A Conversation for Talking Point: Bond, James Bond...

Best Bond

Post 1

Demon Drawer

Going to get lynched for saying this.

I know think it's Pierce Brosnan.

*ducks for cover in Sean Connery's home city*

Although the original is a close run second IMHO


Best Bond

Post 2

Will Of God

Well, despite the fact you are obviously wrong... I must say that Brosnan does make a wonderful Bond, especially refreashing after that Dalton loser.


Best Bond

Post 3

Asterion

I would have to say Brosnan. Connery afterwards, but that burr has always seemed out of place to me.

Best movie: either Goldeneye or Tomorrow Never Dies. *ducks for cover* Well, it's hard to beat either a gigantic EMP or Michelle Yeoh.


Best Bond

Post 4

Kirikugi - Muse of Lavalamps

Pierce Brosnan, then Connery. I would have to say my fave movie is... hummm... Diamonds are Forever. Or possibly Goldeneye. The game of it was brilliant too. I wasn't any good at it though...
My favorite gadget is probably his watch with lasers and tracking devices etc.
-K


Best Bond

Post 5

Awix

Best Bond? Hmmm. If you mean best as in 'most like the character Fleming wrote about in the books', then Timothy Dalton. But if that's not a consideration, then I'm afraid I'm going for Connery, simply because he originated the role and most of his films are very good. But there's something to be said for all of them - except Lazenby, of course... Best film - From Russia with Love. Or Goldfinger. I can never decide...


Best Bond

Post 6

Asterion

The Goldeneye N64 game is great. Too bad I never got any good at it.


Best Bond

Post 7

Puregenius

I have to say that I think Brosnan is the best Bond. I think that he manages to get the right mix of humourous and serious moments into the character. Or maybe it is just because he is the Bond of my generation. I think that that is a factor.


Best Bond

Post 8

unremarkable: Lurker, OMFC, LPAS

mmmm... the N64 game... yessss... got quite good at that one (no professional mind you, but i could take care of meself)


Best Bond

Post 9

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Well I have got to go with Connery in spite of having attended the same school as Pierce (who comes a close second of course).

That game is one of the best ever.


Best Bond

Post 10

Scumbag

Thank GOD nobody has said 'Roger Moore'


Best Bond

Post 11

Pinniped

Only Connery has come anywhere near the character, and then not very near.
I'll admit that the N64 game is good, and some of the films are OK, but none of it matches up to the books. If you haven't done so, try reading "Live and Let Die" and see what's been lost in transposing it to the screen. Fleming's Bond wasn't remotely about flash stunts and gadgets, though he WAS a Scot (so the burr is not at all out of place!). The books had a real edge. "He disagreed with something that ate him" has to be the classic quote, though I'm not sure it made it to the films. They didn't portray Felix Leiter as having most of his extremities missing, did they?
OK, I admit it, I'm a sentimental old git. Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too. Not many people know that. (At least Harry Palmer wasn't mis-cast)
Pinniped


Best Bond

Post 12

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I think my favorite was Lazenby. I thought he was the most human of all the Bonds, but I guess that doesn't have much to do with the Bond in the book. I really enjoyed Moore's sense of humor with the role. I'm a huge fan fo Sean Connery, but I still have to say that I liked Lazenby best to be contrary.

I'm a little tired of Bond movies. They should stay in the 60's and 70's where they belong.

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron
The World is Not Enough - Bond familiy motto


Best Bond

Post 13

Crescent

Dalton, by a long shot smiley - smiley Followed closely by Sean in the very first one he did. Then the rest. Until later....
BCNU - Crescent


Best Bond

Post 14

Dark Side of the Goon

Connery was the best Bond, but Dalton's performance was closest to the character in the book.

Peirce Brosnan is playing an almost perfect balance between Moore's humour, Connery's style and Dalton's steel. He also rocked on "Muppets Tonight".


Best Bond

Post 15

Barneys Bucksaws

Sean Connery was absolutely the best bond, but Brosnan has to be the best looking!


Best Bond

Post 16

Demon Drawer

Votes so far in order of playing the part

Connery 4
Lazenby 1
Moore 0
Dalton 2
Brosnan 4

Will of God only said that I was wrong to say Brosnan but didn't say who was the best so I cannot place his vote.


Best Bond

Post 17

Ashley


Are you all absolutely mad?

As Barney said - Brosnan is a babe but Connery is Bond. smiley - biggrin


Best Bond

Post 18

Demon Drawer

Ooh! Our first vote from Bush House.

Dang and just after I'd posted the latest scores too. smiley - winkeye


Best Bond

Post 19

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Connery/Brosnan/Connery/Brosnan.... oh can't decide
Brosnan's bit slicker, but Connery (Ashley - are you implying that he *wasn't* sexy when he was bond? smiley - winkeye)

my fave film is probably From Russia With Love...


Best Bond

Post 20

Ashley

DD can you also do a poll for Bond Girls

For me, and hundreds f other I am sure, there is only one Bond Girl - the original, the one and only, the truly sublime Ursula Andress.

When one looks at Dr No today, the image of her in that suit emerging from the water is still as tantalizing as it was in the 1960s. Then she opened her mouth and out poured this husky accented tinged voice.

The World was not ready for that.

So my vote for fave bBond Girl is Ursula Andress, followed very closely by Maude Adams (?)


Key: Complain about this post