We would also be happy to feature your own personal favourite recipe but do remember that you should not submit anything which may be copyright. Send your suggestions or recipes to Shazz.
Auntie Bat's Spice Cookies
(a great base cookie recipe for Snickerdoodles or Thumbprints)
Yield: approximately 4 dozen
- 12oz - 300g, 3 cups - unbleached flour (I like high gluten flour for baking)
- 8oz - 225g, 1 cup - sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp lemon peel (fresh if you can)
- 4oz - 125g, ½ cup - butter
- 4oz - 125g, ½ cup - margarine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2¼ tsp vanilla
- Heat oven to 400°F - 200°C, Gas Mark 6.
- Sift/combine dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Cut in butter and margarine until it's mealy in consistency.
- Beat vanilla into the eggs and mix in.
- Refrigerate until firm (at least a couple hours if possible).
Roll into balls and coat in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon (I actually use sugar and pie spice instead). Let sit and re-roll to double coat (triple coat – whatever gives you the most joy). Place on cookie sheet and mash slightly with your hand.
Roll into balls then flatten on cookie sheet with your hand. Make an indentation with your finger (I use a wine cork sprayed with oil) and fill indentation with your favourite jam or preserves.
Bake for 10-12 minutes.
You can roll out the little balls, mash slightly and freeze then place in a freezer bag and you can make cookies on the fly when you need to (they thaw quickly) by just putting them on a cookie sheet on the countertop while the oven is heating up.