Zork - More Than You Ever Wanted To Know

3 Conversations

For over twenty years now, Zork has been a beloved series of computer games, that has spawned many well known catch phrases1, popularized other various words and phrases2, and has developed a cult following of many senselessly devoted fans across the world.


To tell the history of the Zork universe, one must start with a game that is no longer considered strictly Zork continuity, although it is still remembered with fondness. During June of 1977 at the prestigious MIT, four computer programers worked out the basics of a game that had been inspired by Dungeons And Dragons and Crowther and Woods' "Adventure" text game. These four programmers, Dave Lebling, Marc Blank, Bruce Daniels, and Tim Anderson, finished their game and never got around to naming it. Whenever they had implemented a game in the past, they always labelled it "Zork" until they came up with a better name to give it3. Zork was, originally, just made as a fun project for the four of them to work on. However, when they first released the game they had still not chosen a new name for it. So, the Mainframe Zork (as it came to be known) kept the name "Zork"4.


Somewhere along the line, the programmers came to a mutual decision to form a company named "Infocom", that would create and market text adventures. After a few discussions among themselves, it was decided that since Zork was already a game that they would have no trouble reshaping to fit onto the truly floppy floppy disks of the time, Zork became the first game to ever come out with the Infocom label. The Mainframe Zork was then cut into three fairly large chunks, expanded a bit, and sold as The Zork Trilogy. The game Zork One was practically taken entirely from the Mainframe version, Zork Two had new parts added, and Zork Three was mostly new territory that used some similar puzzles from the original Mainframe Zork. The final unused puzzle from the Mainframe Zork was finally used in Sorcerer, but that's still a long way away.


The Games

Zork One: The Great Underground Empire

West Of House

You are in an open field, west of a white house with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.



So begins the first game in the Zork Trilogy. This first third of the Zork Trilogy is a pretty straightforward treasure hunt. The player's quest is to locate the Twenty Treasures of Zork that have been hidden away in a dangerous section of the land of Quendor5, by using your wits, your sword, and your lantern. Most of the treasures are hidden inside a mysterious white house, that leads to intricate caverns and mazes through the cellar.


Over the course of the game, a constant thorn in the player's side is The Thief, a character described as a "lean and hungry gentleman" who will steal treasures, and even battle the player to the death. Needless to say, the game does not end until you can defeat the Thief in his own lair and reclaim any stolen valuables.


When the first nineteen treasures have been stored away in the player's Trophy Case, the twentieth treasure becomes available. This last treasure is a parchment that will show the location of the game's end. Once the instructions on the parchment have been followed, the mission continues in the next game.


Zork Two: The Wizard Of Frobozz

Zork Two begins in the Stone Barrow where Zork One ended. As soon as the game begins, the player is reunited with the sword and lantern, and faces a new task: defeating the capricious (and somewhat senile) Wizard of Frobozz, and stealing his wand. While many elements of this game closely resemble the treasure hunting styles that the Zork One offered, the treasures in this game are merely used as collateral in a deal you make near the end of the game.


Over the course of the game, the player will undoubtedly be confronted by the Wizard of Frobozz, who may do any number of things. Sometimes the Wizard will just watch curiously, other times he will show up, mutter something, and vanish just as quickly. However, the wizard is most dangerous when he casts spells. The wizard is armed with an arsenal of spells, all of which begin with the letter 'F'. When the player finally succeeds in conquering the Wizard and stealing his wand, safe passage to the secret door that leads to the game's end is granted.


Zork Three: The Dungeon Master

The final game in the Zork Trilogy is very different from its predecessors. Sure, the game starts with the same lantern, and even your old sword becomes available after a little game play, but many aspects of the first two games have been altered. The game doesn't even have the same Treasure Hunt feel that the first two did, although it may resemble a scavenger hunt at some points. Unlike the firest two games, the object of this game is not to find a quest object, and it isn't to conquer some mysterious character who only seems to have been created to torture you during the game. Instead, the player's goal is to pass the final tests of the mysterious Dungeon Master who has been monitoring the player's progress through the dungeons ever since the beginning of Zork One. If you succesfully pass all of the Dungeon Master's puzzles and traps, the player earns the right to become the next Dungeon Master, as well as gaining access to a ridiculous amount of treasure and magical abilities.


Another aspect of this game that differs from first two is the scoring system. The first games would give you points for successfully solving a puzzle, finding certain objects, or visiting certain places. However, in this game the player is awarded points for pretty much just taking steps to the correct solution of puzzles. It is hypothetically possible to gain a perfect score in the game without actually having correctly solved any puzzles!


This is the last game of the original Zork Trilogy. After that, however, Infocom produced several sister games that were set in the same fictional world. The first of these was "Enchanter."


Enchanter

The Enchanter's Saga6 was entirely different from the original trilogy. First of all, you are a different sort of person in these games. Instead of being an adventurer who's only motivation seems to be greed and the thrill of adventure, you are an enchanter who is working to rid the world of evil. Also, where the most commonly held items in the original Trilogy were the lantern and sword, in the Enchanter's Saga, you go everywhere with your spell book. When light is needed, you simply cast the Frotz spell, and most fighting is done by outwitting opponents with various apparently simple spells. Also, these games keep track of time and vital statistics, so you have to eat, sleep, and drink in these games.


