A Conversation for Mornington Crescent - the Game

First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 241

DoppelgangerBumboof

Oh, why don't I ever see these things until they're too late? Of course you'll raise a blue flag after I pass my turn, it's what any self-respecting M.C. player would do. Hmm... it's also quite a problem for me.

Wait a tick... Aha! You've left yourself wide open with your oh-so-clever move. I'll set up camp in Finchley Road and Frognal for two turns so that I can hire some university students and send them via the sewer lines to capture your Flag and take it strait to Kentish Town West. As a bonus, the Anciliarry Capture Rule allows me to set up some red velvet ropes around your Flag and charge a green counter for passers-by to see it. Now what good does your Green Station do you?


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 242

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

A-ha! the very ploy I was waiting for! I have secretly aquired three "resting" second-unit crews, and fitted all their arc-lamps with UV-only filters!

I send them after the red, green and yellow flags. At dusk, they will point their modified arc-lamps at them and make them all appear my own pale "electric blue" (no connection smiley - blush) colour, allowing me to transect St, Paul's! That places me on the Circle line, anti-clockwise, with enough inertia to choose my disembarcation zone as I see fit. smiley - nahnah


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 243

DoppelgangerBumboof

That was just plain dirty. And tricksy, too. I suppose I could... no, that wouldn't be safe at all.

Hmm... I suppose I'll have to let you get away with that one. I'll move along to... oh wait, I have to stay here because I set up camp. Oh well. I'll just find someone willing to sell me a pie, blueberry if possible, and await your next move.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 244

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Oh dear. This is all getting a bit too modern and new fanlged. What about the good old fashioned moves? I simply put on a wooly hat, duck under all your silly lights, and catch the tube down to Sloane Square. Simplicity itself. AND I don't need to put 50p in the meter!


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 245

DoppelgangerBumboof

Interesting... I'll play along with your old-fashioned rules, if you insist. However, you'll have to give me a bit more time to post my next move, as I'm a little busy at the moment. Among other things, I've been trying to explain to someone why I can't explain The Rules to them. Be back in a bit (I hope).


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 246

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Explaining the rules?? You CAN'T explain the rules.
Mornington Crescent is played by feel, by touch, by instinct. The skill lies in knowning the rules WITHOUT knowing the rules. The rules are there. You just need to be in touch with them. Sense them. Feel them. Let the rules flow through you. Don't look for them, don't try to explain them. They will find you. Let them in. Accept them. Know them. Live them. And then blast your opponent out of the tube with a swift Clause 22b, followed by a call of Rule 17c, subsection 12 (All players delaying the flow of play may be fined 2 blue counters by the player to their left, except on Fridays when they are awarded a green counter, and a free move at their convenience).
As such, and today being Thursday, I move to Hyde Park Corner, and have a swift look above ground to see if Trisha McMillan is going by on her moped.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 247

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

I take it as 2 weeks have passed with no counter move that I have finally bamboozled everyone, without even resorting to calling Mornington Crescent. Possibly the thought of Trisha was too much for these tube dwellers to handle? Who knows? Oh well...


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 248

DoppelgangerBumboof

Ah-ha!! You've bamboozled no one! I've simply fooled you with my ridiculously long (but excusable) absence. Hello? Is anyone still here? AM I TOO LATE?!


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 249

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Okay, your absence bamboozled me slightly, but your lack of a comeback move has confused me further. Come on, get a grip man!!
Blackfriers. With a chip buttie.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 250

DoppelgangerBumboof

Don't worry, that last pause was also extremely excusable. Euston Square. How's that for a comeback move?


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 251

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Playing an interchange on a Tuesday is a bold move indeed, but easily countered with Chancery Lane. Retaliatory moves to this will not be permitted on a Sunday.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 252

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Quiet in here...

I can only assume a pause of one and a half years means I scared them all off...

Buggrit. I claim Mornington Crescent in the name of Moonhogg, and to the memory of Bill.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 253

DoppelgangerBumboof

Ohh... how could I have possibly missed the fact that you had posted and I hadn't replied? And then forgot about the game for so long? And then again not noticed your reply, for three weeks? Shame on me, buckets of shame. Alas, your victory in this case is justified. Congratulations.


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 254

Moonhogg - Captain Coffee Break

Thank you, old friend. You may be interested to learn that there is a busy game thread going on over here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/F2137311?thread=367676&show=20&skip=3120#pi3138 You'd be most welcome to come and join in!


First game (Mornington Crescent)

Post 255

DoppelgangerBumboof

Why, I would be honored, of course.


Key: Complain about this post