A Conversation for Work, Am I Alone Here?

Alternative Writing Workshop: A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 1

Dr. Gonzo

Entry: Work, Am I Alone Here? - A4468944
Author: DrDukeGonzo - U1712539

I'm 19 years old, I moved out of my parents house about a year ago now and after making ends meet here there and everywhere, there's one question I've been wanting to ask many people, a question I'd ask Karma its-self and hope for a few replies from the open minded masses. My question is it is just me, or does the concept of "Working life" not seem right to anyone else other than me?

I apologise if this sounds like a rant by the way, but this is just an oppinion, it's an uncomfortable subject it seems for some people but I'm just tired of keeping it quiet.

Let's just think about the pros and cons, granted, working life is a way to get by, you earn a living by going to work everyday, having weekends off IF you find the right job, working organised rota's etc, etc.Granted it is a smooth process, BUT whenever i'm asked "Why do you want this job?" I answer with some mindless jargon that I'm now used to spilling out, "I see it as a good opertunity to gain experience in this field of work and Blah Blah Blah". The truth is I don't care, I just wanna get paid and this is the only option available to me right now.

Don't get me wrong, I do have dreams and amition to make something of my life, but if you have big ambitions you need a lot of spare time, during this spare time I need to survive, to survive I HAVE to work, not want to but HAVE to work to do so, and this takes up a depressing amount of time, time that I could be using to reach my goals and achieve my ambitions.

Also, I know people would kill to do what I do but that's not the point, my point is that regardless or race, country, status, you HAVE to work, there's no other way. I think that this Is very wrong, this is why we can never be truely free, we can never say "I'm not coming into work to because I feel I don't have to". I'm nothing special, I'm not a V.I.P, I just think it's unfair and this is why I want to find more people who feel the same becuase every day I find it harder and harder to believe that it's just me. It may be in my own mind, but to me it makes sense to not have to trudge through day to day life counting down the minutes until I can go home, if we're just wishing this time away, this may be harsh, but we might as well be dead, and I for one am not ready to die quietly!

However, working is also a good way to give back to society, work can be dependant of you class/income, material possetions and which holidays you can afford, BUT I don't care about classes, you could wear a full Armarni suit of a pair of tattered jeans and a wooly jumper and I'd still talk to you, if you're a good person then status and appearence doesn't matter, it's not about what you wear or the job you have, we're all of the same race. BUT, when you work you are forced into the jobs available to you, you can never give back to society in you OWN way, by helping the environment, being creative, sharing within a community and just looking after each other, it's by someone else's rules. Unless you enjoy working life and if you do then you have a very speical gift, hold on to it, but I am just not comfortable with it.

I hate every element of work, (this is the rant), I usually work 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, BUT i found a new job and moved in with my girlfried and the job I got didn't mention that "By the way, as if you didn't work enough we're gonna make you do 9 hours per day", I know it's only an extra hour but dammit, THAT ADDS UP! And I do have better things to do. I'm afriad to express these oppinions because when I tried I kind of got a "We're all happy, we enjoy it, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!".
But I just don't understand, we're humans, everyone on this planet should be free, YES, TOTALLY FREE, to do what they like without having to "make ends meet" without a crummy job that nobody wants and just...Be allowed to live, it doesn't sound crazy does it? It pains me to wake up in the morning everyday and leave my beautiful girlfriend in bed and have to spend days on end alone doing housework that I should be doing during the day, this ties in with the horrible sterotype that men can't do housework, but that's another discussion. Also, love is a very strong bond and it's hard being at work knowing that a loved one is sat, bored on their own during their summer holiday at university, it's a painfully numbing feeling, and knowing that when I return home she's not going to be there becuase she has to work too.

If you're reading and taking interest in this article I STRONGLY recommend you HUNT DOWN a film called "Koyaanisquatsi", it'll make my argument perfectly clear but It may crush any spirit you though you had, it's not for the weak minded and it's not a pretty sight. It refers back to putting back into society in your own way, helping the environment and community, all these buildings and businesses are ruining Earth everyday as we speak. It focuses on "Life OUt of Balance" with nature and personifies human beings as parasites as opposed to a race, we are breeding and taking over and nature is paying the price while we rape and pilage it. On aerial views places like New York, London, business cities actually look like microchips and circuits, and that's not good.

Unfortunatly, no-one thinks this "digital age" is a bad thing, but the end of the World is inevitable, and there'll be no-one to blame but us, human beings are tearing this World apart, and all for petty profit. "On the day of purification there will be nothing left but dust and cobwebs". Look at the World now and you'll see, there are spiders, and there are flies trying to avoid these cobwebs. Think long and hard, which one are you?

I'll not go on 'cos i'd be here all day, but basically long story short. Am I alone here? Is everybody REALLY plugged into the Matrix? Does anyone else believe that there's a better way? Is anyone with me on this at all?


