A Conversation for Mostly Harmless MC - Members

How do I become a member?

Post 1

fourstar787

Hi all,
I am (as I type) wasting time on the internet until I leave the house to go for my CBT training!!!!!
Unfortunatly it's a horrible day (damp and misty!) though I'm hoping this will teach me about riding in naff weather!
Only 2 hours to go (ridiculous I'm 33 and woke up like a kid on christmas day!)
Have always wanted to learn to ride but never had the support from others! But am now in a position where i can fulfill my dream! Yee Haa!

So - to the point!

How do i become a member? - I have no bike.....YET!
Am i allowed to be a member? If so - can I? Pleeeeaaassse?

smiley - erm


How do I become a member?

Post 2

Beatrice

You are very welcome as a member!

Actually, I'm just working on an entry on doing your test, so your feedback on the CBT would be most useful.

Do tell us how it went.


How do I become a member?

Post 3

fourstar787

Update!
CBT where do i start - turned up at 08:30 (starts at 9am - I'm always early) very excited and very nervous! I havdn't ridden a bike since i was 17 and that was in a field on an old scrapper! So i had no idea what to expect! - other than the format of the day (i have done some extensive net searching on CBT)
My Instructor was great, very down to earth and very relaxed.
My first shock was how wide the Susuki VanVan actually was - i had seen several 125's and didn't recall then being quite so big.
after the initial kangaroo start, i started to get the hang of slipping the clutch and manouvering at slow speeds.
By 1:30pm we had had a quick bite to eat and were discussing the road ride section (then a hugely scarey thought occurred to me - the 17 year old lad - who was the other student with me - hadn't driven a car, hadn't read a highway code book and legally would be driving on the road with 'L' plates on his bike he was getting the following week!!!!!!)
Out on the road we practiced the left and right turns into and out of side roads. all slow and controlled!
Then we moved on to roundabouts! correct procedures all the way!
I was leading the trio of bikes trundelling along through the town! and was incredibly surprised at just how alert the instructor was - he was able to keep an eye on the road ahead of me, my buddy learner and his own situation all at the same time! whilst giving instructions, directions, corrective actions etc! Wow!
as the road ride progressed we got less and less info and by the time we had finished it was only directions he was handing out!
What a fantastic day! - nobody said biking was so addictive - can't wait to start my direct access course.
Oh and nothing put a smile on my face more than the feeling you get when other bikers go past and acknowledge you with a nod of the head!
It really make you feel like part of something!!!!!!!
I loved every minute of the day! Can't wait to do more.
Would recommend to everyone! gives you a healthy respect for the road (i'm more observant in the car now!)
thats my storey so far!


How do I become a member?

Post 4

fourstar787

Hi again,
Just re-read what i posted and realised it's just full of the excitement i'm still feeling and not too much of the feedback you asked for. so
CBT is a fantastic course -
it takes you from never having riden a bike through to your first safe and responsibile road ride. you learn all the basiic skills you need to get started. My only critisism would be that you should have to do the theory test before you are let loose - at least you would have a fighting chance of knowing what to expect on the road! It would make you a safer more knowledgable rider too.
But all in all a great, very worthwhile course. My hats off to the guys who teach this stuff!
smiley - oksmiley - biggrin


How do I become a member?

Post 5

MHMC_Admin

hmm, seems the members page needs a bit of updating!

Beatrice - you also don't appear on the page - you ok with me adding you? Shall trawl through the messages and update the page.


How do I become a member?

Post 6

MHMC_Admin

oh, and fourstar747 - if you want, in the meantime, you can let us know your ideal/fantasy bike for the members page?
And any current bike you may have?


How do I become a member?

Post 7

Beatrice

Yes please, add me as a member.

Oh, and my first bike was a Honda 90, about 20 years ago...smiley - senior


How do I become a member?

Post 8

fourstar787

Hi again,
I don't yet have a bike smiley - wah
as I just only recently passed my CBT and am about to do the direct access course.
Can't really afford a bike at the mo, thought i'd do my test before the new laws come into force next year!
but have been bitten by the bug - I want to get myself a Triumph Trophy when i do scrape some pennies together - so you could say the the 1200 Trophy is my fantasy bike!
smiley - biggrin


How do I become a member?

Post 9

lorracash

So how was it? did you pass? Ive just had a go on my husbands prince 125
its great, so hoping for more lessons so I can put in for my CBT

yea just like christmas .......smiley - run


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more