A Conversation for LIL'S ATELIER

86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2081

Coniraya

I'm hyphenated RL.

Rearranged my day to get into town at the crack of dawn to deposit cheques and replace the electric toothbrush which gave up the ghost over the weekend. Got home before it started warming up. I'm not over fond of this heat.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2082

Phil

Just got round to listening to something that people here might like. There is a series on BBC Radio 4 called Imagining Albion looking at british sci-fi. I missed the first one talking about utopias and have just listened to the second on invasions. Certainly worth a listen to fans of the genre - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/imaginingalbion/


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2083

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2084

Hypatia

*carefully doesn't mention anything about the weather except to say that it's already hot and it's only 7 am*

I am battening down the hatches and preparing for arriving hootooizens. I have one asleep in a tent in the back yard and another asleep on a air bed on the back porch. Annie and Minerva have had loads of attention and are pretty much convinced that everyone is coming just to admire them. Rocky, Chico and Molly are slinking around refusing to make friends. They will agree to come in to have their breakfast but that'a about it.

I have a wonderful cookie recipe I probably should drag out before the troops arrive. But I'm really not in a baking mood at the moment. And don't want to be right in the middle of somethng like that and then have to go pick up Bagpuss at the bus station. I'm anxious to begin his decivilization. Seriously, I hope it isn't too much of a culture shock for him. At least it will be an adventure.
smiley - biggrin


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2085

marvthegrate LtG KEA

I wish I could be there still.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2086

J'au-æmne

Having a strange day today - apparently my artistic abilities have reached the level where someone wants to pass off a piece I made as their own on deviantart... happily a friend of mine pointed out to the culprit the link to my original, and they took it down.

I'm also on the market for advice from cat owners; a cat is trynig to adopt my mum, but he's bitten her a couple of times. I was going to post the full story here but it got kind of long so I put it in ask instead: F19585?thread=3217857

*tries to think of things that need doing in the server room where there's airconditioning*


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2087

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

I wish I were in Missouri, too. smiley - envy But I have a whole ark of animals to look after, now, and some invoicing to do.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2088

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

I have a strong sense of impending Freddy. I'm dashing around trying to get things done before it starts. The sensation is a bit like knitting faster as you get to the end of a ball of wool.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2089

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

*joins the jealous people wishing they were in Webb City*


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2090

STRANGELY STRANGE ( A brain on a spring )

Yikes, they have upped the heat warning for the 2nd time in a day or so.
I realise that in America they have hotter weather and for longer, and that we have had hotter than the 32c today, we hade 100f a couple of years ago, but in France just a few years ago around 20,000 peope died from heat related problems and they more or less went into disaster mode as health service was at breaking point.
I think America seems to have more airconditioning than UK and we aren't too bad for one very hot day, but a string wears down peoples ability to cope, particularly if elderly. I went to Homebase and they had airconditioning units and fans being bought in on trollies to keep up, and they were being bought really fast. There are small units from a modest £50 to around £300, with tiny fans like I bought for only £6, but for one room, one person ,they are fine.
It is babies and older people I worry about, particularly older people who refuse to drink much.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2091

Bagpuss

*waves from Webb City*

Hello there! I've made it after 7 hours on the plane and umpteen on the Greyhound bus (flew to Toronto because I'm meeting people there as well). I'm just trying to get to grips with Hyp's American keyboard.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2092

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

[GDZ]


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2093

FG

It was 90°F-something yesterday, and I spent most of it submerged to my neck in a nearby lake. I think I coped with the heat very well. smiley - smiley

How many hootooers are coming to Webb City? Anyone, besides Bagpuss, we know?


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2094

Amy the Ant - High Manzanilla of the Church of the Stuffed Olive

*waves at Baggers*

How do American keyboards differ from European ones?


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2095

marvthegrate LtG KEA

The layout can be different I know. I have a laptop that has a UK keyboard on it. Mostly the special characters seem different.

It's going to be bloody hot in the triangle today. In the high 90s. It's also very very humid.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2096

Mr. Cyde: The Tearer and Master of Bad Jokes.

It's pretty hot here 97f but I am handleing it well. I still have to bike 30 blocks from school about three times a week and be my mom's yard slave. J (pregnant wife) is havoing a bad time though. She almost blacked out at work. We're getting her to drink lots more water!

As much as I would like to go there, I am where I want to be.

One more class to finnish for the quarter!


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2097

Asteroid Lil - Offstage Presence

*also waves to Bagpuss*
*switches on her air conditioner, determined to stay in her office as much as possible*

No more horses. smiley - sadface The owners have moved up here to their home in Lincoln, and have decided to keep the horses at their place indefinitely.


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2098

Mr. Dreadful - But really I'm not actually your friend, but I am...

*waves to Bagpuss* smiley - envy


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2099

Good Doctor Zomnker (This must be Tuesday," said GDZ to himself, sinking low over his Dr. Pepper, "I never could get the hang of Tuesdays.")

That's not good Cyde, make sure you bring plenty of water to the park tomorrow!


86Xth Conversation at Lil's

Post 2100

Santragenius V

>Note to self, an air mattress is not necessarily a bad thing to have in a tent
Probably not - but they're a pain to carry around... Note to self though: Buy a slightly longer and a bit thicker self-inflatable mat soon... (therm-a-rest kind)

Must confess not to have read any Pratchett. At least not yet..

>Croquet & "we have made a few rule changes for the meet"
OOohhh - fellow enthusiasts smiley - biggrin Our silly hat is mandatory is your ball hits the plum tree - which is most often does when somebody else makes it smiley - evilgrin. And the rules are 4 A4 pages long - as is needed as our regular players (we've played the annual tournament for 14 years now!) are very creative!

>Did I mention I'm babysitting 3 horses, a mule, 4 lapdogs and a dozen cats?
One of the other scout leaders were off afterwards babysitting llamas for a week - in Denmark...smiley - bigeyes

*waves to sunny* Hope to see you longer next time smiley - winkeye

Well spoken, GDZ smiley - applause

Nice smiley - cat pics, Lil smiley - smiley

More congratulations, Kelli smiley - smiley

Pics from the scouting camp - titles are in Danish, sorry... http://www.ravnehus.dk/sommerlejr2006/index.html

Have fun in the Ozarks... smiley - smiley


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more