A Conversation for So, You Want To Be...A Kibbutz Volunteer!

israelis don't drink?!

Post 1

Ioreth (on hiatus)

Having just spent a year in israel, most on kibbutz, it seems to me that israelis do in fact enjoy a good couple drinks, and kibbutzniks (especially the younger ones, from high school to about twenty five) drink A LOT.
also in case you get put on a kibbutz in the north half of the country - there's a club, the vertigo (ver-TEE-go) on kibbutz ramat david that every wednesday has volunteer night, with free buses from all over and free admission for volunteers. It's an incredible place with a really amazing mix of people, the music's not great but not so bad and the company is excellent. ask an israeli in kibbutz about it if you get there. you might even meet me smiley - smiley


israelis don't drink?!

Post 2

bikket

Well, I can confirm 2 things here:

1.) Israelis DO drink copiously
2.) Vertigo@Ramat David is superb

This brings back too many good memories. I seemed to 'live' in Israel between 1994 and 1997 at Kibbutz Kfar Hahoresh (just up the road from Ramat David) near Nazereth. It was the greatest time. I met some truly wonderful people and experienced some of the most profound moments of my life. Do I sound enthusiastic? I was, and still am.
Unfortunately, due to work commitments I've been unable to return since '97 but, one day, I'll go back. Look out for me there - I'll be the one(?) drunk in the beer garden. You're bound to spot me. Stand out in the crowd.

If you've any doubts about 'doing kibbutz' - DONT (apologies for shouting) - just go and enjoy. Perhaps best to wait until this intifada has cooled down a little, although if you want to feel alive perhaps now is a good time to go.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more