Jellied Eels

3 Conversations


Jellied Eels are a traditional dish from the East End of London. Like its name suggests Jellied Eels is stewed eels in a spiced jelly that is made from the stewing juices. It's a food that is sold usually by street vendors and can still be bought in London and Essex due to the migration of the East London population. It is commonly eaten with another East End delicacy, 'Pie, Mash and Liquor'.

This delicious1 dish finds its roots in the muddy Thames estuary which is the perfect habitat for eels. They were common, cheap and easily transportable, making them a favourite in the East End. They have remained 'unpopular' compared with Oysters; which where once a cheap and common site in the East End.


It is common knowledge that being born within the sound of the bells of St Mary-le-Bow (a.k.a. 'the Bow Bells') is what determines you as a cockney. Some 'purists' would also sugges that being born within the sound of a toothless gentlemen wearing a flat-cap and slurping a bowl of jellied eels, would make your status a certainty.


Making jellied eels isn't an exact art and the difficulty in finding a definitive recipe suggests that there isn't one. However, should the urge come to make the dish, say perhaps for an East End cultural fair or some such event, then outlined below is a recipe:-

  • 900 gram Eels (2lb)
  • Pinch Grated nutmeg
  • 1/2 Lemon, zest and juice
  • 600 ml Fish stock (1 pint)
  • 1 Small Onion, finely chopped
  • 1 Small Carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 Small Celery, finely chopped
  • 1 Bouquet garni
  • 15 gram Powdered Gelatine (1/2oz)

Method


Cut the eel into pieces about 2-3cms thick and season with grated lemon zest and nutmeg. Put the stock, vegetables and bouquet garni into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the eels and simmer very gently until tender, for about 30 minutes. Lift out the eels and place the eels in a basin. Measure 450 ml of the stock.


Add the gelatine to the lemon juice to dissolve the gelatine, then add this to the hot stock. Stir until completely dissolved. Strain this over the eels and leave to set. Turn out when cold and serve with mash and liquor (though some prefer gherkins or perhaps a green salad)


Whether they are served hot or cold, with or without Chilli Vinegar, in or outside the East End, it is important that they remain on our streets and in our hearts less we forget where we come from.

Please note that Eels contain bones and any attempt to slurp them might be accompanied by a nasty choking fit and a trip to the Royal London Hospital Whitechapel.
1Few researchers were found to disagree

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4893834

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more