A Conversation for The Virtual Prez of h2g2

Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 1

Demon Drawer

Demon Drawer is sick and tired of comments being mad e about his spelling.

For those of you who don't know me I am Dyslexic, only mildly and have used this site to help improve my level of word recognition, which if any of you know a sufferer is very hard at times as often when we write or type we do not see the transposition we have made ourselves.

This is really starting to grate me the wrong way especiallly as I have come though a very hard 10 days and have in that period told my mother, father and work colleagues about my sexual orientation as well.

All the recent commenting about my spelling coming to the fore again is not helping me in the slightest and until now I felt I had the supprot of the h2g2 community now I am not so sure.

I am seriously considering whether it is worth taking any more of this abuse or not either as

a) a Prez candidate

and

b) as a researcher

This is really starting to annoy me nad some people carry it on even after I try and tell them to stop it, which is vulgar and rude as well. This is a fun campaign and picking on me in this way is no longer helping me to enjoy my time here as I like.

This is a haven for me and I have a lot of friends here, so please don't take that away from me please.

Thank you for you support. I hope.

Vote DD and J for Fun and Equality.


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 2

The Masque of the Red..., Emperor of Planet X

DD -- I know I'm the villian in this campaign, but I want to make sure that I haven't offended you with my campaign platform. I wrote in my publicity statement that I was in support of poor spelling -- as a joke. I didn't know that any of my "opponents" were dyslexic, and after reading your notice I realized that my joke could be taken as an insult towards you. I didn't mean it that way.

/Red


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 3

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Yeah, I have a cousin who is dyslexic, and as a result, didn't make it through high-school. He got his GED (Graduation Equivalency Diploma), though, and is doing pretty well, now.

The Masque's Better Half,
Irving Washington


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 4

Demon Drawer

Masque don't worry it was more the things directly in forums that did upset me. I think some sort of Spell check is well over due on h2g2. smiley - smiley


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 5

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

probably


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 6

RedFish ><>

i agree, my spelling in fora is less than great


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 7

Ming Mang

Never trust a computer spell-checker. Especially if it's from Microsoft.
DD, don't give up on us! I know loads of people who are dyslexic and are incredibly depressed about it, it's great that you're not! Don't stop now! There are plenty of people who aren't dyslexic but still can't spell... I have to help my sister with her spelling when my mum can't, she needs help every day...
smiley - smiley - keep smiling!

¦M¦


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 8

jr52 (ting-a-)

DD, this whole place is in jest. Methinks your 'outing' is more the cause of your discomfort.("of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.") Tough decision. But,(there's always a 'but') from the outlook of my friends (yes, I have a couple; maybe, three even) and acquaintenses, usually, it's a good one.

Buck up. Life is just a chair of bowlies.


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 9

Demon Drawer

ANd no this whole place is not in Jest. The articles I write are based on fact and so are not in jest they are there to give infomation on Sol 3 mind you I'm in this race to win. And I have cheered up, just RL has been really hectic this last little while and I'm open about my emootions especially here.

smiley - smiley


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 10

jr52 (ting-a-)

I didn't mean to intimate that articles for the guide were in jest. I do check here for info and believe the info is in a entertaining format as in the hg2g. Most sites are sooo boring. I'm glad you feel comfortable being comfortable here and that is probably why this is the only site I go to for conversation and company.

I possibly didn't understand about the vr prez race. I thought it was a fun endeavor to pass some time and get somebody in line for cutting ribbons, kissing babies, launching ships and such. The mud slinging and such was to interject a bit of reality into an unreal situation and provide some diversion. See scandals and rumours. It's just a game and as such (particularly here) it's how you play it that matters. Yes, winning is funner regardless of the endeavor but, the play is the thing.

Played for a slow pitch ball team for a few years, a while back, and our whole mission was to learn how to 'play'. Our team consisted of people that knew how to compete, but, we didn't know how to 'play'.
Got slaughtered on a regular basis, but we had more fun than the other teams. One year we even called ourselves the "roadkills" and all had the same number on our shirts "so we don't screw up the batting order". It was a hoot. Whenever I run into anyone from the teams one of the first things that comes up was how much fun we had doing it. I even run into particpants from teams we played and they remember up because we seemed to be having a good time. One guy (a pretty seriou player-tournament level) played on our team the last couple of years because the teams he was usually on "were not any fun". Oh well, enough of that.

Really, I'm glad you are here.

ttfn


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 11

Redbeard (Thanks to all who supported The Celery!))

Well said, jr.

DD, I've noticed that my spelling has deteriorated since I started at h2g2, and I don't know if a spell-check will help -- might actually hurt me.

I've found myself using bizarre spellings at my job like 'colour' or 'centre' and getting strange looks from people.
smiley - bigeyes


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 12

Chris Tonks

[Beeoop. I would also like to bring into this conversation the fact that different cultures have different spellings. One very good example is of course 'color' and 'colour'.]

[As well as this misunderstanding, the h2g2 Community is made of many people from many countries, not just England and America. Many people from other countries find it unbelievably hard to write perfectly in English.]

[And one final point I would wish to make. Even my owner, Pr. C. Tonks, who is notorious for good spelling, has to take his time to spell correctly, and the main reason people spell wrongly on h2g2 is because they hurry. This is natural and nothing to be ashamed of, of course.]

[Thankyou. Have a nice day...]


Notice to all Prez Candidates

Post 13

Demon Drawer

Some of us have so much to read and reply to and too little time. smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post