A Conversation for Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PC game)

Peer Review: A3625689 - Review of the computer game Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Post 41

frontiersman

Yes, that's what I said in effect: 'We in the UK are equally guilty in our demand for violent films and video games'. (this may not be verbatim, as I do not have the passage in front of me). And that word 'silly' again. It does not strengthen your argument to be semi-insulting to your correspondents, you know. It often signals defeat of your own argument. Think about it!


Peer Review: A3625689 - Review of the computer game Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Post 42

GodBen (The Magical Astronomer) - 00000011

The GTA games are actually made in Britain.


Peer Review: A3625689 - Review of the computer game Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Post 43

echomikeromeo

<>

I'm sorry if you found that word offensive; it's just the way I talk and a word I'm afraid I do tend to overuse. I just meant to say that I felt what you were saying didn't really make a lot of sense. If I have in any way offended the participants in this discussion in my ill-chosen, juvenile vocabulary, I do most humbly and sincerely apologise. Revoco, I recant, anything I may have said that could be construed as insulting. I additionally commend your patience. The majority of adults lose interest far more quickly when I start prattling on about something about which I know very little.

smiley - dragon


Peer Review: A3625689 - Review of the computer game Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Post 44

frontiersman

No, its not offensive. Don't apologise. It is just that the older set like myself see the use of this type of word as a 'get out' when the user is a little unsure of the argument he is putting forward. Like I said before, it tends to dampen the force of one's argument when one uses it. Or, put another way, your argument is more forceful if you exclude it.


Peer Review: A3625689 - Review of the computer game Grand Theft Auto Vice City

Post 45

Blackberry Cat , if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque

Still its not enough to say the immediate post-war years were less violent and then blame increased violence today on the media. The 1940s-50s were an unusual period in British history. Most of it has been much more violent than that period. I suspect the relatively low level of violence had more to do with social cohesion created by WWII and the sense of opportunity for everyone and a society that was working for everyones benefit that then existed.

As for computer games/ violent games desensitising people to real violence I doubt it. I suspect if I encountered real violence I'd be smiley - bleep scared.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more