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 2

Spynxxx

smiley - coolWelcome to the AWW Doc, always a pleasure to have more company.

I'm afraid I have no easy answer to the work dilema other than to suggest maybe a 'hippie commune' style of life, working instead for the greater good of the whole community smiley - erm.

The problem here is finding such a place that doesn't A- Revolve around religious zeallousness. B- Propound anti-government politics. C- Depend on illicet revenue in order to pay the property taxes on said commune in order to keep 'The Man' off your back smiley - thief.

Sounds like more work than 'work' doesn't it? Besides, you can't sneek a bite of crab puff when your sitting round a campfire singing kumbiyasmiley - winkeye

Anyways, thanks for your submission and keep on keeping on smiley - ok

Spynxxxsmiley - fullmoon


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 3

Phred Firecloud

Hi again, Doc

Someone in a recent online conversation suggested to me that the point where the human race went wrong was the invention of agriculture and the demise of the hunter-gatherer society. As I watch the yeast bubble five gallons of home-brew on my desk, I think about the ugly end that they face as they either consume all the available sugar and die or die in their own waste product of alcohol.smiley - sadface
How like humans thay are! How happy I am that they are breeding quickly and working on my behalf! smiley - smiley

Your entry made me think! Keep writing....and look around at all h2g2 has to offer. smiley - smiley

- Phred

smiley - fish


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 4

Phred Firecloud

Someone once made a sign that said "work will make you free"....I'd like to forget where that sign was posted.smiley - sadface

smiley - fish


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 5

Kat - From H2G2

For everyone who doesn't automatically know these things it was
"Arbeit Macht Frei" (Work Brings Freedom) and was on the gates of Auschwitz concentration camp.


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 6

LL Waz

Ouch! (Thanks Kat, I didn't know that.)

DrDuke, you reminded me of someone Pin wrote about - Gerrard Wistanley (A2821754), who wanted things different and tried to do something different. Although it was ownership of land he was concerned with rather than someone's ownership of your time. But its our time that earns us our livings these days, not our landholdings, so it's similar.

It's horrible feeling trapped and having no choice and no control.

We choose what standard of living we want, (well, those of us with the opportunity to choose to do more than just survive), but I don't think we always think clearly about the cost of it and whether it's actually the best we can get out of life.

Waz


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 7

Phred Firecloud

Hey Doc!

Here is a link to an Alternative Writing Workshop HST tribute written by an h2g2 researcher in New Zealand. A4177280 Hope You like it. I did.

smiley - fish Phred smiley - hsif


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 8

Dr. Gonzo

It's really cool to get so many replies to this, I can't really talk to anyone at work about it, because as I say...they look at me funny and I think it would jeapordise my job.

I will be writing other stuff here, and thanks to Phred and all you guys for the encouragement. I look forward to browsing these links!

Thanks guys and gals!


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 9

frontiersman

Hello DrDukeGonzo,

You say you're only 19 years of age. You've got the whole world before you at that age; especially if you also have good health and a reasonable education.
When I first started out to build a career of my choice I had a 'reasonable' education, but quite poor health. I fought to avoid having time off work with my complaint, which at times proved very difficult. I worked full 8 hour days and came home to my wife and 2 children only to disappear into the study to pursue a degree course. Being in accountancy, we had peak periods at quarter-end and year-end when we had to work all weekend and several evenings to gather all the data for the rigid deadlines of accounts publication and audit. Whenever I was tempted to complain, my immediate supervisor would say to me 'Well, there are 24 hours in every day; so use them!' This I used to take without question, but the 'injustice' of being told to forego sleep and/or time with our 2 boys used to quietly make me fume with indignation. Many of us then didn't have the luxury of a full-time degree course, with its chances to mix socially and spend time on private projects or with one's girlfriend. Many professional people have to work to attain higher qualifications such as masters degrees and doctorates in their subject specialisms. That's the way of this modern world; come to think of it, that has been the case throughout history.
So, shake yourself out of your self-pity and steel yourself for the challenges that lie ahead if you really want a profession that pays you enough to live a comfortable middle class lifestyle!
You should not expect sympathy from your fellow sufferers in the trials of life!
Good luck: And set yourself an achievable goal. If your interest is in music, then learn music from a music teacher, and not by twanging a guitar all day dreaming of hitting the big time. The scene is overloaded with thousands of rudderless dreamers. Become a trained musician, and then do your own thing, armed with a superior knowledge above the empty dreamers.

f.smiley - biggrinsmiley - cheers


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 10

Dr. Gonzo

First of all, thanks for the thought provoking reply. In polite conversation, no offence intended what so ever, and I do think you're right about stopping day dreaming. I understand that many people may agree and disagree with various points, which is good, people should have oppinions and express them, so thanks for the reply.

