A Conversation for Talking Point: Bond, James Bond...

Licensed to what?

Post 1

Metro

Can anyone tell me where this "Licensed to kill" idea came from? Does it have a parallel in real life? Frankly I think, that the idea goes against the very notion of civilization. It is funny, but what if Mr. Bond kills too many and too often.

Favorite quote (Fram Q, as always):

"James, You are licensed to kill, not to breake the traffic laws."

At least he knows there is always dullness and boredome in the end. And maybe even hopes for it.


Licensed to what?

Post 2

Metro

Correction. Q would say:

"007, you have a license to...."


Licensed to what?

Post 3

Dinsdale Piranha

Anorak alert!!!! Correction to the correction.

Actually, Q would say 'You have a licence to kill'

Tee hee.


Licensed to what?

Post 4

Dancing Ermine

I think the idea behind the licence was that a limited number of agents (All of whom have 00' numbers) would not be prosecuted if they killed someone during the course of their mission. Furthermore the Crown would offer some protection if they got caught.

In the actual film Licence to Kill (provisionally titled Licence Revoked) Bond's licence is taken away because he threatens to avenge Felix Lighter's wife/fiancee's murder. I suppose he'd face trial much as anyone else if he killed anyone while not licenced.


Licensed to what?

Post 5

Dinsdale Piranha

Another anorak alert!!!!

I'm really, really sorry about this, but it's just one of my personal bugbears: that should be '...while not licensed.'

'licence' is a noun, but 'license' is a verb.

It's the same with 'practice' and 'practise'.

Please excuse me, I can't help myself.


Licensed to what?

Post 6

Dancing Ermine

smiley - tongueout


Licensed to what?

Post 7

Dinsdale Piranha

Thank you.

Just don't get me started on 'less' and 'fewer'.

smiley - winkeye


Licensed to what?

Post 8

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Yes indeed! The fewer we hear about that the less complaints you'll hear from me ..also.


smiley - peacesignsmiley - smiley
~jwf~


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more