Abi's Community Column

1 Conversation

I have decided to try a new format for this week. I felt that the old style of this column was becoming a little too formulaic and not much fun to write. It probably wasn't all that much fun to read either. Any way, please let me know what you think of the new layout. Do you like it? Loathe it? Wish I would stop writing the flaming thing altogether? Leave me a message. All feedback is gratefully received, printed out and used to light my barbecue. Do you think that was what Jim Morrison really meant?

As ever it has been a busy week of reading, talking and contributing here in the Towers and out there in the Community. On Thursday of last week, I was wandering past Anna's desk when she stopped me to tell me all about one of the the sub's degree results. It was at that moment that it hit me - people who had joined h2g2 as they were heading off to college were now graduating. I then had a rare spurt of creativity1. Why not create a roll of honour for those receiving their results this summer? Why restrict it to this year or to degree results? If you have passed exams since h2g2's launch in April 1999, then leave me a message at the h2g2 Roll of Honour.

One of the places that I visit regularly is Ask h2g2. I always pop my nose round the forum door to check up on what the Community is talking about. Of all the conversations that caught my eye this week, my favourite is Ormondroyd's cry of What should my next vice be?. Forced to give up all his favourite things, the Community are busy trying to find the poor chap a new vice. If you have a suggestion I am sure he would be thrilled to hear from you! Another thread I enjoyed was Which song best sums up your life?. Ask anyone I live with and their suggestion is bound to be 'Clean up Woman' by Betty Wright!

Of the new edited entries I read this week, I really enjoyed the one on Spaghetti alla Carbonara, though this was probably because I am on a diet. The Miracle of Mons is definitely worth reading too, as it raises issues about how humans react during times of extreme stress. In these football-dominated times, what could be better then the story of Arthur Wharton, the first black professional footballer?

But it is not only new entries that have been catching my eye! Consulting that bastion of knowledge, the Infinite Improbability Drive, I was amused to be directed towards some classic entries. Mushrooms that kill Humans is advanced warning to be careful which fungi you pick this autumn. If you are looking for a way to escape the great smoke, why not check out WWOOF? A great way to have some time away from the city and a cheap holiday! Alternatively, have you considered visiting Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles? If climbing it isn't your bag, then at least check out the nutty things that other people have done!

On a final note, have you signed up for the Summer Party? If you are going to be in London on 20th July, 2002 you could do worse then pitching up and meeting the Editorial Team and your fellow Researchers!

Well let me know if you prefer the column this way! Can't stop now, I'm off to boil the cat!

Abi

27.06.02 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Trust me, they are rare!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A774515

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more