A Conversation for Preventing Sock Loss

A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 1

Beeblefish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A542972

Yay socks.


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 2

Barton

This is just another sorry example of someone trying to explain away one of the mysteries of life with pseudo-science. Why don't you just go hang out with those people aren't willing to recognize reality when it hits them in the face, like those 'scientists' who explain why saucers and ESP don't work.

I am presently having a special sock suit and washing and drying machine build to I can hide with the wild socks and follow them in their natural migration to Lemuria.

smiley - smiley

You need to clean up some of your typos. And, you really should acknowledge that since you can only say that most problems relate to static electricity or dogs that you can't, as yet, account for all the lost socks. There's nothing wrong with a little mystery. After all, you and I both know that some socks are transformed into underwear that you have never seen before. smiley - smiley

It's a good article that covers that ground but I want more. That's just the way I am.

Barton


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 3

Beeblefish

*g* I'll see what I can do

~Beeblefish


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 4

Bright Blue Shorts

Hmmm it's a good entry, but currently a little brief.

Here's some discussion on my non-experience of sock loss that might provoke some extra material.

I can now exclusively reveal that in all my years of washing my clothing (almost 10 years) I have never lost a sock. Yes, honestly, I have never lost one. A couple of times I almost did, but never actually done so. I believe this to be due to my fairly organised nature. My methods are thus:

- take socks off last thing at night. Either throw in linen basket or on floor. Those landing on the floor eventually make it to the basket after a few more wearings!!
- empty basket either by the washing machine or carry washing to it. Carrying socks to the washing machine is one way that pairs normally get separated, usually through dropping, although you normally find this one again later.
- Set washing on go and wait for a while.
- Empty machine into laundry basket and give the drum a couple of spins to check for any that might have been stuck to the roof. This was the other time I almost lost a sock. If I hadn't spotted it, it would have ended up in my housemates washing and then never been seen by me again!
- Take washing to place of drying e.g. washing line, drying rack or radiator. Put socks on to dry.
- When socks are dry pair them up again. Usually there are still some more to dry and if one of the dried socks is unmatched, place it in a safe location. Continue to dry then pair socks until all are found.
- Having many pairs of socks of one colour e.g. all white or all black can assist as they can usually be paired with another. Even so it is usually still possible to distinguish their original pairings so this isn't an excuse for not having lost any.
- Finally if you have to throw a sock away, ensure that it's sole-mate goes with it.

Hope this helps,
BBS smiley - smiley


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 5

Pheroneous

There are several interesting theories Beeblefish as to why this happens. I have never heard the static electricity theory before. It may also be that the rest of the Human race is not as well organised as BBS above (I don't know why I label him as human, this is not normal human behaviour). I deal with some of the others in my entry The Joy of Socks! http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A536582 from which I shall endeavour to link to your piece here, but ONLY if you clear up the spelling. If that's not incentive enough, then there is no hope for you.


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 6

Beeblefish

Im surprised no-one hit the yikes button for that spelling ... I must have been very tired .....

~Beeblefish smiley - fish


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 7

Sol

Splendid answer to one of my biggest headaches. Hasn't solved it though, as I have no dryer and therefore (if I have understood you) no build up of static electricity. I'll stick with my theory that socks mutate over time into coat hangers.


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 8

Trigger

I like it... I've got to admit I've always wondered where on [insert home planet here] they go! Thanks for the informative and logically based entry smiley - smiley.

- Matt


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 9

Barton

It's paperclips that turn into coat hangers where the mortality is so high. Name the next stage of their lives and, hopefully, the name of the author. I've lost track of the story in my library, but never have lost that wonderful final image.

Barton


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 10

Bright Blue Shorts

Oh just realised another prime area of sock loss - down the back of the chest of drawers. I moved house earlier this week and the bottom drawer of the bedside cabinet wouldn't shut properly. When I took it out I found 3 items of the previous lady's underwear. Boy did I have fun that night smiley - winkeye I'd reckon the same area could contain socks.

BBS smiley - smiley


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 11

xyroth

If sock loss is really a problem, you might visit the bureau of missing socks, which you can find using google. smiley - smiley


Congratulations!

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review forum because this entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

If they have not been along already, the Scout who recommended your entry will post here soon, to let you know what happens next. Meanwhile you can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!


Congrats! :)

Post 13

Trigger

Thanks for your recommendation. You'll be glad to know that we think this entry is great, and it has now gone into the Editorial Process for future inclusion in the Edited Guide. When it does get into the Edited Guide, we will email to let you know, but please bear in mind it can take a while for entries to go through the sub-editing system. Thanks for writing for the guide!


Congrats! :)

Post 14

Beeblefish

Cheers Matt .. but you may want to personalise your aceptance rant a bit .. it seems a bit canned atm. As a fellow Scout I like to throw in a bit of zing!

Cheers!

~Beeblefish


Congrats! :)

Post 15

Beeblefish

Cheers Matt .. but you may want to personalise your aceptance rant a bit .. it seems a bit canned atm. As a fellow Scout I like to throw in a bit of zing!

Cheers!

~Beeblefish


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 16

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I just finished reading that story! Hangers turn into bicycles, which are apparantly the adult form and can be bred :D. The story is "Or All the Sea With Oysters" by Avram Davidson.


A542972 - Preventing Sock Loss

Post 17

Wowbaggy

I have finally given up hunting socks and now I put all the odd socks into a cardboard box (marked "odd socks", of course). When my children are bored I tell them to play sock memory.


Key: Complain about this post