The first game, Enchanter, starts out with an interesting plot. The game begins with a powerful wizard named Belboz consulting with the Circle Of Enchanters7 about an evil warlock named Krill who has set in motion powerful spells that could easily plunge the world into eternal night. It is decided that, since Krill would easily notice any powerful enchanters attempting to stop him, an apprentice should be sent. The apprentice, of course, is you.


The majority of this game takes place in a crumbling castle that Krill has moved into, and where he has apparently set up a cult in the throne room. Most of the game is comprised of you searching the castle, and finding spells that you can add to your spell book. Eventually, you will come across spells so powerful that they can only be cast once in the game. When you gain enough firepower and insight into what's going on, the player can easily locate Krill's secret hideaway and foil his plans. If you are succesful in this endeavor, the game ends with the player gaining a position on the Circle of Enchanters.


Sorcerer

This is the first Zork game that was not written by one of the original four programmers. Instead, Steve Meretzky, one of the most noted text adventure game authors of our time, tried his hand at the land of Quendor (the setting for the Zork games).


This game starts out just a few years after the defeat of Krill. Shortly into the game, the player makes the discovery that Belboz has been possessed by an evil demon named Jeearr, and is preparing to unleash a reign of terror on the land. While this game is very similar to the first one in the method of game play (searching for various spells to give the player clues as to how you should advance), this game covers a wider variety of locations than Enchanter did, and magic potions are made available along with the standard spells.


This game eventually leads to a confrontation with the demon Jeearr, who is easily vanquished if the proper preperations have been made. In the end, Belboz decides that it is high time for his retirement, and he elects the player to the position as the head of the Circle of Enchanters.


Spellbreaker

The final game of the Enchanter's Saga takes an interesting twist: instead of there being an evil villain to defeat from the start of the game, the immediate problem in the game is the fact that the very forces of magic seem to be failing, and repercussions are being felt all across the land as the quality of magical artifacts and spells quickly diminishes. The game begins with the same player from Enchanter and Sorcerer in a meeting with many other guild heads who are about to riot when a mysterious figure slips into the room, and turns everyone but the player into various amphibians. The player's only course of action, of course, is to chase this figure into the street, where he/she promptly dissapears in a puff of orange smoke. When this clears, only a mysterious looking cube and a strange new spell are left behind. This new spell allows people to explore the mystic connections of other objects, and as soon as the cube is tested, access is granted to many other areas of the world, and other worlds near Zork, where similar looking cubes can be found. Each cube takes the player to stranger, wilder locations where more and more information can be found.


At the climax of the game, the player finally catches up with the shadowy figure from the game's beginning, and it turns out to be an evil shadow of the player, brought about by all of the magic that the player has cast over the years. The shadow got tired of just being something less than human, and went on a quest to conquer the enitre Universe. The cubes that had been scattered throughout the game were apparently the building blocks of the basic forces of the Universe, and the shadow manipulated the few that could be easily found to alter the forces of magic. All that remained was for the player to gather the rest, and bring them to the endgame, where the shadow and the player battle for the fate of the universe.


If the player is succesful in winning this game, the shadow is destroyed, but so is magic. So without magic, everyone is forced to adapt and face a strange, new world.


This ended the second trilogy of Zork games. Most of the later Zork games were in some way connected to these first two trilogies, either by tying in to the story of the Dungeon Master, or by involving a struggle involving the fate of magic. However, the next game is an exception.


Wishbringer

Wishbringer is a game that is hard to trace along the Zork timeline. Magic exists, so it most likely does not take place after the game Spellbreaker. This game isn't as much of an Interactive Adventure, as it is an Interactive Fairytale. Instead of playing the role of a professional adventurer or enchanter, the player begins the game as a postal clerk who daydreams about impossible quests of magic and excitement. Unfortunately, the player's boss is just about the most unimaginative and unpleasant person in town, so any daydreaming is frowned upon.


When the game begins, the player is instructed to deliver an envelope to the proprietor of a magic shop before the shop closes for the night. When this little mission is finished, the proprietor, a mysterious elderly woman, reads the envelope and the player is told that her sister, known only as The Evil One is after an ancient magic stone referred to as Wishbringer that the proprietor had spent her life guarding. Finally, The Evil One decided to play her trump card by kidnapping the proprietor's cat, Chaos, for ransom. The proprietor instructs you to find the Wishbringer stone, and use it to find Chaos. The player then leaves, somewhat unsure about what, exactly, is going on.


Upon returning to the town, the postal clerk is shocked to discover that the once peaceful village of Festeron has been transformed by The Evil One into the nightmare city of Witchville. A strict curfew of 6:00 PM is enforced by the Boot Patrol, sharks infest the waters, mysterious vapors haunt the cemeteries, the library is run down, and the village movie theatre actually has comfortable seats for once. The player only has until sunrise to explore the entire twisted world of Witchville for the Wishbringer stone and Chaos.


An interesting aspect of this game is a new twist on magic. As a mere postal clerk, the player has no real skills with magic, and is forced to fall back on using whatever devices of magic that can be found. The most important, of course, is the Wishbringer stone that can grant seven different wishes, depending on various items that the player may be holding. Another interesting fact is that this game introduced another new story designer by the name of "Professor" Brian Moriarty.


