A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2041

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

That's the Wynona Ryder defense. smiley - silly

Consti-conga-tution! smiley - laugh


The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2042

MoFoLo

There has to be more to the scanner story. Is it manned by a human who has to see your Debit/credit card? How would the scanning be done without the human. The Scanner going to know your face and charge your account?? After scanning (by human) it would be passed over the deactifying scanner which should remove the signal.

I'll pass on the conga line. But you all have fun!


The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2043

healingmagichands

Well, I just did a quick google on rfid. I had no idea, but there is actually a RFID journal smiley - yikes
http://www.rfidjournal.com/faq/29/37
Check it out


The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2044

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Conga-like-you-mean-it!

Please-don't-make-me-hurt-you!

smiley - biggrin


The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2045

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Good question, kelli.

I think at point of sale there would *have* to be a scanner at least, even though tags can be scanned from several feet away (although some can be scanned from 20 meters or more) in order to cancel any 'help, I've been stolen!" code?

I don't know if they've hit in the UK yet, but Master Card already has a credit card with an rfid in it, that can be scanned from a couple feet away when waved in front of a sensor, so you don't even have to swipe it physically. (what if you're just swinging your purse over your shoulder, by the sensor?)

Although some of the manufacturers of the tags are taking about embedding them in items, like in the seams of clothing, in electronic devices like pdas, mp2 players. Then they would be able to target onsite active sales displays by who the manufacturers of your clothes or your trainers...

http://www.epic.org/privacy/rfid/ (although these guys are more paranoid than I am...smiley - winkeye)

SC


The Backroom Chat About American Politics (1)

Post 2046

Spaceechik, Typomancer

that would be "talking about" and "MP3 players", of course smiley - blush

you can tell I don't have a player...

SC


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2047

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Was it just me, or did anyone else hear the media finally develop a spine Monday morning at the press conference?

When Bush was telling everyone how we must stay the course or everything in Iraq would fall apart , one of the reporters asked if maybe we'd have done better to never have gone to Iraq in the first place?

To which Bush replied that we *had* to, after "they killed 3,000 of our citizens on 9-11", at which point another reporter asked, wasn't it true that Iraq had had nothing to do with the attack? Bush said (so angry he was stuttering!), "Yes, but we have to stay the course..." Gobsmacked, I am. smiley - bigeyes

SC


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2048

healingmagichands

Gosh. This may make me actually watch a press conference.

For several years, it has been my policy, in the interest of my own peace and happiness, to not watch press conferences, national speeches, morning news shows, the 6 o'clock news. I have always known that if there was soemthing happening that I should know about, someone will feel compelled to tell me. So far, I have been right.


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2049

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Bravo to that reporter!


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2050

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Yes, Bush has now admitted, in a press conference, that there was no link between 9/11 and Saddam Hussein. And that there were no WMD's in Iraq when he invaded.


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2051

healingmagichands

Not so much as admitted, as blurted out unwittingly in a fit of rage.smiley - rolleyes If I didn't despise him so much I might almost feel sorry for him.smiley - evilgrin


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2052

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

I couldn't have said that better myself hmh!


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2053

Lentilla (Keeper of Non-Sequiturs)

Weird, huh?

I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like

Reporter: "What did 9/11 have to do with Iraq?"

Bush: "Nothing! But we have to stay the course, blah blah blah..."

So he really is losing it. He says that the war in Iraq is straining the nation's psyche. I think it's straining *his* psyche.

At the risk of offending anybody who might actually still like Bush, I'm going to post this interesting little tidbit from The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It defines antisocial personality disorder as a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others occurring since age 15, as indicated by three (or more) of the following:

1. failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest

Signing statements, anyone? Wiretapping?

2. deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure

Weapons of mass destruction? Oh, sure....

3. impulsivity or failure to plan ahead

Iraq, Katrina, Social Security revamp

4. irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults

He's notorious for his irritability and habit of lashing out at others. "Bring it on!"

5. reckless disregard for safety of self or others

Mountain biking at age 60 isn't the safest behavior - neither is biking through central London. Evidently neither is eating a pretzel.

6. consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain steady work or honor financial obligations

Bush has screwed up every job he's ever had. From Arbusto to governor of Texas, to President.

7. lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another

Sound familiar?

The war in Iraq is the millstone around Bush's neck, but it's not dragging him down, it's just cutting off circulation to his brain.


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2054

Spaceechik, Typomancer

Good. It wasn't just me, then.

oddly, the news has just been hyping that Bush's numbers are UP again. Wasn't anyone listening to that press conference yesterday?

Sometimes this feels like it's just *got* to be a parallel universe...

SC


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2055

healingmagichands

I have a great distrust of polls. It is notoriously easy to manipulate the results by framing the questions in such a way as to elicit the response the pollster "wants". I have been asked several times to contribute to polls: It always throws them for a loop when they ask me "Do you consider yourself a Democrat or a Republican" and I answer "No." "Democrat or Republican?" the poor poll-taker will ask, after a dark and confused silence. "Neither one. I do not consider myself either one." "Democrat or Republican" "What's the difference?" They get stuck on that tape loop. Apparently they cannot continue until you have stated a preference. Anyway, if you don't they won't ask you any more questions.

#5: Reckless disregard for the safety of others: How about sending troops into Iraq without all the proper equipment they need, or a clear plan of action?


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2056

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Which puts Rumsfeld right up there in the dock with Bush.

Apparently, the numbers are terrible in certain regions of the country: 28% approval for Bush in the northeast.


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2057

Scandrea

Once again, Katharine Harris proves:

1) She has no understanding of what the Founding Fathers thought (or their spirituality for that matter) when they were framing the Constitution.

2) She is an embarrassment to Christianity, Floridians, and humanity at large.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/25/AR2006082501640.html?nav=rss_print/asection


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2058

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

>"If you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," Harris told interviewers from the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention.

That is offensive on SO many levels... And by 'Christian' we can be pretty sure she means Southern "Babtiss".


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2059

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Indeed. I believe that Christians have a duty to take an active interest in politics*, but I don't believe that a candidate's religious beliefs should be the overriding concern when making a voting decision. Separation of church and state is a good thing in my view.

* - actually, everyone should take an active interest in politics...


Bush vs. the Press

Post 2060

FG

Do you think she really believes that, or was she pandering to far right Floridians?


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more