A Conversation for Project: USA - Birth of a Nation

offering help w/AmRev

Post 1

Bucky

Mr Sellers, before finding your articles in the "Birth of a Nation" topic, I made two entries on this topic. I'd like to see if you would accept them as part of your project. The first is a very brief bio on George Washington and the other is a summary of the Revolutionary War itself. The links for these are at:
http://www.h2g2.com/A491393
http://www.h2g2.com/A490187

Are there other topics that you'd like to see covered in this area?


offering help w/AmRev

Post 2

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Welcome to the project, Bucky. smiley - smiley

I like the George Washington piece, and it will be perfectly suitable for this project. I'd be glad to include it.

I'm not so sure about the other one, though. I think it takes a very broad and general view, which doesn't quite fit in with the work here. For instance, the information you cover on the origins of the conflict is already covered in much greater detail in my piece on the Seeds of the Revolution. Jimi X and I are also planning on going into much greater detail on the war itself, which will be packaged in another University project that will deal solely with military aspects of the Revolution. Jimi has already completed pieces for this, including one on Valley Forge, and my piece on the Hudson River campaign is a very comprehensive discussion of the victory at Saratoga, which your piece glosses over rather quickly. That's what we're going for here... some rather rich detail and some good historical perspective. I don't think that article adds anything that we didn't already cover or intend to cover in far greater detail.

However, if you would like to continue to support this project, I would be more than happy to accept further works from you on related topics. We could always use more bios (in addition to yours, Jimi plans one on "Mad" Anthony Wayne, and I plan one on Benedict Arnold), and if you wanted to delve into a specific aspect of the fighting, I'm sure we could find an area that has yet to be covered... to this date, the Quebec invasion, the Southern Campaign, and various other theaters have yet to be begun. And then there's all that naval stuff yet to be addressed, like the escapades of John Paul Jones. The more I think about this project, the more articles I discover that there are to be written. Any help you want to offer would be extremely welcome.


offering help w/AmRev

Post 3

Martin Harper

Hi ColSellers smiley - smiley

The George Washington entry is fine for the project, you say, so it would seem sensible to move it from Peer Review to here, and make it officially part of this project. Bucky is currently AFh2g2, but I can't see that he'd have any objections anyhow...

The other entry - I think it could reasonably be sin-binned for "duplication" of the two uni projects


offering help w/AmRev

Post 4

Martin Harper

ick - already has been - misread...

George Washington entry is in Peer Review still, though. Is there a reason why?


offering help w/AmRev

Post 5

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I went back and re-read the article on Washington, and I had a change of heart. I think I was a bit too eager to get assistance on the project when I read it the first time. The Washington article isn't quite ready for prime-time... it needs quite a bit of work. Since the author is AWOL, I'd recommend it to the Workshop.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more