A Conversation for The Horse and Groom - Home of the h2g2 Beerfest

Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 61

Skankyrich [?]

Over 8 (143-4): The skipper turns to his spinner. Gayle gets to his fifty with a three and receives warm applause from the home crowd, but three balls later Cahill beats him in the flight and Bradley makes a smart stumping. There's life in this game yet, but one suspects the Cavaliers may regret those expensive early overs.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 62

Skankyrich [?]

Over 9 (150-6): Johns is dragging this back for the Cavaliers. Sangakkarra is yorked with the first ball of his over, and Afridi is stumped off the last. Just eight from the over, too, and the World XI need a partnership from somewhere.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 63

Skankyrich [?]

Over 10 (162-7): Malan departs, trapped lbw by Cahill, and the match is suddenly on a knife-edge. Broad and Vettori see out the rest of the over, and 14 have come from it. The rate is just 8.3 an over now, but the World XI have just three wickets left.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 64

Skankyrich [?]

Over 11 (180-7): Vettori has got to grips with Johns's bowling, and demolishes the big seamer's figures with three boundaries. 18 from that over, and the momentum is swinging back towards the World XI.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 65

AlexAshman


I can't watch! *covers eyes*


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 66

Skankyrich [?]

Over 12 (199 for 7): Cahill's good economy takes a pounding, too, as Vettori and Broad pick him off for quick runs. Vettori then sweeps the spinner first for four, then for six. Bowling changes coming up at both ends, you feel.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 67

Mu Beta

I am still here, by the way. BT cut me off for a quarter of an hour there.

B


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 68

Skankyrich [?]

Over 13 (206-8): The bowling change pays immediate dividends, as Blagden rips Broad's off-stump out of the ground first ball. Morkel's first ball is edged, but doesn't carry - a real let-off. Seven runs from the over, and just 39 needed to win now.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 69

Skankyrich [?]

You've come back just as it's got exciting, anyway...


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 70

Skankyrich [?]

Over 14 (224-8): The ball is thrown to Barrow, and the change almost works immediately, but Lissenden misses a low chance in the covers. It's a costly miss, as Morkel and Vettori take 18 more off the over. Just 21 to win now.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 71

bobstafford

Brakspear EPA 4.2

Good full bodied fruty flavour excellent

smiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - alesmiley - empty/5


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 72

Skankyrich [?]

Over 15 (231-9): Unbelievable scenes here. Vettori is the subject of good lbw shouts off the first two balls of the over, before calmly pulling a short one for six. A visibly furious Blagden then bowls Vettori through the gate, almost has Malinga run out on his first ball, then puts down a sharp chance from Morkel off the last ball of the over. Wonderful cricket. Who dares to bowl next?


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 73

Mu Beta

You couldn't make it up, could you?

B


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 74

Skankyrich [?]

Over 16 (241-9): Johns takes the ball and has Malinga top-edging the ball into space second ball. No boundaries, but even so 10 come from the over. World XI need five to win. The ball is thrown to J Ryder; expensive and wicketless earlier, but the fastest bowler on the team. The next over will surely decide the contest.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 75

AlexAshman


*edge of seat*


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 76

There is only one thing worse than being Gosho, and that is not being Gosho

*Skips over the entire backlogue*

Got me a pint of Pecan Porter from the (512) Brewing Company of Austin.

The first thing you notice about this pint is that it's blacker than Guinness. If you had a Black and tan made with it (and I have smiley - tongueout), the Guinness actually looks lighter than the porter. When you pull on the tap handle and this stuff starts to pour into the glass you'd swear you were pouring oil straight out of a Texas oilfield. Kinda puts the Beverly Hillbillies theme tune in your head.

The head is darker than any head I've ever seen - it's like the foam on a mocha, except darker. Personally I can't taste any pecans in this beer, but it screams 'ROASTED MALT' at me. There's coffee and a hint of chocolate here. It's perfectly balanced - not over-hopped at all, and there's a wonderful bitter sftertaste.

Oi'll give it foive smiley - stoutsmiley - stoutsmiley - stoutsmiley - stoutsmiley - stout

I wish I had time for another but I have to get home and get some dinner.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 77

Skankyrich [?]

Over 16.1 (243-9): Morkel runs the ball down to third man, where the fielder slips and gifts the batsmen another single. Ryder is furious - he'd be delighted to be bowling at Malinga instead of Morkel.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 78

Skankyrich [?]

Over 16.2 (244-9): Morkel nicks the ball past the keeper and almost to the boundary, but third man makes amends, cuts it off and throws in to keep it to a single. The scores are tied.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 79

Skankyrich [?]

Over 16.3 (244-9): A hopeful lbw shout is cruelly turned down by the umpire. Replays show it was probably going down leg.


Fertive Beerfest and Cricket Match

Post 80

AlexAshman


*edge of edge of seat*


Key: Complain about this post