A Conversation for Project: Use and Abuse of Gin

A brief histoy of gin

Post 1

cash

Ihope this might be of some interest to you, jus a couple of things about gin. well start with the name,it originally from the french word genievre, (there should be an accent above the second ebut i can't do that)The Dutch , who were the first to produce gin changed it to genever, shortly afterwards the English, as is their custom shortened it to the word we all know and love gin.
The origin of the drink itself is widely attributed to one Franciscus Syvius, a professor of medicine at Leiden in Holland, some time in the 17th century.
Prof sylvius distilled spirit with juniper berries to produce a cheap medicine with the diuretic properties of juniper oil, a much used substance at that time albiet very expensive. Fortunately for us however the medicine soon became popular as a beverage and by the next century found it's way over the sea to England, where owing to it's cheapness it soon became the favourite tipple of the lower classes. Thus the origin of the drink itself as well as the quinine in tonic water has medical beginings.
there are two main types of gin Dutch gin and English or London gin I believe the Americans also make a distinctive coloured gin alas I have no info on this but would be happy to hear from anyone who has.
Dutch gin is made from a fermented malt mash which is distilled to produce a spirit of about 50% alchol by volume. this is then distilled again withe juniper berries to produce a beverage of about 35% abv.
English gin on the other hand is distille to an abv of about 95% making it one of the most pure spirits available. This is then diluted with distilled water and flavourings distilled again to give a final product of 40-47% abv.


A brief histoy of gin

Post 2

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

Very well said!

As soon as I get to it I will add it to my "official" documents. Thank you for your contribution!

-Gin
Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic
Muse of the Lemon Garden


A brief histoy of gin

Post 3

GinTonyx - Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic, Muse of the Lemon Garden.

I now have worked your contribution into the pages. I kindof lost track what I put where so I might have forgotten something. I will look over that on monday.

Please feel free to write some comments on what I wrote if you get the time...

And thank you very much again. You have helped me a great deal.

-Gin
Keeper and Mixer of the Gin and Tonic
Muse of the Lemon Garden


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more