A Conversation for Obituary - Peter Jones

Cheers Douglas

Post 1

Demon Drawer

This is a very touching tribute from someone who actually knew the man. I've informed John-the-gardener so he can add to the other tributes already on the H2G2 Obituary Page http://www.h2g2.com/A280595


Cheers Douglas

Post 2

msmonsy

i am glad to see that you have done that smiley - smiley
we are hoping to have something in the Post as well.
monsy smiley - fish


Cheers Douglas

Post 3

Demon Drawer

I think use Douglas's and refer to the others. I've just scraped the e-mail I was working on on this one.


Cheers Douglas

Post 4

msmonsy

i was just thinking the same thing....after reading through his again i cannot think of it being written any better. guess i should get permission to reprint it in the Post for this week smiley - smiley
monsy smiley - fish


Cheers Douglas

Post 5

Richard

I knew, indeed know, a Peter Jones very well, but not this Peter Jones. Now, after reading your piece, I feel I've met him. Thank you.


Cheers Douglas

Post 6

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

It's wonderful to have confirmed the idea that we all have of Peter Jones: that he was a man of almost supernatural niceness. Such people are rare, and knowing that he was of that precious few makes missing him all the more poignant and true.

JTG


Cheers Douglas

Post 7

Wowbagger

It's both touching and sad that a person could be missed having never met him.
I wish I had now.


Cheers Douglas

Post 8

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Ditto


Cheers Douglas

Post 9

Fruitbat (Eric the)

Well said, Douglas.

This reminds me strongly of the piece that Harlan Ellison wrote about his final meeting with George Pal, over Pal's desire to start a new film and Ellison's inability - at the time - to commit to the project, which meant it didn't happen.

I start thinking about the number of performers, whether they're disembodied voices that we react to, or people we see (ir)regularly on film or tape, and how little we really know of them as people. Watching a brilliant performance only tells us that someone's gifted and gives everything they have to a performance; what they're like as people, to meet or to work with, is often less well-known.....even if they're connected with something legendary or bearing of cult-status.

I wonder how many other performers will come to be known by the masses only after their deaths? I've only learnt about him from reading this entry, yet he made a valuable contribution to the Guide. Rest well, Peter, and happy reading.

Fruitbat


Cheers Douglas

Post 10

Chris Tonks

I really loved the way Peter read the lines for HHGG. After listening to the tapes, I then read the book exactly like he spoke it. I now always read everything in a voice similar to his. He was a great man.
- The Big C


Cheers Douglas

Post 11

Chaotic Illuminator

As I read DA's obituary, I could hear Peter Jones in my head, reading the classic passages which just wouldn't have been the same without him. It is impossible to conceive of the Book ever having any other voice.

Wonderful to hear that he was indded such a nice man in person - as one would want the Book to be!

A sad day for HHGG fans everywhere, but also a chance to take delight in Peter's huge contribution to the legend.


Cheers Douglas

Post 12

Bob The Frog

Peter Jones will for ever be the voice of the book. It was not a mistake bringing the Guide to telly *BECAUSE* he added the gravitas that was necessary for it to be taken seriously (?) I only started listening to Just A Minute on the strength of his performance on HHGTTG, and yes, he was allowed more leeway than others, but when the score doesn't matter, and when the other contestents were happy to let it happen because of the affection they felt for him, who could be happier?I'll miss him, as I did Willie Rushton, but I'll be proud to tell my grandchildren that I heard him.


Cheers Douglas

Post 13

TimJ (ACE)

How do I find words for this?

I think that it is incredible that everybody has set out to write alll of this here. I too find that I am missing sombody I never met, and now wish that I was able to have that honor. Well done, and thank you for bringing a part of this clearly great person to all of us.

Tim


Cheers Douglas

Post 14

beeline

Just put any episode of Hitchhiker's on the stereo and you'll see that he will never really die. Even open the book and read - you'll hear his voice immediately. smiley - smiley


Cheers Douglas

Post 15

The Researcher formally known as Dr St Justin

If you measure a persons existence by the effects they have, rather than just the length of time they are alive for, surely Peter Jones will be one of the few who is here forever.


Key: Complain about this post