A Conversation for Jellied Eels

A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 21

DrMatt

>>Making jellied eels isn't an exact art and the lack of a definitive recipe suggests that there isn't one.

I would have thought that it CONFIRMS that there isn't one - you're saying the same thing twice. Do you mean "the difficulty in finding a definitive recipe suggests that there isn't one"? Pedantic, I know, but apart from that the Entry looks good. Disgusting, but good.

Matt


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 22

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I'm still at a loss to understand why you need to measure the stock before making the amount up to 450ml. If you have to measure it so that there's a certain ratio of stock to water then you need to tell the reader how much stock to measure out before adding the water. If however, all you're doing is making tha amount of liquid up to 450ml, you don't have to say anything about measuring the stock.

Also, the slices aren't 2-3cm thick, they're 2-3cm long, because you're cutting the eel lengthways.

When giving a set of instructions - which is exactly what a recipe is - you have to be utterly precise and unambiguous. Like for instance, calling the eels 'eels' all the way through the recipe, instead of 'eels' here and 'fish' there, sometimes in the same sentence - "Lift out the fish and place the eels in a basin". People will be confused by that and will be looking back at the list of ingredients and wondering if something has been left out.


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 23

Dr Hell

Re: My comments in post above - fair enough smiley - ok. T'were just suggestions anyway.

How about changing

"This delicious" to "This (debatably) delicious"

or "This deliciousFew researchers were found to disagree..."

?

HELL



A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 24

jhutcher

when cutting bacon from the joint it is thickness not length of cut that is talked of... so it remains 'thick' and not 'long'.

comments on the fish eels irregularity is fair play and has been changed.

footnote added.

Stock measurements are going to need a little tampering with... begin sorted.

thanks once again!


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 25

BigAl Patron Saint of Left Handers Keeper of the Glowing Pickle and Monobrows

'when cutting bacon from the joint it is thickness not length of cut that is talked of... so it remains 'thick' and not 'long'.


Reminds me of the two Irish electrical engineers, Paddy and Murphy, who were trying to work out the height of a telegraph pole.

Eventually Paddy says to Murphy, "Tell you what, we'll saw it off at ground level, lay it on the ground and measure it with a tape measure"

Murphy: Don't be stupid, Paddy 'Tis the height we want, not the length!.


smiley - smiley


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 26

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

smiley - laugh


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 27

jhutcher

Kicks above postee for indirectly suggesting i'm dumb lol

But i'm right aren't I?


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 28

echomikeromeo

This is completely and utterly off-topic, but when my sister and I were little, we used to be very fond of claiming that, if someone was smiling, they were 'grinning like a jellied eel'. I think we got it from a book at some point.

Nice entry, BTW.

smiley - dragon


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 29

Adroit_Acumen

Just a couple minor things to say about this one. I found it a fascinating entry. I'm actually quite tempted to try jellied eels now, they do sound delicious. Forgive me if I nitpick...

"Like its name suggests Jellied Eels is stewed..." should be:
"As their name suggests, Jellied Eels are stewed..."

3rd paragraph - "Some 'purists' would also sugges that..." change to:
"Some 'purists' would also suggest that..."

In the list of ingredients, I think you can do away with all the caps save "Pinch" since it begins its own line.

Towards the end - "...it is important that they remain on our streets and in our hearts less we forget...":
Consider changing to "lest we forget", but that's entirely subjectivesmiley - smiley

Good luck with further posts, I can't wait till the next time I'm in London!

smiley - ta
Adroit_Acumen


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 30

Adroit_Acumen

The GuideML code for a 1/2 symbol is "½" without the quotes.


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 31

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Haven't elvised us have you Justin?


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 32

AlexAshman


Hi Justin smiley - smiley

Are you still working on this? You see, if you disappear off for too long, we''l assume you've 'left the building' and might not be coming back. Then your entry will be moved out of Peer Review, which would be quite irritating for you if you've only gone out to buy a sandwich...

Alex smiley - biggrin


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 33

jhutcher

I'm still about... just a case of trying to adjust to freshers week and come on here when there is something for me to do.


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 34

AlexAshman

smiley - ok


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 35

Mina

jhutcher does seem to have gone off again - is this worth picking and letting a Sub tidy it up, or does it need to go into Flea Market? I'd hate to lose this one - even though I've only just spotted it!


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 36

AlexAshman


smiley - erm I'm not sure


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 37

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

I'd vote for Flea Market.


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 38

Mina

I'll add it to the list so that it can be rescued if anyone fancies it. smiley - whistle


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 39

Mina

Just popping in to say I'd like to take this one on as it's now in Flea Market. smiley - ok


A4893834 - Jellied Eels

Post 40

Mina

This is back in PR now. smiley - ok

F48874?thread=1832772


Key: Complain about this post