A Conversation for h2g2 Version 2 Help

Align Problem

Post 1

From Distant Shores

The align attribute no longer seems to work with the tag when it previously did.

The following fragment appeared centred with the old GuideML, whereas now it appears left justified.



Them a loot, Them a shoot
Them a wail, At Shanty Town
When rude boy deh 'pon probation
Then rude boy a bomb up the town



From Distant Shores



Align Problem

Post 2

Bruce

As far as I know that's because the tag is now GuideML & has no ALIGN attribute - though I think it still works on HTML pages.

You can use the .... tag around a block of stuff in GuideML currently & it will centre.

hope it helpssmiley - smiley
;^)#


Align Problem

Post 3

Mark Moxon

Indeed, the ALIGN attribute is not supported. And CENTER might suffer a similar fate...

Alignment in a pure markup language is not desirable, and GuideML is moving towards being a totally pure markup language (so we can guarantee effects on phones etc.).

For a list of what we consider to be approved GuideML, check out http://www.h2g2.com/A264520 - other tags will work, but we won't guarantee to continue to support entioned tags in future versions of GuideML.

I guess we're being purist in the way that HTML never managed to be.

(NB It hasn't been updated with the SMILEY tag yet, which is approved)


Align Problem

Post 4

Bruce

>(NB It hasn't been updated with the SMILEY tag yet, which is approved)

but the Clinic hassmiley - winkeye
;^)#


Align Problem

Post 5

From Distant Shores

Bruce

Many thanks

(-:

From Distant Shores


Align Problem

Post 6

From Distant Shores

Thanks. You've just convinced me to stop using GuideML.

From Distant Shores


Align Problem

Post 7

From Distant Shores

By the Way

You really should tell your friends over at The Post that they shouldn't be using alignment. They're source is full of ALIGNs.


Align Problem

Post 8

Bruce

The HTML that h2g2 generates for GuideML is full of TABLEs & other things that use the ALIGN attribute - so the source you see in your browser can be misleading.

Reverse engineering the HTML back to GuideML can be a great way to wile away the hourssmiley - winkeye

;^)#


Key: Complain about this post