A Conversation for The Rochdale Pioneers

Peer Review: A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 1

Researcher 177704

Entry: The Rochdale Pioneers - A3369855
Author: Rocket Man - U177704

The majority of this entry was written by theWeslyan (U764524). I picked up it up from the Flea Market.

A2764424: original entry.
F1840716?thread=438312: first PR thread.

smiley - rocket


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 2

Pinniped


Good job, RM. The subject is a must for the EG, and your effort will surely get it there.

I also think you've got a fair balance here. Some might claim that it veers towards opinion at the very end, but the goals of these men were a mixture of high moral ideals and practical self-help. The fact that the more pragmatic objectives were the only ones fully realised is an important lesson for a reader to consider.

In the 'Rochdale Store' section there's an 1884 that should presumably be 1844.


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 3

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

I guess my comment would be that this entry seems to suggest that the Rochdale group was the start of not only the modern British cooeprative society, but also of such groups internationally -- I was not under the impression that the latter was the case.


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 4

McKay The Disorganised

I dunno that it says that Mikey... I liked the original and think RM has improved it with the bio's and bits and pieces.

smiley - ok by me.

smiley - cider


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 5

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

Really? I thought it said so quite clearly:

"The Rochdale Equitable Pioneers' Society, founded with a capital of £28 in 1844, is regarded as the prototype of the modern co-operative society in all of its various guises."


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 6

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

And even where the entry does refer to earlier societies, it only refers to those in Britain, giving the appearance that the concept was unique to Britain when it was not.


A3369855 - The Rochdale Pioneers

Post 7

McKay The Disorganised

For me the word modern had equal emphasis to prototype.

I've got to admit I don't know anything about co-operatives elsewhere. smiley - blush

smiley - cider


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 8

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 9

Pinniped

smiley - bubbly


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 10

Geggs

Well done!smiley - applause

I've liked the entry since I saw it on it's first appearance in PR, and I'm glad that it's finally been picked.


Geggs


Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 11

SchrEck Inc.

Hi RM and everybody,

I've been given this wonderful entry to subedit, and the result is at A3482796. If you spot anything that needs attention, please drop me a note. smiley - bigeyes

SchrEck Inc.


Key: Complain about this post