I have been taught by a music teacher for about 10 years, and I'm getting my old band back together and am currently arranging studio time in York, so I am getting on track with doing something about it, which is why your point is valid, it's the same conclusion I needed to make and you have just varified that, thanks again.

I know I may have seemed whiney about the situation and my intentions weren't to drag anyone else down, people do have rewarding jobs and ample education, I went to college and got my qualifications but I just couldn't get into my studies as much as I could my music. Don't get me wrong, I don't dream of making the big time and being a big rock star. I just want to make a living from it, with out being bought and sold, like being a private music teacher or owning or working in a music shop or something, then I'd have a real passion for my work.

I am however getting over this whole thing and following my ambitions regarding the bigger picture, I am only 19 after all and have ample time to sort myself out.

Thanks again for the reply.


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 11

frontiersman

Morning DrDukeGonzo,
You see man, you've been thoroughly confident and focussed on your chosen career all along!
You just needed another person's input and opinion to provide a further spur to action!
Now, there's an underused word if ever there was one: 'action!' Whenever one feels a little 'down in the mouth' about one's progress or commitment, or get doubts about your sense of direction or self-worth, think 'action!'
People have triumphed over the most extreme handicaps to spectacular success: Evelyn Glennie springs to mind as the musician extraordinaire! Utterly deaf; 'hears' her performance through the vibrations in her body, and can sense the minute differences between sharps, flats and natural notes and changes in key! Damned genious, if you ask me!
Best of luck in all that you do; and always be positive mentally, that will reflect in positive achievement and a settled strength of character.

Ron

f.smiley - magic


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 12

Dr. Gonzo

Which Is exactly what I needed to hear. Have yourself and excellent day! And the same goes, good luck to you too man!


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 13

cactuscafe

hey DrDuke -

thanks for your piece - and I can relate to what you're saying - wish I'd run into you when I was 19 - (I'm fifty). we could have had some real sparky discussions in the office canteen or wherever - turned the world right over! ...

I remember koyaanisquatsi - (and its sequel powaqqatsi?)

I used to watch it about every other night for a year ....a masterpiece of film making - --

- yes, the workplace - my route has taken me from a career in the BBC World Service, via breakdown time in a therapy centre, to packing tofu burgers ....and much more. I am an artist, but have never lived from my real trade - I always try to find ways to open gaps in the work schedule for my own thoughts and dreams -

a couple of years back I was washing up in a vegetarian restaurant, and I used to deeply inhale all the steam from the dishwasher - really sweaty and greasy,(but veggie).., and it kind of brought on visions for my next drawing or song or writing ..... (hope my boss isn't reading this ....)

I don't know the answers on a wider scale - I'm an inner-activist mainly, the personal being political and all that - because I know that it is my way, and I want my contribution to be honest and effective - however, - I'd die for inner-truth - I know that.

I'm sure these philosophers and thinkers on this site will be able to come up with their part of the plan!

on with the music mate! let me know when the CD is out

Helen


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 14

Dr. Gonzo

We're in the studio soon, so i'll keep you posted, and I thank you for your interest.

I got Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi in a box set but i'm still yet to watch powaqqatsi, I'm waiting until i'm in the right mood for that 'cos to be Koyaanisquatsi in my opinion was brutally harsh! Although it's a work of sheer genius.

Are you a vegetarian? And you say you're an artist, what kind of material do you....do? My friend in Lincoln is studying for an art degree and we're currently purchasing his work for our new place, he does some excellent paintings!

What kind of music are you into?


A4468944 - Work, Am I Alone Here?

Post 15

cactuscafe

hey DrDuke

yes, I'm a veggie-burger brown rice n'beans kind of girl ...

artistry - well, have had a world of my own in my head since the age of five - these days I try to write it, add a drawing, then set it to music ...... my husband's a musician, so we collaborate, and answer the cats in the alley with our harmonies -

When I was a kid I thought that by the time I was fifty I would be sitting in a garden with a cup of tea and a good novel, eating buns and honey ....... but it just gets more crazy, more mysterious, more illuminating ..... wouldn't trade, but could do with the buns and honey - and the garden, and the good novel and smiley - tea

my own musical tastes? - well, like the late great John Peel - I love to listen out for anything with a spark - you know ... some kind of spark -so that takes me from the Velvet Underground to the Flaming Lips, via Beefheart, Mercury Rev, Mushroomhead, Bright Eyes, Beethoven, Mozart, Devendra Banhart - Leonard Cohen, Acid Mothers Temple, intense sacred masses sung in Latin - eclectic is the word - just started listening to Roky Erikson from the 13th Floor Elevators (...... 60s) .... he's being written about at the moment as he's just emerged from mental hospital in Texas - he's a psychedelic wizard ---

Gotta go - go for it DrDuke!

Helen


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more