A Conversation for Philip K. Dick

Paranoia

Post 1

Phryne- 'Best Suppurating Actress'

Don't know much about him, but this is obvious in his work and an important feature of his life. Also alternative realities.
I'd really like to see this entry, BTW.


Paranoia

Post 2

Jacksrevenge

Dear Weakpun,

You may want to include some anecdotes about PKD's paranoia, for example that he believed he once killed a cat when he was a child by *wishing it to death* smiley - yikes! He also once said in an interview:

"I used to believe the universe was basically hostile. And that I was misplaced in it, I was different from it... fashioned in some other universe and placed here, you see. So that it zigged while I zagged. And that it had singled me out only because there was something weird about me. I didn't really groove with the universe.
I had a lot of fears that the univers would discover just how different I was from it. My only suspicion about it was that it would find out the truth about me, and its reaction would be perfectly normal: it would get mesmiley - monster. I didn't feel that it was malevolent, just perceptive. And there's nothing worse than a perceptive universe if there's something weird about you.
But this year I realized that that's not true. That the universe is perceptive, but it's friendly... I just don't feel that I'm different from the universe anymore."

So much for Paranoia smiley - winkeye.
I found this one in Collected Stories #4, "Minority Report"; there is probably much more in the interviews collection "Only Apparently Real". You might want to have a look about it.

For the rest, get on writing! smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more