A Conversation for Website Promotion for Beginners

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 21

xyroth

a couple of small points.

the topica link might be problematical, as mentioning it at all a few months ago was enough to get the entire page yikesed.

It also has the problem that it needs both cookies and javascript enabled to work at all, and a lot of people don't have it set that way for security reasons.

The entry also mentions banners, but gets something wrong. Paid for banner advertising doesn't really work, but if you have a banners page on your site (containg banners of all the popular sizes) , it can realy help with the reciprical links.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 22

Sprant; the Stygian One


Hi. The Topica link can be removed without any angst on my part, it's just that beginners may not be able to find that sort of thing on their own and it is still (if you ignore all the promos) a free service. I didn't hear about the page being scuppered for mentioning this provider but it does seem a little draconian smiley - smiley Anyway, I have no BIG views on the subject and am happy to withdraw the link if it is seen as problematic.
I understand what you're saying about cookies and javascript but don't accept that the majority of surfers have them switched off. Most net ingenues will have them switched on because they don't know any better (and that is the default setting on most browsers) whilst most experienced net users have security in place (firewalls, AVS, etc.) to make sure they're not burned whilst enjoying the net to the full. I am always willing to be proved wrong, however smiley - smiley

Regarding banners, I again understand what you are saying but the sites that insist that you carry their banners in order to maintain a reciprocal link to yours are not the ones I am recommending. These are normally the MLM saddo losers who will drop your link the moment they see your link to them is active. A particular waste of time in this area that springs to mind is FFA. Banners can be useful if you know what you're doing but it is not something I would be happy recommending to starters. There are too many charlatans out there.

Perhaps your experience has led you to believe otherwise. I would be happy to hear from you on this subject. The thing I like most about the internet is you can always learn something from someone else out there smiley - smiley

Thanks again for your comments and look forward to hearing from you.

Sprant.com (and yes, you will see a bunch of banners on my site but I can explain smiley - biggrin)


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 23

xyroth

I don't mean the sites that insist you use their banners.

if you have your own banners page, then people givingyou a reciprocal link will often grab one from there. this is often to your advantage, as most sites don't have a selection of sizes, and so end up with a text link instead.

you then stand out quite well.

as regard the topica link, try replacing it with this...

http://dmoz.org/Computers/Internet/Mailing_Lists/Hosting_Companies/

... which is a list of lots of them including topica.

it should get through no problem.


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 24

Sprant; the Stygian One



Oh, I see what you mean now. I will add something to that effect later on.

Thanks for the link, I have updated it on the entry smiley - smiley

Sprant


Key: Complain about this post

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

More Conversations for Website Promotion for Beginners

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more