A Conversation for Chicago-Style Hot Dogs and Hot Dog Stands

A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 21

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

Is this one ready yet Friar? Or are you still busy with RL? smiley - smiley


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 22

Friar

I'm ready to go. But if anyone has suggestoins I'd love to hear them!

Friar


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 23

Ormondroyd

A fine entry, Friar! smiley - hotdogsmiley - ok

I'd say that either the title should be changed to something like 'Chicago-Style Hot Dog Stands', or the bit about what toppings to add to construct a Chicago-style hot dog should come earlier in the entry. But whatever, I'm sure that this entry is on its way to the Edited Guide! smiley - smiley


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 24

Friar

While I didn't change the title or the order of the article, I added a bunch of subheaders to more clearly define the sections. Hopefully that will avoid confusion.

I also added a new preamble, allowing for a Hot Dog Stand header before the original intro.
I added a few footnotes and a (brief) discussion of chili-dogs *shudder*.

Any other thoughts? I'm all ears (not literally, that would be strange).

By the way, there are several other works in progress at the Chicago entry link: A782264. If anybody is interested.

Friar


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 25

Ormondroyd

The new layout works really well. I don't think any more changes are needed there! smiley - ok

It might be a good idea to add a footnote to explain to non-Americans what a 'gyro' is - I had to look it up! Dictionary.com says that it's 'A sandwich made usually of sliced roasted lamb, onion, and tomato on pita bread'. In Britain that'd be called a kebab, although the British kebab would usually have more trimmings like salad, pickles and the all-important chilli sauce.

Talk to a Briton about eating a gyro and they'd probably look at you oddly and wonder why you wanted to eat a welfare cheque (or 'Giro')!


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 26

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

This article is great... the only problem I have with it is the title. It's much more about Chicago street food than it is about hot dogs in particular. 'Chicagoan Street Food' would be appropriate.


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 27

Friar

ok. .
1) I will drop in a note about Gyros (a traditional greek (american-greek?) sandwich)

2)See, about the "street food". Thes restaurants aren't actuaqlly push-carts on the street. They are actually little take-out shops or real restaurants with tables and such.

Enough people have commented on it, so I will concede and alter the title. . .
Thanks for all the great advice, keep it coming!

Friar


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 28

Ormondroyd

Actually, I think the title looks a bit odd now. Shouldn't it be 'Chicago-Style Hot Dogs [plural] and Hot Dog Stands'?

Also, is the singular form of the Greek-American delicacy 'gyro' or 'gyros'?

One last picky point: there's a typo just above the 'Additional menu items' header, where you refer to 'prok'. Fix those and I reckon this entry will be ready to go. smiley - hotdog


A787368 - Chicago-Style Hot Dogs

Post 29

Friar

heading off to fix errors now.

1) Will alter the headr appropriately, thanks (still think it sounds funny this way and *I* still prefer to leave out the stands bit, dispite its not being 100% accurate.

2) The singular IS gyros, like many greek delicacies its singular is spelled with an -os.

3)TY for the heads up on the "prok" typo. . .

Friar


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 30

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 31

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

congratulations!

What could be more appropriate to post a smiley - burger now smiley - winkeye

smiley - burgersmiley - burgersmiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 32

Ormondroyd

smiley - hotdogs and smiley - bubbly all round! smiley - biggrin


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 33

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

smiley - hotdog and smiley - ale for me please smiley - tongueout

Well done smiley - cheers


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 34

Danny B

Sub-edited version is now at A885468. And I'm hungry smiley - biggrin

Let me know if you spot anything, otherwise I'll send it back.

smiley - cheers

Danny B.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 35

Friar

I was tempted on several occassions to mention how great beer is with the hot dog, but, reluctantly, I left that unsaid. If anybody feels that it merits a one-line mention, I certainly wouldn't be opposed.

Otherwise, I love the article as it stands. I have not reread it in its entirety in a while, boy it was fun to, er, research. Almost as much fun as my article on Jack Daniels!

Thanks for everyone's help and input. As always, the article gets better the more people help, and I have had tons of help.

Thanks everybody.

Friar


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 36

Danny B

I've added a line about the smiley - ale and sent it back smiley - ok

Danny B.


Key: Complain about this post