A Conversation for Philip K. Dick

PKD

Post 1

El Fouche

He was one of those SF authors I though that I ought to read when I was younger (i.e. ten eyars old!) because everyone said how great he was, but to be honest the first book of his I tried to read (Dr Bloodmoney, not one of his best) was way over my head. Later on I discovered the Martian Time Slip and A Scanner Darkly (which would make a great film - what if, it asks, an undercover narcotics agent who is also a user gets his undercover alter-ego as his next bust - and is so drugged out that he does not ralise that both people are himself - Fight CLub eat your heart out, PKD did it decades earlier!).

Then came Blade Runner, and I must admit I did read Do Androids... afterwards and was impressed. Now everyone want a bit of him it seems, but I think the best of PKD will always be unfilmable, his exloration of distorted reality and self is beoyond the reach of minstream cinema (Tarkovsky could have done it (remember Solaris?) were he still alive, but not Speilberg). If all the films do is introduce a new audience to his work, then all the better.

However, they have made a decent film out of Minority Report, so can't complain there either.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more