A Conversation for Talking Point: Drink!

Been thinking about this quite a lot

Post 1

FordsTowel

For personal reasons, the subject of drinking, and my drinking in particular, has been a matter of more thought over the last couple of years.

smiley - star Do you drink 'responsibly'? How much do you drink? Do you think you might drink too much? Do you care?
smiley - towel If responsible means not driving while drunk and not drinking enough to adversley alter my personality, yes. As to how much, that would be tough to calculate, but it probably keeps at least one distillery in operation. Too much is obviously a subjective measure; so, no, not too much. I have seen enough of alcoholism in my circles though to care very much.

smiley - star Did you give up drinking for January? Do you believe in de-toxing?
smiley - towel No. De-toxing for de-toxing's sake? No. Although I do go the occasional week or month just to assure myself that I don't have an uncontrollable dependency.

smiley - star If you do drink, why do you drink? What's your tipple of choice? Conversely, if you don't drink, why not?
smiley - towel The effect of alcohol may well be a large part of why I enjoy drinking; but, for me, the obvious allure is the taste and the sensation while it's still on the tongut. There are disappointingly few alcoholic choices that don't appeal to my taste. I'll drink most any form of scotch, bourbon, whisky or whiskey, gin, wine (except for the most exceedingly dry varieties), sake, rum, tequila, and most liqueurs. I don't have much use for vodka, unless it is part of something special, because of the minimal taste component. The only thing I really avoid is light beers.

smiley - star Do you think we drink too much as a nation? Do we drink differently to, say, the Italians or folk in Europe in general? Are we more 'northern European' in our drinking habits? If so, why is this?
smiley - towel From reports, all nations seem to drinkg 'too much'. Sometimes I think we drink less than Europeans, but just don't handle it as well; although it's largely speculation and I don't have a hint as to why that might be.

smiley - star Have our drinking habits changed over the years? Do we drink differently now than when we did in the 1970s?
smiley - towel Oh yes. Back then I saw a lot more of old, traditional mixed drinks. And, of course, the variations on alcohol have changed markedly over the years. Plus, there seems to be less of a stigma attached to alcoholism; so getting help, and finding a support group, is easier for those who find they need it.

smiley - star Are folk drinking more at home these days due to cheaper supermarket booze? Is this a bad thing?
smiley - towel Part of it may be cost, part of it availability and marketing. I suspect that couples or families are more often among the homebodies, and that singles are still likely out drinking as part of their social pattern.

smiley - star Is pub culture dying off?
smiley - towel I cetainlyhope not, but there has been a disturbing trend to move away from actual, historical pub-fare which I feel is an awful shame. If I want strange, creative, or other ethnic foods, I still want to be able to go back to a favourite pub for some fish and chips, or bangers and beer.

smiley - star What are the best and worst things about drinking?
smiley - towel The best things are relaxation and aiding digestion, even if I do drink largely for taste and sensation. I'm not sure that I have a personal worst thing, never having gotten in trouble because of drinking; but the worst things I've seen have been when the reduced inhibitions lead to uncivilised acts, especially in regard to sporting events which are supposed to be fun, not dangerous.

Thanks for the quiz!
smiley - towel


Been thinking about this quite a lot

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

Excellent, considered response. smiley - cheers


Key: Complain about this post

Been thinking about this quite a lot

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more