A Conversation for Talking Point: Bond, James Bond...

The Cars

Post 1

Vonce

I was at an auto show with my father a few years ago, right when one of the Bond films was coming out. When we were at the Aston Martin display, my father jokingly asked the information man whether the new models came with ejector seats. He said no, and seemed very displeased when he then added, "Now they have an Irish James Bond who drives a BMW."

Neither my father nor I mentioned that at that moment we were just heading over to the BMW display.


The Cars

Post 2

Mycroft

He was right to be displeased - James Bond saved Aston Martin from bankruptcy.


The Cars

Post 3

Puregenius

But the news is that Aston is coming back in the next film. Oh how I want a Vanquish.


The Cars

Post 4

Scumbag

The latest Aston Martin kicks BMW's arse! It's a far better car for J. B. (as his friends never call him) than a cruddy Beamer.


The Cars

Post 5

Mycroft

At least Skoda made it onto the shortlist this timesmiley - winkeye


The Cars

Post 6

Yowuzupman- New Top Speed 122 (thats mph you metric fools)

how many cup holders does the new martin have? smiley - biggrin

....too bad about Q....


The Cars

Post 7

Puregenius

Does anyone know if it is John Cleese replacing Desmond Lewelyn as Q?


The Cars

Post 8

Dinsdale Piranha

My favourite car gadget was the 'burglar protection' on the Esprit.


The Cars

Post 9

Blat

John Cleese plays 'R', 'Q's second in command. He was introduced in "The World Is Not Enough" before Desmond Llewellyn (the actor who played 'Q') was tragically killed in a car accident.
Yes, John Cleese will be in the next Bond film but will still be called 'R', as far as I know.
Blat smiley - smiley


The Cars

Post 10

Yowuzupman- New Top Speed 122 (thats mph you metric fools)

.....no body can replace Q....I'm sure they'll work some way to tie his RL death with the movie.... I rather liked the old fasion ejector seat....smiley - biggrin


The Cars

Post 11

Wowbagger

I remember as a young fellow watching 'The Spy Who Loved Me' at the drive-in and watching Bond's car go underwater and turn into a submarine. I quite vividly remember thinking "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen!"

Watching it again recently it still is pretty cool.

Other memorable cars include:
-The Astin Martins (ALWAYS the Astin Martins LOL)
-The Car stunt in 'The Man With The Golden Gun" hwere it does the loop-de-loop.
-Peirce Brosnan's remote controlled car in "Tomorrow Never Dies" (the only decent thing in the flick)


The Cars

Post 12

Wowbagger

Aston Martins, sorry. smiley - smiley


The Cars

Post 13

Dinsdale Piranha

The 2CV through the olive grove was pretty good. It allowed Rog to do his eyebrow at one point as a sort of ironic 'Thanks for letting me through'


The Cars

Post 14

Blat

For me it will always be the Aston Martin DB5, with built in gadgetry. Especially the ejector seat.
And who would of thought that the in-car mapping unit used in "Goldfinger", a seemingly impossible device in the mid sixties, would be a reality only twenty or so years later?


The Cars

Post 15

Yowuzupman- New Top Speed 122 (thats mph you metric fools)

yeah, fiction makes things possible eh?


Not a car

Post 16

Yanichka

It's not technically a car, but my very favorite James Bond mode of transportation is the cello case which he uses for a sled, in "The Living Daylights", my favorite Bond movie. Yes it's Timothy Dalton, but that one has the most interesting story, IMHO.


Key: Complain about this post