A Conversation for Talking Point: Special Occasions away from Home

make the best of where you are at

Post 1

tacsatduck- beware the <sheep> lie

I have only been 'home' for a very limited amount of holidays in the last 7 years that it's become normal to celebrate where ever I have been...just remember where ever you are there are others in the same boat as you...do something with them or do something that you enjoy...call your loved ones on special days to let them know that you are thinking of them but don't dwell on things you have no control over it will only make you misirable...

smiley - chick
(smiley - cuddlesmiley - bunny)


make the best of where you are at

Post 2

The Fairy Melusine

That is some of the best advice I have read on this subject. It is easy to get upset about things you cannot help, but oh so counterproductive.


make the best of where you are at

Post 3

Wejut - Sage of Slightly Odd Occurrences and Owlatron's Australian Thundercat

I spent one Christmas pretending I was home when I wasn't. I rang a few times throughout the day and we pretended like I was there. It was fun.
I quite like spending the holidays with my friends too. It's often less stressful. No family arguements to get involved with, and the people you spend it with think you're suffering so be extra extra nice. I think it's a much better way to spend the festive seasons.
smiley - magic


make the best of where you are at

Post 4

The Fairy Melusine

I haven't quite got to the stage of spending Christmas with friends, though lots of my mates have. It sounds fun and I guess i will do it eventually.


make the best of where you are at

Post 5

Miss Revett

My mother became a Jehovah's Witness about 5 years ago- right after I turned 18. As most people know, Witness celebrate NO holidays; not birthdays, not Christmas, not Easter. Since then I have spent holidays alone, or just completely didn't celebrate them. This year, I have been fortunate enough to join a group of friends with quite a few "orphans"- people who have no family here in Phoenix, or have no family at all. We have decided to have our own Thanksgiving and Christmas and incorporate all of our favorite traditions into this year's celebrations.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more