Beyond Zork

Beyond Zork is the first game since Zork Three where the player is once again a professional adventurer. Along with this familiar aspect, the game also introduces several other features of game play that were never before seen in Zork games. The most obvious difference is the color option. Instead of just grey print on a black screen with a status bar at the top of the screen, this game had several different color options. The other obvious difference when you look at the screen is the way the screen is formatted. You could use the traditional Infocom screen format if you really needed it, but you also had two other "screens" that you could put up, and change the design structure of the page. One of these two screens would show a pre-set table of information8, and another screen that would show a map that would gradually be drawn as the game progressed.


This map feature can be a very helpful tool, especially when you consider another odd twist to this game: many of the locations change every time you start a new game. So, rather than become confused about strange, new geography in a location that you had mapped totally differently, the game would provide a map for you.


Finally, there are two more major differences to this game: first, while most Infocom games to this point had been pure Adventure games, Beyond Zork included many elements of role playing games. There were monsters that you could fight to gain experience, you could name and give statistics to your character before playing the game, and you could buy, sell, and trade equipment to any of the three shops in the game. The last difference is that this game has a direct tie-in to another game, instead of just being a sequel to a game, or making vague references to a different game.


This game parallels Spellbreaker, where the player must eventually bring the age of Magic to an end. In this game, the adventurer has been hired by Y'Gael the Enchantress to locate the Coconut of Quendor, a device that could contain all of the knowledge of magic that was currently known, so that when magic could return to the land of Zork, magic could start over exactly where it left off.


One final note: this game covers an immense amount of territory. It leads from a hill overlooking a quiet seaside village, to a broken down lighthouse, to the Jungles of Miznia, to snow covered mountains, to a higher plane of existence, with many diversions to underground caves and tunnels. Some puzzles even require travel to the far distant past and to the desolate landscapes of the future, so be prepared to move in this game.


Zork Zero

Steve Meretzky returned to author this popular Zork game that really helped to fill in several gaps in Zork's history, geography, and mythology. One reason this game was written was to answer a few questions that the original Zork Trilogy didn't answer, such as "Who built the white house?", "What happened that ended the Flathead Dynasty and caused the Great Underground Empire to collapse?", "Where did the first Dungeon Master come from?", and "Why does the majority of Zork feel so deserted and eerie?" These questions were all answered in yet another breakthrough game.


This game went farther with adding color to the game than Beyond Zork did, and included a border on the screen that changed depending on where you were, simple pictures, and a few graphical puzzles that you could use a mouse to solve.


This game begins in the year 789 GUE, 159 years before the game Zork One begins. As the game begins, the player is a servant in the castle of Lord Dimwit Flathead the Excessive9. Lord Dimwit is having a party to celebrate his latest "acheivement", the construction of a nine bloit high statue of himself in Fublio Valley. Right before Lord Dimwit is able to finalize the construction plans for his next excessive project, an angry wizard known as Megaboz appears, angered by the statue that was now casting a shadow over his home in Fublio Valley. Within moments, Megaboz casts a terrible curse. The most obvious effects were the giant, smoke-spewing cauldron that appeared in Dimwit's banquet hall, and the dissapearance of Megaboz as he turned into a giant ball of flame.


The court magicians appear, and work hard, but only manage to forstall the majority of the curse for 94 years, at which time the empire of Quender will collapse. The only thing that could not be changed about the curse was the instant death of Dimwit and his eleven siblings just a few moments later. Before the prologue ends, the player is able to pick up a strange looking parchment.


The rest of the game takes place 94 years later, and the player is now the descendant of the one who picked up the parchment when Megaboz cast the spell. From this point, there are only a few things of note to mention about playing the game. First of all, from time to time a character who calls himself the Jester appears, and proceeds to play games with, give a riddle to, or just annoy the player. Also, this game returns to the "treasure hunt" feel of the original Zork games, by introducing 24 items that are hidden around the land of Zork. This game covers even more territory than Beyond Zork , going from the highest mountain peak in Zork, to the realm beneath the world of Zork, to the Fublio Valley, to the island of Antharia, and even to a giant chess board. If you play this game, be prepared to devote a great deal of time and effort to finishing it.


Return To Zork

Return To Zork was a breakthrough game in more ways than one. First of all, this is the first game in the Zork series that is not text based. Instead, you use the mouse to interact with the world around you. Also, Return To Zork was one of the first games released on a CD. While the sound, graphics, and movies in the game may look inferior compared to today's big games, this was a big deal when it came out way back in 1993. Also, this game takes placed in the year 1648, 682 years since the games Beyond Zork and Spellbreaker took place. Needless to say, Zork has changed. Many of the more fanatic players today complain about the game, mentioning how everything was out of place, and that aside from the occasional reference to Grues, Flatheads, and Zorkmids, there really wasn't much that seemed like Zork. However, this is still a pretty good game when you look past those superficial flaws.


