A Conversation for Talking Point: Drink!

Drinking

Post 1

teej

Do you drink 'responsibly'? How much do you drink? Do you think you might drink too much? Do you care?

I drink responsibly most of the time, I occasionally go overboard at the weekends and while I'm mildly concerned, I don't lose sleep over it.

Did you give up drinking for January? Do you believe in de-toxing?

I'm not really one for making resolutions but I do occasionally stop drinking for a month or so for a bit of a detox and weight-loss.

If you do drink, why do you drink? What's your tipple of choice? Conversely, if you don't drink, why not?

I drink for many reasons; the social aspect, it helps me unwind, and I enjoy the flavour of a decent smiley - ale, a pint of smiley - stout (the greatest of drinks) or nice glass of wine. Sometimes during a drink-free period I'll drink alcohol-free beer, because I enjoy the taste.

Do you think we drink too much as a nation? Do we drink differently to, say, the Italians or folk in Europe in general? Are we more 'northern European' in our drinking habits? If so, why is this?

As a nation we do drink too much, and in an unhealthy way. We're more likely to drink two bottles of wine on a Friday night than to spread them over the week and have a glass with dinner. The French, Italians and Spanish have a better attitude to drinking and hence (as far as I know) have less of a booze culture. I suspect this is because alcohol is so 'off-limits' to children here, we grow up thinking that drinking makes us look mature, we give that same impression to the next generation and so it continues.

Have our drinking habits changed over the years? Do we drink differently now than when we did in the 1970s?

Can't really comment on this, since my dad wasn't even old enough to drink in 1970. smiley - laugh

Are folk drinking more at home these days due to cheaper supermarket booze? Is this a bad thing?
Is pub culture dying off?

Undoubtedly, life is so expensive these days that people are more inclined to buy eight cans of beer for £5 than two pints of beer for the same price. This in turn is affecting the pub culture, bars are getting quiter, the regulars who would in the past call in for a jar or two after work now go home. (I should clarify that when I say 'life is so expensive', I mean in a context where everyone thinks they need the latest laptop, games console, mobile phone, watch, clothes, etc. And anyone who doesn't want those things probably has children who do.)



What are the best and worst things about drinking?

The best would be the flavour of a properly brewed ale or stout. Delicious, and a great way to relax after a frustrating day at work.
The social benefits are there too, many a friend I've made while having a few brewskis, and many a girl I'd normally be too shy to talk to have been chatted up (some even successfully!) over a pint or three.
Another boon (for men at least) is the bonding. Nothing like a good heart-to-heart with your best mate over a couple of drinks. It's got me through some tough times and has done the same for a few of my friends.

As for the worst things...where do I start? Aggressive drunks, vomit, fighting, split drinks, careless words, casual sex... I should point out that these don't necessarily stem from alcohol, but from people not knowing (or not caring) when they've had too much.

Also, just to rub it in a bit, I have't had a hangover in years, no matter how much I drink. smiley - biggrin


Drinking

Post 2

The H2G2 Editors

>>>and many a girl I'd normally be too shy to talk to have been chatted up (some even successfully!)

smiley - laugh

Well-considered answers.smiley - ok


Drinking

Post 3

Paolo77- What the crocodile hat was that? someone needs to snowflake that teapot!

Yeeeeeeeeeeah!

I find conversations are better after a few Coronas.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more