A Conversation for English Afternoon Tea on the Lawn

Music

Post 1

Gnomon - time to move on

In the corner of the lawn is a string quartet, playing music by Haydn. A few people are gathered around to listen, some standing, some sitting on the grass (rugs have been provided).

There is also a consort of recorders, (Descant, Treble, Tenor and Bass), the players dressed in Elizabethan clothes and looking very incongruous. They have had problems playing out of doors because even a slight breeze interferes with their instruments, so they have ended up in the back of one of the greenhouses, surrounded by orchids and hollyhocks, but out of sight of the picnickers. The great bass recorder player has arrived late and is wandering aimlessly trying to find his consort. Eventually, he settles into a quiet corners and amuses himself blowing on his massive instrument.


Music

Post 2

You can call me TC

I can imagine him dripping with sweat - built like Pavarotti, and rather awkward in his movements....

Actually I forgot the music. In my head I had a rickety old gramophone playing Noel Coward songs, and occasionally a "bright young thing" would pop in the house and put a "Charleston" on, but after a few steps everyone gave up because of the energy required ... too hot!

How do the cellists stop the points of their instruments sinking into the grass?


Music

Post 3

Gnomon - time to move on

Many cellists use a small flat piece of wood with a rubber mat attached to it.


Music

Post 4

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Oh I do like Noel Coward
Maybe we should get out the gramaphone to give the string quartet et al a rest now and then


Music

Post 5

You can call me TC

Jolly dee! That will be fun.

*Hands round elaborate crystal glasses sparkling with strawberry cup*

Do help yourselves to canapés.


Music

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*considers canapes warily*
What's on them?


Music

Post 7

You can call me TC

The usual: caviar, quails' eggs, pâté de foie gras, Stilton .... the stuff Jeeves found in the pantry. Oh yes, and our own cured ham with mustard made to my grandmother's recipe. Absolutely no need for reticence ... dig in, old bean!


Music

Post 8

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Oh I'll have the cured ham and mustard then
And a nice iced tea


Music

Post 9

You can call me TC

Jeeves! You heard what the man said - look snappy now, he's just had a tiring game of cricket!

Quite a nifty batsman himself, old Jeeves, you know - but I can't let you have him for your team - I need him here - I'm expecting dozens of guests any time now!


Music

Post 10

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Jeeves! I'se a gurlie smiley - winkeye - and I'm getting freckles from the sun. Couldn't find me a sun hat could you?


Music

Post 11

You can call me TC

Borrow my parasol!


Music

Post 12

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Thankee kindly smiley - smiley


Music

Post 13

Gnomon - time to move on

Anyone care for a glass of Buck's Fizz?

smiley - bubbly


Key: Complain about this post