This game begins with the player winning a the grand prize in a contest, and receiving a few complimentary items, along with a free trip to the Valley Of The Sparrows, where they are unearthing the biggest archaeological find of the century: The Great Underground Empire! Unfortunately, something seems to have gone wrong, and an evil force named Morpheus is gaining strength through the return of magic10. As the game goes on, more and more of the backstory is learned, and Morpheus seems to gain more force with every step. He communicates to people through nightmares, he kidnaps people with vultures, and he absorbs the most distinctive powers and abilities from the most dynamic characters in the game. The game comes to a close in a game of strategy between you and Morpheus as he decides that you would make the best new addition to his "collection."


Zork Nemesis

The game Zork Nemesis is different than any other Zork game, and is often considered to be the "black sheep" of the Zork series. The game doesn't focus on the familiar aspects of Zork, and instead moves into entirely new territories that were not covered in previous games, such as Alchemy, and the wars that immediately followed the fall of the Flathead Dynasty. Also, while most of the previous Zork games were riddled with hidden jokes, bad puns, and many light-hearted outlooks, this game is morbid, dark, and gloomy. Also, in every game previous to this, Zork was flat, just as Earth used to be imagined11. However, in Zork Nemesis, Zork is round, orbits around a Sun, and exists in a Solar System not unlike our own. Also, this is the first Zork game that was released entirely under the Activision label instead of Infocom's. However, those players that look past their expectations can see the amazing 3D graphics, the great sound and music, and the intricate storyline. Also, while this adventure may look more like a scavanger hunt than an actual treasure hunt, this game is still enjoyable.


The game starts with an odd scene-a person getting stabbed in the heart. The camera moves towards this person in the shadows, until you actually move into his heart, and through a long series of arteries and veins that quickly merge into underground caves. As you do this, a voice begins telling you of a dark evil that has covered the land, and that you are the last hope. When this sequence begins, you have flown to the top of a mesa, upon which rests a forbidding looking temple.


This, of course, is where the game begins. The game itself is divided into three basic parts: the Elemental Quests, the Metal Quests, and the Endgame. The Elemental Quests begin as soon as you break into the temple, and locate four sleeping/half-dead alchemists: Bishop Francois Malveaux, General Thaddeus Kaine, Doctor Erasmus Sartorius, and Madame Sophia Hamilton. They each tell you to find their signature elements in a purified form, and to place them on the altar at the front of the room where they are trapped.12 As the four elements are found in hidden locations throughout the temple, each alchemist gains enough strength to tell you that you need to find the other elements. When the fourth element is brought to the altar, the evil Nemesis that the game is named after appears, and attempts to kill you. The alchemists intervene, and give you a golden ball, and tell you to find their metals and bring them back to the altar.


The Metal Quests begin as soon as you figure out how to manipulate the golden ball to travel to the distant homes of the four alchemists. Within each home is a hidden alchemy lab that can be used to mold the alchemist's signature metals into the shape of their planets, if you can figure out how to run the machinery properly. Every lab and location is very different. For instance, Madame Sophia Hamilton lives in a music conservatory, and her lab creates copper by harmonizing the notes produced by various crystaline stalagmites, while Bishop Francois Malveaux lives in a Monastery, and his lab creates lead by manipulating heat and pressure in a hidden branch of some catacombs. Once you find a metal, you are instantly transported back to the altar to awake an alchemist. Over the course of these quests, a great deal of the backstory can be learned, including the tale of two young lovers, the son of General Thaddeus Kaine and the adopted daughter of Bishop Francois Malveaux, who seemed to merely be pawns used by the four alchemists.


The Endgame is a relatively short series of brief puzzles that begins with the final metal being put in place, and the alchemists turning on you. As soon as they come back to life, they attempt to create the legendary Elexir of Life for their own nefarious purposes, unless you can find a last alchemical laboratory hidden beneath the temple.


Zork: The Undiscovered Underground

This was a promotional game that Activision had made for the upcoming release of Zork Grand Inquisitor, which was going to be released along with Zork's Twentieth Anniversary. This game begins with you as a lowly minion of The Grand Inquisitor, Zork's newest tyrannical despot. The Grand Inquisitor's men have located a brand new, never before seen area of the underground empire, and it's up to you to explore it.


So the adventure begins. And, for anyone skilled in the past Zork games, the adventure would probably end in about half an hour. It's not a bad game, it's just a very short one. Over the course of this game, your lantern will go out many times, and you will find many grues and rat-ants. Once your exploration is complete, and once all puzzles have been solved, you give your report to The Grand Inquisitor. As a reward, he gives you the afternoon off. All in all, a very fun and amusing game, but you won't have to worry about it consuming your life with a puzzle that you just can't solve.


One more interesting note about this game is the fact that it was the first Zork game in many years that was both text-based and written by Infocom programmers. Marc Blank and Mike Berlyn created this game, and did an excellent job with it, despite having totally moved on in their lives by this point.


Zork Grand Inquisitor

Much brighter and more Zork-ish than Zork Nemesis, this Zork game was instantly liked by all but the most pessimistic Zork fans. It featured great music by composer John Beal, amazing direction from Laird Malamed, and a zany cast of characters, such as Rip Taylor as "Cheif Undersecretary Wartle", and Eric Evari as "Mir Yannik, The Grand Inquisitor." This game also has a long backstory that was released along with the Walkthrough/Hintbook, but it isn't recommended to consult that source too frequently, as it breaks continuity with previous games and itself fairly often.


