Work, Am I Alone Here?

2 Conversations

I'm 19 years old, I moved out of my parents house about a year ago now and after making ends meet here there and everywhere, there's one question I've been wanting to ask many people, a question I'd ask Karma its-self and hope for a few replies from the open minded masses. My question is it is just me, or does the concept of "Working life" not seem right to anyone else other than me?

I apologise if this sounds like a rant by the way, but this is just an oppinion, it's an uncomfortable subject it seems for some people but I'm just tired of keeping it quiet.

Let's just think about the pros and cons, granted, working life is a way to get by, you earn a living by going to work everyday, having weekends off IF you find the right job, working organised rota's etc, etc.Granted it is a smooth process, BUT whenever i'm asked "Why do you want this job?" I answer with some mindless jargon that I'm now used to spilling out, "I see it as a good opertunity to gain experience in this field of work and Blah Blah Blah". The truth is I don't care, I just wanna get paid and this is the only option available to me right now.

Don't get me wrong, I do have dreams and amition to make something of my life, but if you have big ambitions you need a lot of spare time, during this spare time I need to survive, to survive I HAVE to work, not want to but HAVE to work to do so, and this takes up a depressing amount of time, time that I could be using to reach my goals and achieve my ambitions.

Also, I know people would kill to do what I do but that's not the point, my point is that regardless or race, country, status, you HAVE to work, there's no other way. I think that this Is very wrong, this is why we can never be truely free, we can never say "I'm not coming into work to because I feel I don't have to". I'm nothing special, I'm not a V.I.P, I just think it's unfair and this is why I want to find more people who feel the same becuase every day I find it harder and harder to believe that it's just me. It may be in my own mind, but to me it makes sense to not have to trudge through day to day life counting down the minutes until I can go home, if we're just wishing this time away, this may be harsh, but we might as well be dead, and I for one am not ready to die quietly!

However, working is also a good way to give back to society, work can be dependant of you class/income, material possetions and which holidays you can afford, BUT I don't care about classes, you could wear a full Armarni suit of a pair of tattered jeans and a wooly jumper and I'd still talk to you, if you're a good person then status and appearence doesn't matter, it's not about what you wear or the job you have, we're all of the same race. BUT, when you work you are forced into the jobs available to you, you can never give back to society in you OWN way, by helping the environment, being creative, sharing within a community and just looking after each other, it's by someone else's rules. Unless you enjoy working life and if you do then you have a very speical gift, hold on to it, but I am just not comfortable with it.

I hate every element of work, (this is the rant), I usually work 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, BUT i found a new job and moved in with my girlfried and the job I got didn't mention that "By the way, as if you didn't work enough we're gonna make you do 9 hours per day", I know it's only an extra hour but dammit, THAT ADDS UP! And I do have better things to do. I'm afriad to express these oppinions because when I tried I kind of got a "We're all happy, we enjoy it, ONE OF US, ONE OF US!".
But I just don't understand, we're humans, everyone on this planet should be free, YES, TOTALLY FREE, to do what they like without having to "make ends meet" without a crummy job that nobody wants and just...Be allowed to live, it doesn't sound crazy does it? It pains me to wake up in the morning everyday and leave my beautiful girlfriend in bed and have to spend days on end alone doing housework that I should be doing during the day, this ties in with the horrible sterotype that men can't do housework, but that's another discussion. Also, love is a very strong bond and it's hard being at work knowing that a loved one is sat, bored on their own during their summer holiday at university, it's a painfully numbing feeling, and knowing that when I return home she's not going to be there becuase she has to work too.

If you're reading and taking interest in this article I STRONGLY recommend you HUNT DOWN a film called "Koyaanisquatsi", it'll make my argument perfectly clear but It may crush any spirit you though you had, it's not for the weak minded and it's not a pretty sight. It refers back to putting back into society in your own way, helping the environment and community, all these buildings and businesses are ruining Earth everyday as we speak. It focuses on "Life OUt of Balance" with nature and personifies human beings as parasites as opposed to a race, we are breeding and taking over and nature is paying the price while we rape and pilage it. On aerial views places like New York, London, business cities actually look like microchips and circuits, and that's not good.

Unfortunatly, no-one thinks this "digital age" is a bad thing, but the end of the World is inevitable, and there'll be no-one to blame but us, human beings are tearing this World apart, and all for petty profit. "On the day of purification there will be nothing left but dust and cobwebs". Look at the World now and you'll see, there are spiders, and there are flies trying to avoid these cobwebs. Think long and hard, which one are you?

I'll not go on 'cos i'd be here all day, but basically long story short. Am I alone here? Is everybody REALLY plugged into the Matrix? Does anyone else believe that there's a better way? Is anyone with me on this at all?

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A4468944

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more