A Conversation for Go Go Gadget, err, Gadget

Syntax error

Post 1

Jim Lynn

The syntax suggested for the PULLDOWN gadget is not valid XML.

isn't any kind of XML element. Presumably it should be something like this:

Displayed Text


Syntax error

Post 2

Bruce

Fair enough, I'll amend it - every day at h2g2 is a learning daysmiley - smiley

;^)#
eeek, official attention alreadysmiley - winkeye


Syntax error

Post 3

Jim Lynn

I didn't want to seem abrupt or anything, Bruce, it's just that I didn't want everyone to get a false idea of what XML should look like.

Apart from the typos, you've done a great job as always. smiley - smiley


Syntax error

Post 4

Bruce

Oh dear, I didn't think you were being abrupt - just business like & frantically busy - thanks for dropping bysmiley - smiley

typos - well what do you expect if you put a keyboard in front of me - it's sort of a signature thingsmiley - winkeye

;^)#


Syntax error

Post 5

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

One major thing we must consider is quantity. If the same XML tag is used for the ACElist, SUBlist and a generic list, and a research puts all three on the same page then the scripts would not work due to similarly named abjects, variables and functions. So either some form of array system is devised to allow as many of the same tag as wanted, or gadgets which have fundamentally different uses (such as the ACElist is contrast to the generic list) should receive unique tags. So what do you think about that? smiley - smiley


Gadget Ideas

Post 6

Pastey

I think we come up with the ideas and let the tech guys sort out the practicalitiessmiley - smiley

As for ideas? Well, you could probably just copy a list of the gadget type scripts from places like the JavaScript Resource, Infohiway, or Webmonkey.

I know one thing that I've seen around a bit on users pages is those changing link colours. I hate it myself but it seems used.

Another one that went through a fads was the obvious clock. Digital that is. I did actually come up with an analogue one that I was rather proud of though. I think that it's in Shazz'z Post Office.

Something that I've seen on a couple of homepages is that one where your mouse pointer is followed around the screen by a picture. I believe Ant has an ant and Shazz has a rolled up newspaper. These are kinds funky, but they do tend to slow things down a little. I know that you can get different cursors, I believe it's a company called Comet that do them. I think a variation on that would be nice, where the researcher could choose his own cursor for use within h2g2. Not really a gadget as such, but a nice ideasmiley - smiley

I'll come up with moresmiley - smiley
smiley - fish


Syntax error

Post 7

Bruce

I got multiple lists to work just fine here http://www.h2g2.com/A357635 simply by modifying the function name to reflect the interface flavour.
eg function goLink, goLinkRadio, goLinkCMD.

Though I didn't bother to fully recode the ACEs one (because of the highly 'unusual' requirements imposed by having only part of the code in a .js file) I did rename the function so it was goLink based just to check that it didn't get confused with the other copiessmiley - smiley. Admittedly, 2 copies of the ACEs lists will cause j/script errors - but this is due to their unusual structure stemming from the use of the .js file. I notice you used code different to the textarea examples to get them to work on the same page to get around this problem.

The fact that the HTML page output by h2g2 contains multiple copies of the same function doesn't seem the phase the browser. It might be 'sloppy' but it works.

It would be up to h2g2 to decide if they wanted to go to the trouble of only allowing one copy of the function to be output - I think they can cut code better than I.

I suppose I'm aiming for a functional specification rather than a set of finished code to mail to h2g2 (eg should the user be able to set the default 'this/new window value' or should it always default to a particular value?). Otherwise, I think we'll get bogged down in the minute details.

I don't think the fact that a pulldown list contains a different list of URLs means it has a 'fundamentally different use'. It's use remains the same - provide a compact list of links on a page. And why have more tags than necessary for users to learn - part of the idea behind Gadgets is, apparently, that they be very easy to use.

How's that?smiley - smiley

;^)#


Gadget Ideas

Post 8

Bruce

So are you voting for the changing link colours(ggggRRRrrrr) & the clock Pastey?

;^)#


Gadget Ideas

Post 9

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

I am currently developing my scripts to be ready for XSLT. I'm not just looking at the specs but the practical use. As I said, the only way to enable several of the same tags is that the functions are named differently, as are the FORM names or elements. I disagree about having separate tags. It's not difficult to learn. If the acelist was an tag and the general list was the , for example, then all customised lists would use the same tag, while the official centralised Acelist would be a simple open-close tag.
I personally would hate to see the changing link colours or Comet Cursors. I don't like them. But I still think they should be allowed. I disagree that a gadget must be "useful" - it should be there to allow the researcher to customise their page a bit more. So I would vote to allow them.
Anyway, I was just saying that I am currently working on the ACELIST and Pull-down list code, making it as customisable as possible to try and replace the loss of javascript. So please tell me any feature you think should be included smiley - smiley.


