A Conversation for Work, Am I Alone Here?

Good article! Sad though..

Post 1

igoragor

It's been almost a year since you wrote this article...
I wonder how you feel now?

The basic premise of your argument is one that is shared by EVERY SINGLE working-class human being on the planet. Hell, I went through a stage in life (I was 21) where I also thought: "Is this me? am I really supposed to sit here at work and rot for a third of my life?"
The answer is not simple, and comes with time. I guess you resign yourself that it is the way the world works, and you're gonna have to put up with it (and far worse) if you want to lead a relatively comfortable life.

It's either that or moving to Brazil and setting up camp in the rainforest to live off your own subsistence. No electricity, no healthcare.

See, the way my rebellious mind finally came to terms with the fact that we all have to work was the realisation that this is the way the world works. Full stop. As much as you and I try to search for alternatives to our lifestyles, there is just no hope. The 'system' in the developed world today is set and shall remain set for centuries, and will take a lot more than us complaining to change it.

Enough doom speak though. Whilst I was thinking about this in my younger years I came up with a few ideas that do away with 9-5 work

a) Start your own business.
This is a super way to get out of the corporate vicegrip. Work for yourself, earn as much as you work. It will be hard, and your hours will likely evolve from the tame 9-5 into a wild 7-10. But, you will be working for yourself, and you'll have a degree of independence. If you don't have the money to do it, then this is a good goal to work towards - it's what I'm doing. 9-5 for a couple of years till i have enough capital to blow on a nifty idea I have :P

b) Become a farmer in a third world country
Once again, hard work, but not in an office, and very gratifying. Contrary to popular lore, farmers in third world countries are some of the richest.

c) set up a shack in the rainforests of Brazil.
Get a diesel generator and satellite internet uplink, and hey presto.
Beware of killer snakes/bees/beetles/fish/*insert random animal here*

If the above aren't valid options, then you'd better get used to that office of yours...

Keep well
Igor


Key: Complain about this post

Good article! Sad though..

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more