This game takes place in the year 1067 GUE, 101 years after magic was banished in the game Spellbreaker. Ever since magic was banished, the land of Zork has been in serious decay. The second Dungeon Master passed the mantle of Dungeon Master on to a promising young student at GUE Tech named Dalboz, just seconds before magic was banished. Meanwhile, Dalboz's college room mate (and magic hater) Mir Yannik joined the religion known as the Inquisition, and began to use his steadily rising influence with that group to punish those who used to enjoy magic, and to control the entire land. So, when magic began to make a slow return over a century after it was banished, Mir Yannik (now the head of the Inquisition, and the ruler of the land) set up a machine called a Totemizer. This machine seperated people and creatures from their life essences, and trapped them inside flat discs of base metal, called Totems. Anyone found to be in support of magic in any way, shape, or form was Totemized, and so the land of Zork began to suffer.


The game begins with you as a salesperson for Frobozz Electric, who arrives in the sea side village of Port Foozle just in time for curfew. As you wander around Port Foozle, the doors and windows of frightened citizens are quickly closed and locked. It doesn't take long until you happen to find a strange fish with a few secrets. Once this fish is scared away, you can sift through his underwater home and find a genuine lantern. All it takes for your adventure to begin is to take the lamp across the street to Antharia Jack's13 Pawn Shop. Jack fixes the lamp right up, and steals it from you.


Once recovered, the lantern begins speaking. It turns out to be the dissembodied spirit of Dalboz the third Dungeon Master, as a result of a battle between himself and Mir Yannik. Dalboz instructs you to find a passage underground, and sets you on a quest to finish off the return of Magic, and to overthrow the Inquisition. You quickly receive a spell book, and are given the details of your quest: there are apparently three magical artifacts that can restore magic to the empire: The Coconut Of Quendor, The Cube of Foundation, and The Skull of Saint Yoruk. However, these have all been lost, damaged, or destroyed over the course of the years, so you must seek out ancient passages called The Time Tunnels, so that you can travel back to the last point in history that the objects were known to be.


Along the way to the time tunnels, you will find Totems, discarded by the Inquisition. One is a disembodied Griff, a kind of wimpy Dragon. The other is a rare species of Brog, a very strong ogre-like creature. Finally, you find the Totemized Lucy Flathead, the last member of the House of Flatheads, and rightful heir to the throne. Due to the nature of time tunnels, actual matter can not survive the trip through, so these three disembodied voices have to go for you.


The first time tunnel quest is to send the Griff through a gate located in Hades to the location of the Coconut Of Quendor. Apparently, the boat that it was on crashed, and was swallowed by a great dragon. The second quest is taken by the Brog, all the way back to the White House that Zork One began with. You finally get to see what's behind the boarded up front door, and you search for the Skull of Yoruk. Finally, Lucy Flathead goes back in time to Port Foozle, where Antharia Jack has the Cube of Foundation hidden away in his Casino. When all of these quests are completed, Mir Yannik finally figures out what you're trying to do, finds you, and arrests you. Waiting in line for Totemization, Mir Yannik is just a few hours away from unleashing Inquisivision onto the unsuspecting peoples of the world! With over 25,000 channels of nothing but Inquisition approved television, the people of Zork will have their minds reduced to jelly. Hopefully, you can break out of jail, find your way to the unveiling ceremony, and restore magic before it is too late!


This was the last official game released by either Activision or Infocom. While Zork Grand Inquisitor was originally going to be the first of a three part trilogy, the poor sales of Zork Grand Inquisitor convinced Activision to postpone any new Zork projects until there was nothing better for them to do.


The Zork Movie

There was, at one point, hope of a Zork Movie. Threshold Entertainment purchased the movie rights in February 1998, and it was rumored that the movie would be based on Zork Nemesis. However, nothing ever really came of this, and fans have pretty much given up hope by now.


The Zork Books

Over the years, many books about Zork were written. These ranged from short books aimed at children, to long, semi-serious novels. While almost never considered to be continuity, many fans enjoy these stories. The books are described in the following sections.


The What-Do-I-Do-Now Books

Steve Meretzky wrote four books in the style of the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books that were so popular around the time. These books are fairly average when you consider that they are aimed at very young children, and were probably butchered a great deal to fit the proper format for these types of stories. The books primarily featured the characters Syovar the Strong, Bivotar and Juranda.


Zork: The Forces Of Krill is the first of the What-Do-I-Do-Now books. It details the story of Bivotar and Juranda's first adventures in Zork, and about a great war that took place between the forces of Syovar and Krill


Zork: The Malifestro Quest begins with Syovar's capture by an evil warlock named Malifestro, who wants to conquer the land. It also introduces two characters named Fred and Max who provide comic relief through this and following stories.


Zork: The Cavern Of Doom describes the adventure that Bivotar and Juranda undertake to find and rescue Logrumethar, the long lost son of Syovar. Another evil warlock, this one named Grawl, is the one up to no good this time.


