A Conversation for H2G2 Living Earth Society

Yes I want to join

Post 101

Woodpigeon

Hi pinefreshpenguin -

Hello from the other side of the world! smiley - smiley

Are you living on the island of Hawaii? Kilauea and all the rest? Then I am massively envious! What a fascinating island you live on!

I update the page with news articles on a fairly regular basis, and I am always interested in any stories or entries that you would like me to promote.

I have added you to the list!

smiley - cheersWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 102

Watermusic

Hi Woodpigeon

Count me in!

My Geology studies started when plate tectonics became the in-phrase. My physical geology marks were brill - but only because I had read a really up to date article in a Science magazine instead of revising!

I now live in an earthquake zone - South West Portugal, and have just started an entry on The Great Earthquake. I found your society by searching on "tsunami".

Watermusicsmiley - cool


Yes I want to join

Post 103

Woodpigeon

Hello Watermusic - you are in! Thanks for dropping by! Your earthquake article looks very interesting. Best of luck in getting it finished. I visited Cape St Vincent a few years ago, so this is somewhat familiar to me.

smiley - cheers

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 104

Reality Manipulator

Please can I join.smiley - smiley

Kat


Yes I want to join

Post 105

Woodpigeon

Hi Postive! You are there. Thanks for signing up. I try to add articles of interest when I find them and I am always willing to hear from people who have had close experiences with nature!

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 106

Reality Manipulator

Woodpigeon I feel more relaxed when I work through wooded areas and sit by the waterside. I find that I am more healthier, the more close I am to nature and less healthier when I am further away from nature. If we damage the enviroment then it effects both indirectly and directly.

When my grandparents used to walk to the seaside and look at the sea, my grandfather would feel a very strong empathy with the sea.

Water has always has had from ancient times healing qualities.


Kat


Yes I want to join

Post 107

Reality Manipulator

smiley - cheersThanks Woodpigeonsmiley - smiley

Kat


Yes I want to join

Post 108

Woodpigeon

I'm a big fan of the sea too. When I have enough free time, I wander down to the coast, spending an hour or two working my way across the rocky coastline.

I'm off to a lecture tonight on "basalt flood plains" - these happen when the earth splits open and billions of tons of lava and noxious fumes erupt into the atmosphere. Thankfully for us, they are not common events. Much of Northern Ireland is covered in basalt from a series of eruptions 65 million years ago. Iceland, however, does pose a risk for flood basalt eruptions.

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 109

Watermusic

Like the Daccan traps.
Perhaps you could put The Great Earthquake on our page as being in Peer review please,
Watermusic


Yes I want to join

Post 110

Woodpigeon

Hi Watermusic, you are there. Thanks for asking me!

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 111

Watermusic


Yes I want to join

Post 112

aortiz

I would like to join to.
Andrea


Yes I want to join

Post 113

tom


Hi Andrea and welcome

I'm sure the registrar will be along shortly to join you up formally.

Would you like to say where you're from? I can't quite make it out from your home page.

Anyone who could sew on a button is incredibly welcome here !!!!!smiley - biggrin

Have a smiley - tea and smiley - cake while you're waitingsmiley - ok


Yes I want to join

Post 114

Woodpigeon

Hello Andrea, you are there smiley - ok! Let me know if you have had any close experiences with the forces of nature, ie an earthquake, a storm, flooding etc, and I will add your account(s) to our researcher's experiences page. I post interesting news stories to the page on a regular basis, and I am always interested in new information about our planet!

Warm regards,

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 115

aortiz

I am from Iowa, USA.


Thank you for the welcome.

I have never been in severe weather other then being surrounded by thunderstorms in Chicago. I have been very fortunate.

Andrea


Yes I want to join

Post 116

moved to new address

Hi Woodpigeon,

Please can I join your lovely group? Am passionate about our planet and all types of weather. I smiley - love thunderstorms come over all smiley - weird when I experience one.

Thank you.

Correne


Yes I want to join

Post 117

Woodpigeon

Hello Corenne,

You are there now - I am particularly interested in recording any experiences you might have had personally. Check out A767991 for example writeups!

Best regards,

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 118

moved to new address

Thanks smiley - rose for allowing me to join. Have put a link on my page so if anyone happens to drop-round for smiley - coffee or smiley - redwine I can show them a brill place to go.

Will contribute to the group but have nothing spectacular to report, apart from a mild earth tremor whilst in Crete in 1979 and the most amazing lightning in Thailand in 1990, plus whilst there, we caught the back-end of a hurricane. The hotel staff tied coconuts back on the trees the next day.smiley - erm Shall never forget that!

One of my lifelong burning desires is to see the Aurora Borealis and even though I grew-up in Scotland I have never seen it.smiley - wah


Yes I want to join

Post 119

Woodpigeon

Yes, it has been one of my ambitions to see it also - and my wish came true last October. I saw the most amazing display where I live in southern Ireland. All I can say is that it is really worth waiting for. There is a very good website called http://www.spaceweather.com which tries to predict auroral episodes. At the moment, things are fairly quiet, but every so often, quite out of the blue, large sunspots appear which raise hell. Here's to the next one!

smiley - peacedoveWoodpigeon


Yes I want to join

Post 120

turvy (Fetch me my trousers Geoffrey...)

Hi All

There should be some good displays at the moment. http://spaceweather.com reported an Aurora watch on 7 April after a coronal mass ejection (a big explosion on the sun!) on 6 April. Tonight's the night. I only wish I have clear skies!smiley - sadface

turvysmiley - cool


Key: Complain about this post