A Conversation for American Cuisine

Regional variety

Post 1

dElaphant (and Zeppo his dog (and Gummo, Zeppos dog)) - Left my apostrophes at the BBC

It would be nice to expand this entry beyond the middle-class foods you mention here.

The US, if that's what you mean by America, is a pretty big place and has lots of regional styles that reflect immigrant cultures and native influences. In the northeast you have cornbreads and maple syrup, in the south soul food and grits, there's cajun cooking and tex-mex, and the granola-type thing they do along the Pacific coast.

Plus, since this is an entry on American *Cuisine*, not just cooking, you've got to mention McDonalds and Pizza Hut. They are distinctly American, much to our embarrassment (but I have to admit I eat there too).

Golly, you didn't even mention Thanksgiving Dinner, which has a menu that only few American families stray from: turkey, saugage and bread stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn, mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Gads I could just keep going on -
New England clam chowder
Manhattan clam chowder
hot dogs
hamburgers
tofu burgers
barbeque (the kind with charcoal grills)
barbeque (the kind with meat cooked in moist heat for a long time, with lots of sauce)
anything with corn
tomatoes
Chicago deep-dish pizza
Salt water taffy (OK, maybe candy should not be here)
wonder bread
Virginia ham
cheddar cheese
American pasturized process cheese food product (this could use an entry all to itself)
potato chips
chocolate chip cookies

** forcibly pulls himself away from the keyboard **


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more