A Conversation for Former HEAVEN...

Wings! please, wait!!

Post 441

Kes

Kasia - the newbies list is at:

http://www.h2g2.com/A455564

Please record any ones you greet in the "Click here to discuss" . .. and thanks ...

Yes, I'd prefer the cooperation and forgiveness bit ... I hate to see anyone leave - especially because they're unhappy (applies to Matt, Wings, anyone else). On the other hand, I have to accept that if they've decided the place is not for them .. that's their choice.

I'm sure there's a good solution to this particular issue (GA\AA), but at the moment at least two of the "protagonists" are nose-to-nose. You can't see mucvh of a bigger picture at such close range. If it were my call (which is easy to say, because it ain't my call) I'd suggest that Wings tries to ignore some of the aggro for a couple of days - wait & see what ideas the GAs come up with, then comment on them ...contribute - work to make the GA outfit work for everyone. If it still doesn't work - OK, well we tried, we'll have to move on to something else.

Anyway, Wings - whether you're thinking about h2g2, or about GA\AA - just remember - you can't influence anything from the outside, but you can contribute from the inside.


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 442

Kasia, P.S. of Syncopation,Muse of Classic Goo Fans, Keeper of Rainbows, Zaphodista (visit Crossed Purposes Pub: A429310)

Thanks, Kes


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 443

Clelba

mew?
^. .^
= ' =


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 444

Courtney Patron Saint of Social Embarassment

ummm quick question What is wrong with everyone? I can see the GA point of view the graphics do look alike. But they are graphics. This is begining to get crazy first its ACE vs GA then its Mat and the Towers and now its GA against the AA.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but are we or are we not supposed to be helping people here. What is wrong with a new section of Angels? If anyone wants to get right down to it the ACEs can say the GA's were modeled after them.

Can we just stop always being at each others throats and be friends again. Come on lets go greet lots of newbies and kick some ACE a*s.
smiley - winkeye

Courtney smiley - smiley


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 445

Clelba

I think I want to be a special type of GA who doesn't greet people but helps with questions or whatever. Could this be arranged, or shall I just not bother with the greeting people? I don't wanna be selfish, but it takes too much effort and time, and i really don't have any effort/time.
^. .^
= ' =


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 446

Will Jenkins (Dead)

May I ask if my a*s is going to be kicked or not?


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 447

Clelba

Are you going tomorrow night? Cos if so, I can kick your RL a*s.
^. .^
= ' =


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 448

Courtney Patron Saint of Social Embarassment

Of corse not Will, Unless you like that sort of thing smiley - winkeye


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 449

Clelba

I wouldn't be surprised. You should see his hair, the photo on his space doesn't do justice to the sheer mass of it.
^. .^
= ' =


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 450

Will Jenkins (Dead)

<--Begin RL-->
I do like it when people get on well. Claire, you are very welcome to kick my a*s tomorrow, though why you'd want to is beyond me. Personally I would like to kick Matt Phelps' a*s, but each to his/her own. The mass of hair (which many refer to (affectionally) as 'the mop') is one of the little joys which is afforded to a non-sporty, non-intelectual, computer-geek of a teenager who is cursed with people who just, "don't understand".
You can kick me all you want, but you'll have my computer-mumbo-jumbo to answer to.
<--End RL-->

<--Begin computer-mumbo-jumbo>
At the moment I'm taking a close look at the kernel of Red Hat 7 so that I can make any changes which suit me. Sadly I'm having to do this using a Win2K dual-boot machiene. Luckily there's a copy of GCC (the GNU's compiler) available for Win32, so I should be able to compile it. The problem is going to be my PCI ISDN card, will it work?
<--End computer-mumbo-jumbo>


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 451

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

probably but don't hold me to that


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 452

Archangel Tweetie (01/06/02...)

Ummm, as I am backlog-phobic, and was devotedly revising last night, what's gone on?


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 453

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

not much some one wants to knowif somecard will still work withwindows 2k Angel wings sez she might pack up shop and leave and we're all confused cos of the AA GA thingy and the GA ACE thingy etc


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 454

Kes

*Lifts head away from brick wall*

Will - if you're using Red Hat Linux V7 from their CD, be aware that not all the other S/W on there has been upgraded from the previous release, so while Linux V7 is great, you could be short a couple of utils 'til they release patches.

That was the easy bit to answer.

For the rest of it ... *raises eyes towards Heaven* .. Hey! can we please have some easier questions down here?
*Silence - which I guess means "No, you're stuck with the questions you've got"*

We wouldn't be arguing so much if we didn't all believe strongly in what we're doing, and that h2g2 is a damn good universe for us. OK - so some of us also disagree with others' methods. I've got a suggestion, and it is not addressed at any one of you guys - honest - it's for all of us (or any of us that want it). If any of you read this, and think it's aimed specifically at you, honest, it isn't, but if it finds a target, maybe it's worth considering ...

Have you got a firmly held opinion here? Maybe you've also backed that opinion up with some actions? That means you now feel you "own" it, and if someone else criticises it, you've got to defend it ... which means you end up taking a swipe at someone else's opinion ... and we have an argument on our hands. Sound familiar?

You're convinced you're right ... but so is the other guy. Might be so , or you might both be wrong ... or both right ... but you never get to consider that, because you're each too close to the opinion you "own".

(I'm including myself in this, BTW - I'm just as bad).

So write your opinion down (just so you don't forget it). Then put the piece of paper on a table and walk away from it for a few minutes. When you come back - it's not "your" piece of paper any more - it's an idea to think about. If you look (in the postings) you'll find lots of other pieces of paper like it. Ignore the arguments that followed in the threads - go for the original ideas. Forget who wrote them - just look at the ideas. Which ones work best?

Now come back here and tell us which you think are the best ideas. I'll do the same. That's the deal - no "flaming" any ideas we don't like - just pointing out the ones that should work. Let's see what's on the table after that.

If it doesn't work, you can all come and join me & Tweetie at the brick wall over there.


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 455

Will Jenkins (Dead)

In fact it does work with winnt I was asking if it would work with RH.

Kes - Thanx for the help, unfortunatly the RH 7 CD hasn't arrived yet, I'm experiencing that feeling you get when you know something will arrive soon, but when it arrives it won't work as well as you'd hoped!


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 456

Clelba

y do i bother?
^. .^
= ' =


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 457

Kes

Hi, Clelba.
I bother because not bothering is not trying to help your friends.
I have no other answers, but I have some chocolate ... here.
*Offers piece of chocolate*


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 458

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

Clelba, how will you ~get~ the questions if you don't greet newcomers?


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 459

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

well, thier is the "apply for a guardian angel" link could use that


Wings! please, wait!!

Post 460

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

BUT they won't GET that link UNLESS they are greeted by Guardian Angels!!!!!!!!!


Key: Complain about this post