A Conversation for h2g2 Version 2 Help

Help needed with backgrounds

Post 1

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

I've always seperated things on my homepage by typing them in a different color. The problem with that is that it is impossible to put in colors that contrast well in both background types. As I was testing ripley, though, I just figured all along that I would, when it went live, change my background color with a bgcolor= attribute in the body tag. Then I would have one standard background in both skins, and I would be free to tailor text colors to go with it.

However, it seems that the parser is completely ignoring my bgcolor attribute. How do I override my background setting? I can't even do it if my page is in HTML... there is no body tag to add the attribute to, and when I add one, it also seems to be ignored.


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 2

Bruce

The Towers seem pretty determined that the skins be presented as they were designed & are making it difficult to modify them 'unofficially'.

Jim Lynn said that they are intending to add some FONT colour GuideML tags that will display nicely in both skins.

In the meantime this seems to work


document.bgColor='green';


Like here http://www.h2g2.com/A304570smiley - winkeye - at least until javascript is switched off.

;^)#


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 3

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Many thanks... I'm assuming any bgcolor name or rgb number will work? Off to experiment...

BTW... that is ONE ugly mouse pointer. smiley - winkeye


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 4

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Okay, I've been experimenting a bit, and it seems that I am still running into a limitation: link colors. Have you got a handy tool that'll let me modify link colors?


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 5

Bruce

Yep on the bgcolor/rbg value smiley - winkeye

;^)#


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 6

Blatherskite the Mugwump - Bandwidth Bandit

Disregard that last... I found the telegram laying on the table at Lil's place, donut crumbs and coffee stains rendering it nearly illegible. smiley - winkeye Thanks for the help.


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 7

The Jester (P. S. of Village Idiots, Muse of Comedians, Keeper of Jokes, Chef and Seraph of Bad Jokes) LUG @ A458228

What I think they should do is have tags like where you use regular HTML colours for each of goo and alabaster.

3smiley - biggrin

JOTD: Doctors say that those who are cheerful resist disease better than those that are grumpy. I guess that means the surly bird gets the germ.


Help needed with backgrounds

Post 8

Bruce

There is talk of there being a COLOR type tag in GuideML that would provide colour support that is safe for both skins.

;^)#


Key: Complain about this post