Zork: Conquest At Quendor, the last of the What-Do-I-Do-Now books, begins with Grawl seeking vengence on Bivotar and Juranda for saving Logrumethar. They are quickly saved, but at the cost of Syovar's quickly fading health. With all of the surrounding lands getting ready for war, the land could be destroyed in a matter of weeks if Syovar can not be at a meeting between the heads of all of the nearby nations. Bivotar and Juranda set off to locate a magic helmet that would allow Logrumethar to disguise himself as Syovar, but they are challenged at every step by Jeearr, the demon from the game Sorcerer.


The Zork Chronicles

Written by George Alec Effinger, this book takes an odd look at the world of Zork. This story is primarily the tale of Mirakles the Mighty, a person looking for a quest worthy of an adventurer of his magnitude. Such a quest is found when it is discovered that many of the artifacts that make Zork famous are dissapearing! The only thing that can bring them back is the Golden Time Machine from Zork Three. So, Mirakles grabs his magical sword, and sets off to find the only villain capable of such dasardly deeds, Morgrom the Palindromic.


However, this is also the tale of Glorian, a member of the Supernatural And Fantastic Wayfarers Association and nominee for the Joseph Cambell Award for Best Semi-Actual Persona14. After loosing the award for a decade straight, Glorian is given the assignment of aiding Mirakles the Mighty in his quest to restore Zork. But Glorian also has to worry about the politics that govern his organization, and begins to question where his loyalties lie: with his boss, or with his adventurer.


All in all, an excellent story. It doesn't exactly fit the continuity of Zork, but it doesn't break the continuity of Zork either.


The ZorkQuest Series

The ZorkQuest Series were Interactive Comic Books that were released as part of Infocom's Infocomics Project. Instead of just reading along with the story once and getting it all, these computerized comics acted like certain Dungeons And Dragons novels, allowing you to follow the progress of various different adventurers.


Assault On Egreth Castle, the first ZorkQuest story, details the adventures of a group of travelers as they search the infamous Egreth Castle, which is now being controlled by yet another warlock. As the story progresses, a strange crystal is found....


The Crystal Of Doom is the second in the ZorkQuest series. The travellers escaped Egreth Castle, and have finally reached their destination. However, two bumbling spell casters have noticed the mysterious crystal that the party of travelers has aquired, and attempt to steal it when they recognize the crystal as an ancient object of power.


There was going to be another Infocomic story that continued the story from The Crystal Of Doom, but the Infocomics Project was terminated before it could be released. As a result, many fans felt cheated by the cliff hanger ending from the last one.


The Lost City Of Zork

This story, written by Robin W. Bailey, covers a great deal of the history of Zork. It stars Casper Wartsworth, a wannabe adventure, who is on a quest to save the Borphee Guild of Wizards. His party of fellow travelers includes an incompetent wizard, a sleeping princess, and a thief with very little experience backing him up. Throughout this adventure, Casper faces everything from Kobolds, to an enchanted castle, to the forces of King Duncanthrax the Bellicose.


This story, like most of the other Zork novels, is worth buying, but doesn't strictly follow continuity. Still, many of the errors in this novel are so small that only the most pedantic of Zork fans would notice them.


Enchanter: The Novel

Also written by Robin W. Bailey, this is a novel that is actually based on a Zork game. However, instead of Krill being the main opponent, as was the case in the original Enchanter game, Anesi, the hero of this story, is setting out to face off against The Great Terror, with only a few of his friends and one or two magic tricks up his sleeve.


Needless to say, this story isn't considered continuity either. But Robin W. Bailey does another great job of bringing the land of Zork to life in ways that the game designers can't do as well, considering the media that they have to work with.


Wishbringer: The Novel

Wishbringer, by Craig Shaw Gardner, is the only other Infocom-based book to be entirely based on a Zork game. One interesting thing about this book is that it almost seems to take placce on Earth, not Zork. The main character, Simon, is surprised by the existence of magic, meaning that it definitely isn't Zork, and he makes references to other countries that don't feel like they would be in Zork. However, this story details Simon getting caught operating a shell game booth at the main wharf of the seaside village of Festeron, and is sentenced to something much worse than the death penalty: being a postal clerk. At first, Simon is confused, but then he discovers that the role of every postal clerk is to do continuous battle with The Evil One whenever she resurfaces and transforms Festeron into Witchville. Fortunately, The Evil One has rules that she must follow, and should only take a little thinking to defeat.


Unfortunately, The Evil One has gotten tired of always losing over the decades, and decides to break those rules. Now, armed with only an Acme Kitchen Wonder and a magic radio, Simon has to face a troll booth, eldritch vapors in the cemetery, and the fact that Gloria, the girl of his dreams, is going out with the entire Boot Patrol, the long arm of police brutality that enforces the six o'clock curfew.


Another great book which, if it wasn't for the fact that it definitely doesn't seem to take place in Zork, might have been accepted as continuity. However, Gardner does a good job melding humor and serious writing in this book, so it really is an enjoyable read.


The Zork Community

Zork has had a fairly strong and loyal Internet community for several years now. It recently became a great deal more active when everyone realized that Activision would not be producing any more Zork games. There are currently many groups in the Zork Community that are dedicated to keeping Zork alive in the hearts of the fans.


One group of fans based at a fan based website called The Zork Library is working on a graphical fan-made Zork game called Zork: The Hidden Evil. However, this group is slowly becoming less enthusiastic, and the project may not be completed any time soon.


