A Conversation for The h2g2 Comedy Workshop

Any comedy writers out there?

Post 1

Bon

Hi there, I'm approximately half a comedy writer, and I'd be interested in chatting to any other partially complete comedy writers out there. I haven't written or performed anything for about six months and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! So if you're into h2g2 (obviously), Eddie Izzard, Bill Bailey, Spaced, Lee & Herring, The Goons, Bill Hicks, Blackadder, Chris Morris, Friday Night Armistice, Rex The Runt or anything like them send me a message!

Regards,

Bon


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 2

James Casey

Hey Bon!

So when you say half a comedy writer, do you mean that the stuff you've previously written has been as part of a writing partnership?

And hmm, Spaced. What's that?

I like all the above except Lee & Herring - biased since I have experience of them as people and am not dead keen on Mr. Herring.


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 3

Bon

Hi KC,

Yes, I used to be 50% of a comedy writing team, and I'm looking for someone to write with, drink tea with, argue over obscure comedy sketches with...you know, all the usual things. "Spaced" is a sitcom on Channel 4 which is being repeated on Friday nights, and is the most original sitcom I've seen in years...the new series starts next month. I'd love to write something as good as that!

Have a weekend!


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 4

James Casey

Comedy partnerships are a strange beast. I must have written with maybe 50 people in my University days, but was only in three partnerships lasting more than one sketch.

The first, and longest, gradually disintegrated over three years, until I couldn't stand the guy (who used to be essentially my best friend). This was down to the fact that he looked down on me as a writer. Fair enough at the start, but by the end I was at least his equal - better in most peoples' eyes - but he still behaved the same way. I remember once testing him when we were writing a two-man, one hour show. There was a problem with something, and he said 'Oh, I'll rewrite that'. I then said 'WE'LL rewrite it.' He made no further comment but went and changed it on his own. I'd lost interest by this point.

The second began in my second year...I think it constituted a couple of sketches and songs (one a quite devastating black comedy version of Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road'; done to look like it was about Lady Diana - the audience would be deadly silent until the chorus kicked in and they laughed as much out of relief as anything!). The major thing we did was an hour-long parody of a Stephen Sondheim musical...very filthy.

The third was in third year as well. The guy was two years below me so it could't continue; but everything we wrote together (half a dozen items) was very successful - in fact two of them were the most successful sketches I've done.


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 5

Abelkane

Well Bon, I'm not even half a comedy writer, I'm a closet comedy writer. Where I live has some great characters and the situation I'm in would make a great story.
Come and find me if you want to do some writing.
(I do have lots of great ideas....honest)


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 6

Hobbes - Keeper of Himself to Himself,(scout)

I wish I were half as little a comedy writer as the people who have posted before me. When I were a lad, I used to stop writing before I haed even switched on my computer etc etc

I am an aspiring comedy writer, is this workshop still up and running? It hasn't been added to for quite some time.


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 7

The CAC CONTINUUM - The ongoing adventures of the Committee for Alien Content (a division of AggGag)

Too true!
'j'


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 8

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

zzzzzzzzzzzzz......snort, mumble (turns over onto cat)


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 9

Hobbes - Keeper of Himself to Himself,(scout)

"Hey guess what" said Hobbes in a suprised tone of voice "if you click on the link to the home page of AGG/GAG you can find a place where people who want to write comedy can go to play. I'm off there now for lashing of ginger beer."

(an extract from the Infamous Hobbes Clicks on a Hyperlink by Enid Blyton)


Any comedy writers out there?

Post 10

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

(Cat turns into small power tool) Rearooowwwwllllrrrr!
What!? #Thump#
Sleeps on floor, bleeding...zzzzzzt-ow-zzzzzzzzz-ah!-zzzzzzzzzz


Key: Complain about this post