A Conversation for Talking Point: Television versus Radio

Radio rules

Post 1

Mark Time

There is no contest, radio has the brightest colours, the richest aromas & the characters have so much depth and personality.

The Archers is the only soap anybody needs, Radio 4 comedy is second to none, 'I,m sorry I havent a clue', 'The news quiz', 'Dead ringers', 'Just a minute' all briliant!!

Some of the radio 4 afternoon plays are better than any block buster movie, you can become completely engrossed in them, you can be taken away to where the action is. There is no way you can turn it off before the end (that's why you see people sitting in parked cars listening to the radio). You can interact with the characters (OK shout at the radio) and you can laugh (and cry) out loud.

Don't dis the wireless


Radio rules

Post 2

Stephen

I'd go along with most of this though I don't agree about "Sorry I haven't a clue" or "Just a Minute". They always seem like childen showing off to me.

"The News Quiz" (beats Have I got News hands down) and "Quote Unquote" are my favourite "6-30" shows. We used to have "My Word" and "My Music" as well but since the person who really made(The late great Frank Muir) them is dead I suppose they must remain a fond memory.

Radio has great documentaries, drama, educational programmes, magazines ("Science Now", "Medicine Now" and "Law in Action" prominent amongst them) super current affairs coverage and great music broadcasts across the whole spectrum. I can even forgive Radio 1 as long as I don't have to listen to it!

Radios output is unquestionably wider in scope and higher in quality than TV's and as an added bonus you can enjoy it in more places - driving, working &c!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more