A Conversation for American Cuisine

Food of my youth

Post 1

Kady

I don't think you can really discuss American food without mentioning that wonderful invention the crockpot. These things hit a peak in the 70s and seem to be coming back into style, which makes me happy because it's really hard to mess up crockpot food.
Sometimes known as a slow-cooker, the crock pot is basically an electric kettle made from some sort of ceramic (hence the name).You fill it with meat, vegtables and other good things, plug into the wall and walk away for four to six hours. When you return there is a hot home-cooked meal waiting for you.
The cool thing about crockpots is that you can make anything from jambalaya to southern barbeque. My mom used to load up the crockpot in the morning before heading to work and when we all got home in the evening, there was dinner. Very American.


Food of my youth

Post 2

Fragilis - h2g2 Cured My Tabular Obsession

That's amazingly true.

I think it's also notable how Americans add more meat to everyone else's dishes before serving them. Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Indian, French, German, Italian, and African restaurants invariably increase their meat portions exponentially before finding success here. Even Mexican and Latin American food is given this treatment, except in rare circumstances where restaurants are opened by and for Spanish-speaking citizens.


Food of my youth

Post 3

Random Task

We Must not forget the country favorite, Fried Chicken. Add some mashed potatoes, that white chicken gravy made from the left-over fat and chicken bits, and some green beans. Top it off with a tall glass of milk. It's what every college student dreams of when they go home to visit their folks. I know I do.


Food of my youth

Post 4

Researcher 205930

You are forgetting the ever important microwave. If it can be "nuked", then Americans will love it.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more