Then, there are the Zork fanfiction writers, who compose stories and articles about Zork, in the hopes that this will help people find new interest in Zork.


However, the most common way that people have been keeping Zork alive is by creating fan-made text games. Many members of the Interactive Fiction and Zork communities have created their own games that take place in Zork. For instance, in the sixth annual Interactive Fiction Competition, an entry called "Return To Zork: Another Story" was entered, and won twenty-sixth place out of fifty-three entries.


The Future Of Zork?

As of this moment, the future of Zork is unclear. Many fans of Zork have accepted the possibility that Activision will never create another Zork game or sell the rights to another company, and that the duties of keeping Zork alive will be up to them. Other people, such as Laird Malamed, the director of the Zork department at Activision, want to see another Zork game hit the market, but believe it to be a loosing battle. Even Steve Meretzky said in a recent Interview that he believed the Adventure Genre was pretty much dead.


No one knows what the future will bring for Zork, if anything. However, if nothing else, there are always going to be people who are pushing for the next game. And, of course, the existing games continue to be played and will be played as long as there are adventurers-at-heart around.


Common Zork Phrases And References

There are many subjects that are found in Zork. Here are a few of the ones that you might see if you ever played a Zork game:

The White House is probably the most well known monument in the entire history of Zork. Nearly every Zork game has a reference to this house at some point, ranging from the actual scene inside the white house in Zork Grand Inquisitor, to a picture of the white house on a bottle of wine in Beyond Zork.


Flood Control Dam Number Three is another one of Zork's well known monuments. Making its first appearance in Zork One, this monument cost over 37 million zorkmids, is 256 feet tall at its center, and 193 feet wide at the top. After being destroyed in the year 1067 GUE during the game Zork Grand Inquisitor, it was rebuilt at some time prior to 1648 GUE. There have been sightings of other Flood Control Dams in the Zork games, but FCD#3 is the most famous, because it was the first, and it exists underground where there is no danger of flooding, making this one of Lord Dimwit Flathead's greatest excesses.


GUE Tech is the most famous university in all of the Zork games. It specializes in teaching classes in magic and paper shuffling, and is only actually seen in the game Zork Grand Inquisitor.


The Time Periods of Zork are refered to in three ways. The most common are BE (Before Entharion) and GUE (Great Underground Empire, or possibly Great Underground Era). Another method seen in Return To Zork is simply BC (Before Counting).


The Entharions are the first dynasty of rulers who came around, and brought the warring nations of Galepath and Mareilon together into the land of Quendor. The Entharions were very peaceful rulers who ruled uneventfully, since the days of Entharion The Wise. Thus the bloodthirstiness of the Flathead Dynasty was an almost welcome change for the people of Zork.


The Flatheads are the second major dynasty in Zork, and are the ones that had the biggest impact on the history of Zork. Their first ruler, Duncanthrax The Bellicose, expanded the land of Quendor from the humble beginnings that it had with the Entharion Dynasty, until it included the entire known world. Duncanthrax became bored with the entire known world, and began digging tunnels, so that he could extend his empire even further. The other Flatheads that deserve credit are the Twelve Flatheads, who all excelled in their chosen fields of life, and all died on the same date in 789 GUE.


Zorkish Geography is under some question, but the primary belief is that Zork is comprised of three continents: The Eastlands, Antharia, and The Westlands. None have ever returned from the other side of the Eastlands or Westlands15, and it is believed that the world simply ends there. Zork is flat, and is carried on the back of a giant brogmoid, who stands on top of another flat world16.


Granola is a well known Zork staple, although no one in Zork really likes it. Antharia is the site of the infamous Granola Mines, and the Steppinthrax Monastery holds granola that is, supposedly, holy for some reason.


The Calendar of Zork is an odd one. While there is evidence that the months of the year have, at some points, been referred to as the standard January through December names that we use, most calendars in Zork use the months Estuary, Frobuary, Arch, Oracle, Mage, Jam, Jelly, Augur, Suspendur, Ottobur, Mumberbur, and Dismembur. Also, the days of the week are known as Sand Day, Mud Day, Grues Day, Wands Day, Birthday, Frob Day, and Star Day.


Double Fanucci is the most famous card game in Zork. Legend states that the exiled king Zilbo III invented Double Fanucci after King Duncanthrax took over. The Double Fanucci deck is composed of 174 cards, which are divided into face cards, and suits. The 15 suits each have eleven cards, valued at zero through nine, and infinity. The face cards are Granola, Death, Light, Snail, Beauty, Time, Grue, Lobster, and Jester. The complete set of rules for this game are immense, and difficult to understand, and cover a wide range of possibilities, so very few ever actually learn how to play the entire game. However, it is a well known fact that in a game of Double Fannuci, the easiest way to win is to undertrump three of your cards after an opponent's discard of a trebled fromp.


The Encyclopedia Frobozzica is an exhaustively accurate and up to date encyclopedia in the realm of Zork, that covers so many subjects that a "team of librarians could barely lift it", as the Encyclopedia itself claims. With the release of some later versions of Return To Zork, a miniature version of the Encyclopedia Frobozzica was included in the documentation and playing instructions.


