A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2181

Mrs Zen

Just one comment, I would not have described it either as "graphic" or "deviant", myself, and I would be reluctant to have the record in this thread apply either of those words to a post by DD.

DD described an event that took place between himself and another child when they were both children, pre-teens from the sound of it. He described it with elegance, economy and wit, and in a non-titilating way.

smiley - tea

An interesting thought that a teacher might use the Atelier threads for teaching good English. I think that you are yanking our collective chains, there, Oetzi! I would be horrified to think that any child of mine was being taught to spell the way that I type.

Ben


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2182

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

Precisely


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2183

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I agree with you Ben. Homosexuality is not deviant.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2184

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

I don't believe the subject warrants furter discussion.
ITC is an integral cross curricular tool...I was not jesting.
End of discussion.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2185

Mrs Zen

"End of discussion" is not your call, Oetzi.

I confess to being curious about how computers are being used in UK schools, and it is an extremely valid subject within a web community.

I fully accept you weren't joking, but your comment has sparked some curiosity in my mind. How *are* they using the Internet in our schools?

There was of course the infamous Prof Burnham in the US who tried to use H2G2 as a place for his writing class to post essays and things. I was annoyed with Prof Burnham. I wanted to arrange to meet with him last year to discuss what he was trying to do and how successful or unsucessful from his point of view the experience had been. The fact that my trip was eventually cancelled is no excuse for him ignoring my polite and nicely worded emails.

Ben


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2186

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I think Oetzi's opinions are certainly worthy of further discussion. The Atelier has hitherto been a liberal place where anything may be discussed in an accepting and trusting atmosphere. Here we have one researcher describing another's behaviour as deviant. Surely that's worthy of comment?


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2187

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

Well I tell you what...I see we are on one of your little ego hikes..why not ask a Home Office representative.?


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2188

Mrs Zen

smiley - huh


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2189

Phil

Oetzi, can you please define what you think a deviant is. Not say I should look in the OED, ask the home office (if I ask them who should I ask? Mr Blunkett?) I want to know your opinion on the matter as you must have one since you've said one of the researchers here is deviant. If you don't have an opinion on what deviancy is and can't define you're take on it then how can you claim someone is deviant.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2190

Demon Drawer

Firstly the actions that I discribed occuered to me not as the youthful inexperience recipient with another child.

Secondly members of BBCi have to be over 16 therefore are not minors anymore, or at least shouldn't be, unless someone has something to confess in here.

As for devient behaviour what I did described was far from being devient and could just have easily occured in a game of smiley - doctor and smiley - nurse which was being discussed in the thread anyway.

Also as for devient behaviour anyone considering homosexuals as devients is out of touch with reality especially around here or on any community website, but the above posts I think already emphasis that point.

DD

smiley - blue


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2191

GreyDesk

I presume you are going to appeal against that moderation decision.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2192

Mrs Zen

This is a meme that could rapidly get out of hand.

In fairness Phil, Oetzi did not say that DD or any other researcher "is deviant".

Oetzi described a childish game which ended in oral sex as 'graphic sexual deviance involving children'.

DD was economical in his posting, he certainly was not graphic, and so it is hard to confirm exactly what he was saying. It was however 100% clear that the only participants were children - it did not 'involve' children - it took place 'between' children. Different.

smiley - tea

Oetzi then stated that it was objectionable because the thread is read by 'juniors'.

I observed that it is a pretty moot point whether the description of an encounter *between* children could be offensive *to* children, but that there was a possibility that the post could draw the attention of those who are sexually attracted to children. I then speculated that the post would be pulled on that basis.

Oetzi then said that the post threatened children. (Personally I don't think it did, but if I was a mod, I would probably have referred it to the Italics to be on the safe side).

smiley - tea

Anyway, it is hard to tell exactly what Oetzi was describing as "deviance": whether it was the homosexual nature of the encounter or the fact that both participants in a spontanious sexual encounter were children.

He has certainly not yet described any individual as "deviant".

Ben


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2193

Demon Drawer

Too Right


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2194

Mrs Zen

Oh, and I thought it was a funny and appropriate story, DD, nicely told. It made me laugh.

B


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2195

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

Yes, that is all a bit mystifying, Ben.

Presumably ego hike = ego-trip, reinforcing the image I have of myself. Does saying that Oetzi's comments are worthy of discussion reinforce my self-image? It's a pretty fair and balanced thing to say and I like to think of myself as fair and balanced so perhaps he's right. But on those grounds, that means that anything we do that we consider to be positive action must be an ego-trip, which is perhaps not a helpful definition of ego-trip.

I amy be able to shed light on the Home Office reference because Oetzi has recently said in another thread that incidences of racism on h2g2 should be reported to them. Pesumably this is because the Home Office is against racism - I don't think anyone would argue with that.

Oetzi, are you saying that the Home Office is against homosexuality? Since laws outlawing discrimination against homosexuals has recently come into force, I can't help feeling that you're mistaken.

In fact, I'd hazard the view that the law in the UK treats homophobia as seriously as racism and other forms of bigotry.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2196

Demon Drawer

That too righ was to Grey Desk.

However to Ben if the talking of Child sex games is the reason for the smiley - yikesing there are various other postings innthe thread should have also been smiley - yikesed

DD

smiley - devil


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2197

Phil

Ok I didn't quite get my post correct. Several hours have passed since first reading the thread (after the posting was pulled so I have not read it's content) when I've had to be concentrating on other things.
So on re-reading I will admit I was wrong to think that Oetzi had said that a particular person was deviant.

In the light of this I will modify what I wrote to ask Oetzi, what is deviancy? And I would like and answer from him that doesn't refer me to the OED, the Home Office or other bodies of that ilk. I want to understand what Oetzi views on deviancy are.


Removed

Post 2198

Oetzi Oetztaler....Anti Apartheid

This post has been removed.


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2199

Demon Drawer

*Decides not to mention that he is an ex-civil servant with contacts in the Home Office*


64Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2200

Mrs Zen

No worries Phil. It is just that I have seen memes like this whiplash into witch-hunts incredibly rapidly, despite the fact that most of the time most of the backlog is there for all to see. Hence, (if you will forgive the description), my anally retentive approach to accuracy in these situations.

smiley - tea

>> Anyway, it is hard to tell exactly what Oetzi was describing as "deviance": whether it was the homosexual nature of the encounter or the fact that both participants in a spontanious sexual encounter were children.

>> In the light of this I will modify what I wrote to ask Oetzi, what is deviancy? And I would like and answer from him that doesn't refer me to the OED, the Home Office or other bodies of that ilk. I want to understand what Oetzi views on deviancy are.


Me too.

In subjects of this nature it is incredibly easy to jump to conclusions about other people's stances.

It is always possible that Oetzi thought he was reading about an encounter between an adult and a child, and reacted accordingly.

Ben


Key: Complain about this post