A Conversation for The Broadmoor Siren [Peer Review version]

Peer Review: A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 1

Icy North

Entry: The Broadmoor Siren - A7052726
Author: Icy North - U225620

Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 2

Dea.. - call me Mrs B!

Hi Icy,

Just had a quick flick through it and it's a nice entry, I'll read it in-depth later. I was seconded for 3 months in the early 90's to work in the Rehabilitation unit there and I remember the siren well! It sounds even worse from the inside (honest, I was working theresmiley - biggrin)

One thing I would quibble about is:

<>

It is one of 3 max security hospitals in England. There are four in the UK, including Carstairs in Lanarkshire which covers Scotland and N. Ireland.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 3

Casper, the friendly spirity-type-entity from Scotland (though currently elsewhere...)

Hi there,

Interesting entry - I'd never heard of the siren before.
One thing - wasn't Ian Brady, the Moors Murderer, sent to Broadmoor? He might be worth adding to your list.

smiley - goodluck


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 4

Icy North

Thanks Deakie - I've made that small correction. smiley - smiley

As someone with insider knowledge in the early 1990's, I'd be particularly interested in your memories of the last breakout.

smiley - cheers Icy


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 5

Icy North

Thanks Casper smiley - smiley

I don't know how I missed Brady! He's there now.

smiley - cheers Icy


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 6

sprout

Excellent entry - just the kind of thing I like to read.

smiley - cheers

sprout


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 7

McKay The Disorganised

smiley - doh And I thought this was going to be about one of my ex's.

Good stuff.

smiley - cider


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 8

Icy North

Thanks Sprout, thanks Mckay.

Thought I'd post to say the siren's sounding right now.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 9

AlexAshman

smiley - bigeyes

This is a rather interesting entry - wish we had more of these coming through smiley - ok


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 10

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

It's very good, and I don't think it steps on the prospective toes of anyone who will be wanting to write a more general entry about Broadmoor in the future. Nice one.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 11

Icy North

Thanks Alex & BH.

Yes - I didn't want to cover the role or history of Broadmoor in this entry - they deserve a far more in-depth treatment. I just wanted a thought-provoking piece about an everyday threat that we don't often consider. The notorious inmates I listed would benefit from separate entries too. I may write a couple if this one gets accepted.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 12

Gnomon - time to move on

My only concern with this is your use of the phrase "loony bin". What do others think?

There shouldn't be quotation marks around the initial quotation since it is in italics.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 13

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

'Loony bin' will probably not pass the scrutiny of the Editors.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 14

echomikeromeo

I agree.

And although I know it's a pain, if you could pick out the quotation marks that Microsoft Word has made curvy annoying and replace them with normal quotes, that would be terrific. It's just that they're a pet peeve of mine.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 15

Z

I also agree about Looney Bin. Other than that it's an excellent entry.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 16

aka Bel - A87832164

Yes, I was surprised about this expression, although I'm sure it's how people usually call it, it's probly not pc Oh, and there are more comments here : http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/F2941845?thread=1551836&latest=1


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 17

Icy North

Aagh, I've been nicked by the PC police! It's a fair cop, guv.

Let's consider alternatives to loony bin.

"lunatic asylum" - nah, not PC either. It's that "lunatic" word isn't it? - these days it conjures up some image from our dark psyche. We feel collectively responsible for the poor way in which our forebears treated the mentally ill. Not only did we shut them away where we didn't have to think about them, but we labelled them with terms like "lunatic". It's an odd word - it originates from how we once believed insanity came with changes of the moon, but that's another guide entry.

"asylum"? - not specific enough

"madhouse"? That's worse than loony bin.

OK, let's try Rogets: mental home, mental hospital, psychiatric hospital, nuthouse (!), booby-hatch (!!), funny farm.

That's enough of that. I'm not convinced there is a good alternative. It's a maximum security hospital, but that's a mouthful, and it doesn't really indicate the mental instability of the inmates. May the Editors do what they think is best. It's they who shall be sued after all.


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 18

Icy North

... and the quotes have gone - thanks smiley - smiley


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 19

AlexAshman


I think Mental Hospital is best smiley - erm


A7052726 - The Broadmoor Siren

Post 20

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

I was going to comment on the 'loony bin' but lots of people beat me to it... (booby-hatch?!) good Entry, will we be seeing an Entry on Broadmoor itself as an encore?


Key: Complain about this post