A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

Visitor's Forum

Post 41

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

"famous gays names on them"? ROFLAMXXXXXX

Irv: 1. Do you want a sort of header-banner-y thing, mini-pics to turn into buttons? What is the theme (like, road trip to where?)

Ooh, it's really windy out, makes all 3 of my wind chimes go!

Mike: I think that, once you are at university, we will have to arrange for you to have the grand tour over the course of a summer. It will cost you air fare, but I warrant that the h2g2 network can host you and feed you, and take you to REAL places. And six weeks will hardly be enough time.

Furthermore, this can be accomplished without visiting a single amusement park.


Visitor's Forum

Post 42

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Yah like camping, Mike? I can take you places that'll blow your mind...

The trip starts in Phoenix and ends at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre just west of Denver, Colorado, where I'll be going to see Blue Traveler on the fourth of July. It'll include a camping trip somewhere in between -- we're talking northern AZ/ NM, or Southern Co/UT. The four corners area smiley - smiley (This'll cut travel expenses by keeping us out of those pesky hotel rooms!). My friend and I will also meet Marv the Grate and Gw7en in Denver.

I can't decide whether what I'm after is some sort of background image, or a header-banner-y thing. Maybe I'll just say a banner. That'll be good. That'll make the page look sophisticated. smiley - smiley

I can't decide whether it should depict a road, or maybe a rocky mountain skyline. . .

~Irving


Visitor's Forum

Post 43

J'au-æmne

(sneaks in quietly to have a look around)


Visitor's Forum

Post 44

Mike A (snowblind)

Well, ok, if I remember you said this in four years time, then I'll be onto ya!
When I went camping, it was during my little period of obsessing with Watership Down. I bought the sequel during the trip, so when we had the little sods crapping outside our tents, I flipped nearly. They are so cool...

What r u painting 4 Irv now, Lil?


Visitor's Forum

Post 45

Researcher 99947

I think I just might ask wow about that... hehe


Visitor's Forum

Post 46

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Looks like everyone is asleep... Though Mindspring over there looks like he's fairly perky!


Visitor's Forum

Post 47

Garius Lupus

Hello, all. You've really fixed this place up nicely, Lil. We've noticed that thing about the space expanding, too. It must be some sort of spatial dialator from the original UFO. Comes in handy, though.

Ok, about the float page for Crater Labs. I think Affy is away for his spring break and I don't think he said anything about making the page (I haven't checked all the backlog yet - I was away for Easter weekend and work is very busy at the moment). So, it seems that I need to make the page. As a result, I have a few questions: to include the image on the page (or any image on any page), do I need off-site storage for it somewhere? Can I store it on my own PC, or does it have to be on some server somewhere (my PC is networked to our mainframe unix machine, which acts as our server). I am a novice at creating web pages, but I catch on to these sorts of things fast (I do have a degree in computer science, after all). That's all the questions for now - I'm sure I will have more later. smiley - smiley


Visitor's Forum

Post 48

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Steps out of private apartments carrying bowl of assorted greens for Mindspring*
Good morning everybody! Just a moment while I give Mindspring his meal. I think he and Ampton are growing quite attached to each other, because Ampton got him to do a few dance steps that I hadn't seen, last night.
*Ampton takes bowl of greens from Lil and goes into palm tree corner to hang out with Mindspring*

Garius, I reckon I'll leave a bookmark to this thread at the end of the one we left behind so that Affy can rejoin us ... and I suppose I better email him about Ampton and Mindspring, too.

Now, as for how you should manage your page, yes, you will need off-site storage for images in future pages. I assume, however, that Irv will be giving display space to the floats, or am I wrong about that? When Affy gets back I'll see if he wants a sign for Crater Labs, downstairs.

But I can't answer your question about whether you can do what you suggest with your networked PC. I know who can, however: go ask Marvin, Archbishop of the Church of the True Brownie. He is very techie indeed.

