A Conversation for The H2G2 Telephone Sanitizers

Suggestions and comment

Post 1

Tube - the being being back for the time being

Great idea! smiley - smiley

Comments (all of course MHO only):
1. It would seem necessary to state that a Researcher only posts in hir position as Arbitrator when posting in the Arbitration Forums, lest heavily pushing their opinion in an ongoing discussion. (Like it's difficult for TPTB to post something that's seen as a personal view rather than H2G2's)

2. The Arbitrator's ruling in case of flaming etc. would need some definition, i.e. the scope of possible rulings has to be defined. In case the Arbitrator find that there was a breach of the House Rules (flaming, trolling...) the question is whether the Arbitrator can impose a (Final) Warning or merely nudge TPTB to issue one. IMO, BBC/H2G2 policy would only allow for a nudging. But that should be sufficient.

3. Further, do we want Mediation or Arbitration? Mediation being the neutral third party helping the other two to find a solution without deciding hirself (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A224614); the other being the neutral third party handing down a decision to which the two are bound (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A588170). Or we could try a mixture. Say, when there's been no agreement reached (mediation style) within the proposed one week (seems a good time-span) (or it's obvious that there won't be an agreement), the Third party is free to rule (arbitrate).
I suggest that the mix would suit the needs of the community best as it is more flexible and a set Arbitrator's ruling is not always necessary.

4. The initial choice of Arbitrators should be up to TPTB, since they have all the records about us and might have the best idea of who's suited best. After the initial round of appointments, the power of appointing might be handed down to all the Arbitrators themselves or a quorum of say 5 with an 4:1 majority.

5. The initial bunch of Arbitrators should work out the rules/guidelines with TPTB.

6. Should the records of the proceedings be kept and be accessible to other Arbitrators (only), so that we build a collection of decisions as to guide other Arbitrators? I'd say yes.

Again Great Idea! Should be implemented ASAP!

Tube


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more