Grues are found in every single Zork game. These are the monsters that live in the darkest of dark places, and rip any adventurer without a light source into shreds. They have a fear of light that tempers their hunger, but it has been found that mother grues can sometimes overcome that fear to protect a child. There are many types of grue. The most common grue has a fish-like face, a furry body, and long, razor-sharp claws, not to mention many, many fangs17. Another type of grue that is fairly unknown is a grue with a long arm, and an eye in the palm of its hand, as the Wishbringer novel chronicled. This type of grue is capable of speaking the human language, and is generally fairly sociable to adventurers if it isn't too hungry. The most feared type of grue is the Ur-Grue. The Ur-Grue, first seen in Beyond Zork, is a common grue that was possessed by the shade of a deceased Implementor, and is not afraid of any type of light except for sun light. There are many other types of grue, but the only other one worth mentioning is the elusive water grue mentioned in the Zork Grand Inquisitor Walk Through/Hint Book.


FrobozzCo International18 is the largest corporation that has a ridiculous amount of subsidiaries and companies. In fact, very little business is not done through the many subsidiaries in FrobozzCo International. One note about this company is that all of its subsidiaries are called "The Frobozz Magic Insert-Item-Or-Service-Name-Here Company." There was the Frobozz Magic Boat Company, the Frobozz Magic Hot Air Balloon Company, the Frobozz Magic Grue Repellent Company, the Frobozz Magic Pencil Company, and many more. The Headquarters of FrobozzCo International was 400 stories high, plus basement levels. It was said that on clear days, you could see anywhere in the world from the top floor of the FrobozzCo International Building.


The Implementors are two things. In the real world, the Implementor is a computer game designer, usually from Infocom or the IF community. In the land of Zork, the Implementors are a race of minor deities that do not discourage the rumor that they created Zork for their own amusement. The Implementors have appeared in this latter form in the games of Enchanter and Beyond Zork. Also, the real life Implementors enjoyed putting their images in the games in various ways, such as Brian Moriarty putting himself on a wanted poster in Wishbringer, and when Steve Meretzky refered to himself as a strange magi who lived beyond the realm of Zork in the Zork Zero version of the Encyclopedia Frobozzica.


The bloit is the standard unit of distance in Zork. The official definition of the bloit is however far the ruling monarch's pet can run in an hour. Traditionally, the bloit is considered to be approximately 3,529 feet, or two-thirds of a mile.

Zorkmids are, of course, the standard currency in Zork. The amount a Zorkmid would be worth in literal currency seems to vary from game to game, which is probably the most obvious evidence of the wild stock market that Zork must possess.


"Hello Sailor" is one of the most frequently used phrases from the Zork games. Going all the way back to the original Mainframe Zork, Hello Sailor was a magic word with very few uses. Nearly every Zork game responds to this phrase with "Nothing happens here", and the only significant usage of the phrase comes in Zork III, at the Flathead Ocean.


"Want some rye? 'Course ya do!" is probably the only Zorkish phrase that may be more well known than "Hello Sailor." First popularized in the game Return To Zork by the eternally hospitable alcoholic Boos Miller, the phrase has become a fairly popular saying among Zork fans, and is even used again by two characters in the game Zork Grand Inquisitor.


1Such as "Hello Sailor"2Such as "Xyzzy", "Plugh", and "This Space Intentionally Left Blank"3The origins of the word "Zork" is still uncertain. Many believe it to be a corruption of the word "Zorch", a popular phrase at MIT that pretty much meant to totally annhialate something.4Zealots of the game history will note that there was a brief period during which the game had been named "Dungeon". However, when a company claimed to already have a copyright on the name "Dungeon", the programmers at MIT backed down, and went back to the name "Zork", and this name has been set in stone ever since.5One of the alternate names of the Zork universe, along with GUE (the Great Underground Empire).6The commonly used name for the trilogy of games that followed the Zork Trilogy7A group of master sorcerers and spellcasters that govern the use of magic in Zork8The default was for it to show the description of the location you were in, but it could be changed to show the player's status or inventory9Quite possibly the most famous figure from the entire history of the Zork series, known for being greedy, wasteful, tyrannical, and, of course, very, very excessive10Just to confuse everone, the game is not refering to when magic was banished back in 966. Apparently, magic came back shortly afterwards, as will be seen in a later game, and had to be re-banished in the year of 1247.11Proof of the fact that Zork was flat was gained in Zork Zero, if you make it far enough underground.12Each alchemist has an element, planet, and metal that they specialize in: Francois Malveaux is Fire, Saturn, and Lead; Thaddeus Kaine is Earth, Mars, and Iron; Erasmus Sartorius is Wind, Jupiter and Tin; Sophia Hamilton is Water, Venus and Copper.13The Zork version of Indiana Jones14The award given to the best spirit guides over the past year.15Unless you count The Malifestro Quest.16There is a giant brogmoid who stands on top of Zork, presumably holding up another world, and this thing keeps happening no matter how high up or down you go.17This type of grue has only been seen in the game Zork: The Undiscovered Underground, but is considered definitive as it was created in part by Marc Blank, one of the original four programmers of Zork.18In Zork Grand Inquisitor, it is replaced by Frobozz Electric, and in Return To Zork it no longer exists, and has been replaced by Illumynite, Translumynite, And Leisure, Inc.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A570971

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more