*Lil has been fussing in the kitchen area as she talks over her shoulder, and now comes out with tea and a plate of Moebius crullers*

Y'all help yourself.

My badart.com t-shirt arrived yesterday! I bought the one of cowboy Bill. I cantell you that delivery was prompt and the shirt is first rate, the printing quality excellent. And cowboy Bill is just appallingly, hideously wonderful...
*pours tea*


Visitor's Forum

Post 49

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Garius, if you don't have any storage space at Yahoo! Geocities or anything of the like, I can store the float myself. But tell me which you choose, first, because I'm going to need to upload it and then give you the link so that you can stick it on your page.

Lil, have I said anything helpful regarding my own webpage?


Visitor's Forum

Post 50

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

Yes, I think so. What's the deadline? I've had 3 on-site commissions come in, in the last 48 hours. Two are signs which I already have pretty much visualised in my head, but now Bluebottle has requested a sewer full of monsters!

God has paid a visit to my home page and tells me that St. Zax has made arrangements for researchers to have offsite storage for graphics, so perhaps Garius can find room there. You must be feeling the squeeze a bit by now, Irv, with all those floats in your own space.


Visitor's Forum

Post 51

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

Actually, the terms and conditions for Yahoo! Geocities strictly forbids the use of their space for storing graphics primarily for off site links. Which is why I didn't feel nearly as guilty as I should have when I started creating extra accounts smiley - smiley I've got one set up entirely for H2G2 images, one for my own stuff, and two for MP3s of my Billy playing guitar and singing. MP3s take up alot of space. Anyone know where I can get an FTP site for free?

~Irving


Visitor's Forum

Post 52

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

As for deadlines... I suppose the deadline is late June, 'cause I'm leaving on the road trip on the 1st of July. Of course, it'd be better if you could somehow get it to me by May 13, because I'm leaving my T1 connection behind and going home on the 14th...

~Irving


Visitor's Forum

Post 53

Garius Lupus

Thanks for offering to host the float, Irv. I think I'll take you up on that, as work is very busy right now and I don't know when I'd find the time to figure out how to do it (before the parade, that is). The only image of the float that I have is the one I already emailed to you. If you need it in another format, perhaps Lil could send it to you. Thanks again.


Visitor's Forum

Post 54

Mike A (snowblind)

Just popping back in to say hello to Mindspring. Hello Mindspring.

...

Well, he don't seem very talkative ut that is ok considering he is a lazy so-and-so. C u l8er Mindspring.


Visitor's Forum

Post 55

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*faint snoring sound from Mindspring*

Something wall-of-jello-like is going on somewhere and making it very difficult for me to post to threads this afternoon. The who's on popup won't fill at all, but I don't know if it's h2g2 or ISP Mindspring, who took the network down for two hours to do maintenance on authentication procedures. Heaven only knows what the consequences of that might be.

I shall try one more post -- not to the Cafe, Irv, the thread is way too long already, but somewhere short and sweet... I'm going to paint, see y'all in a few hours.

*goes into studio, which has "No Admittance" on door*


Visitor's Forum

Post 56

Mike A (snowblind)

I'm going to watch Mindspring...


Visitor's Forum

Post 57

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

All seems in order, I suppose smiley - smiley The new café forum is up, by the way. . .

~Irving


Visitor's Forum

Post 58

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*Comes out of studio and finds Mike asleep on chaise by Mindspring's cage*
*Ampton is sitting in chair on other side of cage watching Mindspring balance on perch*
*throws a blanket over Mike*
Nothing will hypnotise you like a sleeping sloth. Shame he's missing the tightrope act, eh Ampton? You'll find more greens in the crisper, be a dear and give him a bit of broccoli later on, hm?
*smiles at sleeping Mike and heads for the Aroma Cafe*


Visitor's Forum

Post 59

Irving Washington - Gone Writing

*stands on head to get a new perspective*


Visitor's Forum

Post 60

SE

I just bought my own network... I'm thinking of letting people host their graphics on my site(s)


Key: Complain about this post