Round 1: General Knowledge
1. What words are written in large, friendly red letters on the cover of the Guide?
2. What is Douglas Adams' middle name?
3. Who co-wrote "Last Chance To See" with Douglas Adams?
4. Who wrote the Theme used for the Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy?
5. In 1976, Douglas Adams, Graham Chapman and Simon Jones worked together in which TV Comedy?
"Out Of The Trees"1
6. In 1981, Marvin The Paranoind Android had a number 51 hit with what song?
Round 2: General Knowledge Generally Related To The Guide
7. How many mothers does Zaphod share with his semi-cousin Ford?
8. How much damage would the bulldozer suffer if it rolled over Arthur?
None at all.
9. Why did Trillian miss the Wednesday lunch date with Arthur?
She was in a black hole all morning.
10. Where did Ford Prefect get his towel?
The Salisbury branch of Marks And Spencers.
11. What is the foulest word in the Universe?
12. What does Arthur have nightmares of happening to him when he dies?
Going to Southend.
Round 3: Doctor Who
13. For how long was Douglas Adams script editor on Doctor Who?
14. Douglas Adams co-wrote the story "City Of Death" for Doctor Who. Which two stories did he write alone?
The Pirate Planet, Shada
15. One of these was not fully filmed due to a BBC strike. The plot later formed part of the basis of what book?
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
16. In what Doctor Who story does the Doctor read Oolon Caluphid's "Origin's Of The Universe", saying, "He got it wrong on the first line! Why didn't he ask someone who saw it happen?"?
Destiny Of The Daleks
17. The Fifth Doctor, Peter Davison, played what part in the TV series?
The Dish Of The Day3
18. Which Hitchhikers book began life as "Doctor Who And The Krikkitmen"?
Life, The Universe And Everything
Round 4: The Radio Series
19. Who co-wrote Episodes 5 and 6 of the series along with Douglas Adams?
20. What 5 things are contained in Roosta's Towel?
- Yellow - Protein
- Green - Vitamin B+C
- Pink - Wheat Germ Extract
- Brown - Barbecue Sauce
21. What is Lintilla's job?
22. How many Lintilla clones are there?
578 thousand million
23. What is the Tran-Stellar Spaceline vessel waiting for?
Small, Lemon-soaked paper knapkins.
24. How does Zaphod escape after being eaten by the Hagunenon?
It evolves into a Space Capsule.
25. After Arthur Dent noticed Marvin whistling Pink Floyd, what two (non Pink Floyd) songs does Marvin play?
Rock 'n' Roll Music and Also Sprach Zarathustra
26. According to Hig Hurtenflurst, what does K I L L E D only happen to spell?
Round 5: Dirk Gently
27. In which Hitchhikers book are the words "Long, Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul", the title of the second Dirk Gently novel, used?
Life, The Universe And Everything
28. "The Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul" begins with the entance, "It can hardly be a coincidence that no language has ever produced the expression..." what?
"As pretty as an airport."
29. What is Dirk Gently's real name?
Round 6: The Television Series
30. In which episode of the Television series does Douglas Adams appear naked?
31. How does Marvin break into the Disaster Area spacecraft?
By saying "Abracdiodular Servi-systems"
32. How many BAFTAs did the television series win?
33. On the DVD of the series, how do you get the Animation Easter Egg?
On the "Outer Planets" men, turn on the subtitles, highlight "Go To Inner Planets", press left, highlight the "Don't Panic" that now appears, and press enter.
Round 7: The Isle of Wight
In the Virgin interview, Douglas Adams said his best childhood memory was of the Isle of Wight.
34. What famous Isle of Wight Band is made up of Hitchhikers fans?
35. In "The Meaning Of Liff", what does Solent mean?
The state of serene self-knowledge reached through drink.
36. In "The Meaning Of Liff", what does Shanklin mean?
The hoop of skin around a single slice of salami.
Round 8: The Novels
37. Where did Arthur Dent stick his Babel Fish at the beginning of "So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish"?
In the goldfish bowl.
38. What is Arthur Dent's daughter called?
Random Frequent Flyer Dent.
39. In "Young Zaphod Plays It Safe", what is in the capsule that escaped to Earth?
Round 9: Computer Games
40. Who wrote the "Starship Titanic" novel?
41. In 1987 Douglas Adams released a game where the aim was to persuade your bank that you have changed address. What was it called?
42. How do you get the Babel Fish in Infocom's 1984 Text Adventure version of "The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy"?
- Take off dressing gown and put it on the hook
- Cover drain with towel.
- Place satchel in front of the robot panel.
- Place Junkmail on satchel.
- Press babelfish dispenser button
The winner of this quiz, and indeed the only entrant, was Tube, who got 33 out of 42! Well done!