Gadget Ideas

Post 10

Jim Lynn

One thing that the WHO-IS-ONLINE gadget does is make sure that only one copy of the javascript function is placed in the page, even if it's referenced more than once. I see the other gadgets doing the same thing. It's easy in the stylesheet - in your header section you output only those functions which you know are referenced in the page itself, then in the template for the gadget itself you just need to reference the existing functions, not write new ones in.


Gadget Ideas

Post 11

Researcher 99947

how about support to change link colour and bground colour? It is widely used now, and people seem to hold quite an affinity to it.

True colours, shining through


Gadget Ideas

Post 12

Bruce

"If the acelist was an tag and the general list was the , for example, then all customised lists would use the same tag, while the official centralised Acelist would be a simple open-close tag."

Do you envisage there being separate tags for other 'official' groups SUBEDSLIST, GUIDEMLPILOTLIST, FIELDRESEARCHERLIST, SCOUTACESLIST, GUIDEMLGURUSLIST (when there's more than one gurusmiley - winkeye)and any other new 'official' h2g2 groups that arise? Or are ACEs a special case?
What about large unofficial groups, will there be an COtTBLIST, COWLIST, COtTWLIST, ANGELLIST, POSTLIST tag?

Or would it be easier if there was just one tag where only the data in the list differed?smiley - smiley

"Anyway, I was just saying that I am currently working on the ACELIST and Pull-down list code, making it as customisable as possible to try and replace the loss of javascript.So please tell me any feature you think should be included"

Isn't that what we're doing?smiley - winkeye Are there any features or interface options (like this http://www.h2g2.com/A362585 ) you think should be added to what's already been mentioned here?

;^)#


Splitting the threads

Post 13

Bruce

I've taken the liberty of starting some new threads on each of the Gadget ideas raised here - otherwise this one could get seriously confusingsmiley - smiley

;^)#


Splitting the threads

Post 14

Pastey

Good thinking Batmansmiley - smiley

One I have suddenly thought off, the chess programme runs on JavaScript. Errr.... could something be done about that to keep it up and running? I admit I haven't been over there recently so I'm not sure if anyone's using it still, but there are around 25 registered players.

I did remember another one that's in popular use, but can't think of it just now.

smiley - fish


Gadget Ideas

Post 15

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

I'm not a snobbish ACE if that's what you're implying smiley - winkeye.
But I do think the ACE list is a special case as it is something very common and is meant to be a way for a newbie to get help quickly and directly. I like the sublist (thought I don't have it on my page) as it allows sub-eds to find other sub-eds to get advice from. But with such centralised lists, I worry that the system used might undermine security, unless a comma-separation database file is used (which would then require something on h2g2 to interpret it). Otherwise, the lists could be done a simpler way (such as how the ACElist currently works) but then h2g2 would have to host them all.
"Isn't that what we're doing?" - Yes, an I am following this forum. I have already devised a way to have the different types of list (Radio, Command and plain) except that Option is the default as it is the most common one on h2g2. I also allowed for two types of plain called "This" and "New" - this opens the link in THIS window, and new in a NEW window, on the clicking of a button. But I enjoy writing the XSLT code. I'm not trying to undermine you or something, I'm just trying, like you, to get these h2g2gadgets going smiley - smiley.


Gadget Ideas

Post 16

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

Oh, and I'm not sure that the LinkOmatic (the link you put) should be part of the same gadget. It means the parser has a lot of code to sift through. But tell you what, I'll think about what kind of code it would take to combine your framework with it and we'll see if it's feasable (sic). I'd love there to be a ROTATE="speed of" in the gadget - that will be interesting smiley - smiley.


Splitting the threads

Post 17

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

Pastey: Yeah, there are many scripts out there - the pool table for example. The ICQlist is another javascript-reliant script but it is not ready to be a gadget. If a javascript ban does take place, I will move my script onto my server. I don't know if scripts that there are only one copy of on h2g2 should be made into gadgets, t'would be nice but unlikely smiley - smiley.


Splitting the threads

Post 18

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

Sorry about all these messages.
I finally got the 'LinkOmatic' to work under Netscape 6. Could someone using Netscape 4.x visit http://www.h2g2.com/A362585 and tell me if it works for them? (the text box should give a description each time and the list selection should rotate).


Splitting the threads

Post 19

Alon (aka Mr.Cynic)

Just to add to your reading, Bruce, I though I'd direct you to http://www.h2g2.com/A362602 . I took your structure and did some amendments and I'd like to here what you think. As my name states, I do not like being idealistic. However, the listing I developed it into is very optomistic. I am now trying to see how it can be done in XSLT. I hope it can (without being too messy). But I'd like to know if there are any more features we can add to the pull-down list smiley - smiley.


Gadget Ideas

Post 20

Bruce

Just trying to stir up some debate smiley - winkeye

;^)#


Key: Complain about this post