A Conversation for How would a community-led h2g2 be run?

About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 1

Haragai

In the diagram it says that a Member that wants to buy a share, i.e. participate in the LTD by G, needs a UserID (I suppose a U number) with "Real Names Only".
Do you mean to say that one must have a U number with one's real name (unlikely) OR
The Consortium must have one's real name address etc. on record with a reference to a U number ?

Do you explicitly exclude non-registered h2g2 Visitors (without a U number) from participating in the LTD by G ?

Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 2

Mrs Zen

What an interesting question. (I drew the diagrams, btw, which is why I'm answering it).

This is the sort of thing which is up for discussion within the community, so long as whatever we decide is workable from a legal point of view.

We have a couple of factors here

1) Members of the Co Ltd by Guarantee (or presumably the Co-Operative) have to be real people with real names (as I understand it - whoami? has done the research on this).

2) We don't like the idea of - say - Rupert Murdoch telling his staff to all become members without any of them being involved in the site in any way.

So yes - I think that it should be possible to connect a Real Person to a U Number (presumably through their email address). But there's no need for them to actually post on the site at all.

Don't forget that we'll be governed by the Data Protection Act in the UK and the rest of the EU.

My smiley - 2cents As I said - this is up for debate so long as we end up with something that is (a) legal and (b) fair.

Ben


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 3

Mrs Zen

PS there's another diagram to go up in about 20 minutes.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 4

Haragai

tick-tock
eagerly waiting for yet another piece of digital art by The Great Mrs. Zen also renowned fo right-handing her hardqorking hubbie Z.

Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 5

Haragai

*frowns at keyboard*

Maybe drinking coffee whilst reading humourus comments is inadvizable...

Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 6

Sol

Directors of the company need to have real names and addresses. I'm not sure that normal members do, actually.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 7

Sol

Or not, actually members might need to be real people too, but directors are the only ones who have their details on file somewhere relatively public.

*waves* As you were.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 8

Mrs Zen

smiley - rofl

That presumably is what the smiley - tickle smiley is all about.

The two diagrams are here:

http://www.tinyurl.com/h2g2BodiesGroups and http://www.tinyurl.com/h2g2DecisionsDecisions

We're proof-reading the entries. We may be some time. My but I've got used to WYSISYG editors...

Ben


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 9

Z

Can other people check if they can see the documents - we can on the Mac, but not on the PC.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 10

Witty Moniker

I don't see it on my pc nor on my iPhone.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 11

Mrs Zen

I think Pastey's putting them up on the h2g2c2 site and then Z will link to there from here. Unfortunately Z's doing Other Stuff at the moment.

Normal service will be resumed...

... oh yes. This IS normal service. Sorry.

Ben


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 12

Pastey

Oops, didn't notice this thread, sorry about that.
The two diagrams are here:

http://h2g2c2.co.uk/furniture/BodiesAndGroups.jpg

http://h2g2c2.co.uk/furniture/DecisionsDecisions.png


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 13

TRiG (Ireland) A dog, so bade in office

Nitpick: In the "Decisions Decisions" one, there's a /the/ which should be a /they/.

TRiG.smiley - biro


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 14

Haragai

Ummm... for the legal and corporate stuff; do we have a lawer and/or notary whithin the community who could advise ?

Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.


About the diagram - The Legal Entity

Post 15

Z

Well we'd have to seek advice from one, hopefully one will volunteer for free.. but if not yes, we'll go to a solicitor, we've been costing that in our plans actually.


About the diagram - Decisions...

Post 16

Haragai

In the balloon 'h2g2 constitution' I feel you have mixed the legal charter with the Guidelines/Rules for Entries.

Secondly, I feel the 'Moderation and Banning' balloon belongs, as a subset, either in the 'The Guide' or in the 'h2g2 Constitution'.

just nitpicking... :-p

Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.


About the diagram - Decisions...

Post 17

Mrs Zen

Do pick nits, Martin. It's great when people care and it's MUCH better when ideas are tested by friends in theory than by reality in practice.

Think of these as illustrations to communicate ideas though, not diagrams that model the systems in details. You are bang on the nail, things ARE a bit mixed up, but that way we can have the "big picture" all in one place.

When - if - we need to do proper systems modelling, then rest assured I'll take a look at the category errors you've spotted and make certain they are dealt with.

Ben


About the diagram - Decisions...

Post 18

Mrs Zen

Regarding modding - I wasn't sure where to put it.

Personally, I think you are right, and the final arbitration on difficult modding and banning cases won't rest where it's drawn.

I put it where I did because I do think the day-to-day modding sits there though.

It's tricky getting it all on one page. smiley - sigh

Ben


About the diagram - Decisions...

Post 19

Haragai

Ben,
I Understand your plight as I have been there as well (Been There, Done That, Got the T-shirt and the Scars to show for it).

I'll keep nitting those picks for you though.


Cheers!
Martin
---
I know where my towel is. It says so on the towel.

With
have a happy Valentine!


Key: Complain about this post