A Conversation for Talking About the Guide - the h2g2 Community

what is the meaning of life?

Post 661

Jane Austin

Hi Moth

Thank you for your reply, basically the meaning of life is all about survival, which really in itself is useless, we strive to eat healthily, give up smoking, excercise etc., etc., yet one day the grim reaper will come and scoop us up when we least expect it.

People who are caught up in the midst of "justified" war, or terrorist acts, they are bombed, torn to pieces, their lives destroyed, yet many will have struggled for years to survive, all for nothing, and it is always the innocent who suffer.

Although it may not seem so, I am actually quite a happy person!! I have sought the meaning of life through the Christian religion, but am disappointed when I see so much suffering inflicted on others by "devout" Christian world leaders, and the apparent superiority of Christianity and lack of empathy and understanding of other religions.

I agree that without hope there is no possibility of a future, it is the very thing that keeps us going.

I hope this wasn,t too depressing! smiley - biggrin

Jane


what is the meaning of life?

Post 662

Ancient Brit

Surely life is not just a human condition.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 663

Moth

No
But it's the only aspect of the condition called life that we can speak about with any authority smiley - biggrin


what is the meaning of life?

Post 664

Moth

Jane
"Thank you for your reply, basically the meaning of life is all about survival, which really in itself is useless, we strive to eat healthily, give up smoking, excercise etc., etc., yet one day the grim reaper will come and scoop us up when we least expect it."

In a physical level, that survival extends to our children.
Genetically speaking we have all 'survived' since the beginning of time and will until the end of it.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 665

Jane Austin

So it is 42 then, after all!!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 666

Ancient Brit

Life is not reserved for humans.
Things with no life can survive.
Life means inevitable death.
So make the best of it.smiley - smiley


what is the meaning of life?

Post 667

Moth

"Things with no life can survive"

what do these 'things' have to survive? smiley - biggrin


what is the meaning of life?

Post 668

Mal

Sorry? Who defines life? I'm not alive - I'm just a collection of cells working together for a mutually beneficial end. How about you? Hi, I'm a random accretion of subatomic particles.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 669

Jane Austin

This is depressing now smiley - sadface!!


what is the meaning of life?

Post 670

Moth

random ?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 671

Ancient Brit

Fnord Prefix - You can only answer your question for yourself. Life in all its forms is what you make of it. By the basic definition of life you are a living thing and the life you live is unique.
Moth - A thing that is created often survives longer than the creator.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 672

Researcher 225498

"Man was born to suffer and die."
Is that true?

whoever said this must have been catholic or at least british.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 673

Ancient Brit

Researcher 225498. - You are not born at all until you enter something in your personal space. smiley - smiley


what is the meaning of life?

Post 674

Jane Austin

Why??? You don,t just have to be British or a catholic to suffer, smiley - erm haven,t you seen what is going on in the world today??? I would think that moslems are suffering more than most at the moment, and they are not catholic,s, and many of them are not British!!

smiley - diva
Jane


what is the meaning of life?

Post 675

Ancient Brit

Thats life ?


what is the meaning of life?

Post 676

Mal

What, that over there? No, that's just a structure of coloured tubes inside a computer monitor arranged according to electrical signals interpreted by the software.


what is the meaning of life?

Post 677

Elfrida

Interestingly (I hope) Huna spirituality from Hawaii sees happiness, loving relationships and pleasure as our birthrights, and suffering as an aberration smiley - winkeye


what is the meaning of life?

Post 678

Mal

A bit of a reduction of the whole Genesis version, which means the same thing, only longer, and with more smiting, and blaming everything on women.
I wonder, will they be bringing out an updated, politically correct Bible? And if so, would it be longer than four pages?
-><-


what is the meaning of life?

Post 679

Jane Austin

Ahh, smiley - winkeye so times don,t change, men still blame everything on women!!! I understand now, we should never have eaten that apple!!

smiley - diva
Jane


what is the meaning of life?

Post 680

Mal

Apples are the root of all evil... Actually, the world's moved on from women. As I understand it, the world as a whole now seems to blame everything upon paedophiles and rich white men. Or am I wrong? What'll the next fad be? Back to illegal immigrants again, maybe? Or will we change to the youth of today?
-><-


Key: Complain about this post