Talking Point: Drink!

8 Conversations

A man holding a pint of lager.
I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze.
- From the film Withnail and I

The cold, bright mornings of January often herald a sense of new beginnings, a keener, leaner approach to life, and an end to the awful piggery of Christmas. It's a sign for some much-needed discipline. We will lose weight. We will do more exercise. We will definitely drink less.

Now, of course, not everybody drinks; and most people, we suppose, don't have a 'drink problem'. However, drinking alcohol has been very much in the news of late and it got us thinking: are we really a nation of boozers? Do we drink too much? As a nation, do we drink differently than we used to? Sober answers will be gratefully received:


  • Do you drink 'responsibly'? How much do you drink? Do you think you might drink too much? Do you care?

  • Did you give up drinking for January? Do you believe in de-toxing?

  • If you do drink, why do you drink? What's your tipple of choice? Conversely, if you don't drink, why not?

  • Do you think we drink too much as a nation?
    Do we drink differently to, say, the Italians or folk in Europe in general? Are we more 'northern European' in our drinking habits? If so, why is this?

  • Have our drinking habits changed over the years? Do we drink differently now than when we did in the 1970s?

  • Are folk drinking more at home these days due to cheaper supermarket booze? Is this a bad thing?

  • Is pub culture dying off?

  • What are the best and worst things about drinking?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A45865849

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more