A Conversation for Talking Point: Most Embarrassing Moments

Nicnames and their origins

Post 1

Fraggle

My nickname is Fraggle. As in the small puppets created by the late great Jim Henson. Small, red haired creatures that bounce around under a lighthouse are not normally comparable to RS teachers, but here's hw I got the nickname...

I grew my ridiculously curly hair. It was that annoying length where it JUST gets in your eyes all the time. Being an alternative type, I also decided to dye the old barnet. Red. Pillar box red. So far so hoopy.

Then I went to a festival. Me and some mates signed up for the 5-a-side football tournament. I was on the wing (i.e. doing piss all). For some reason my hair was annoying me more than ever, so I nicked some hairbands from the resident girlfriends and put up my hair in two bunches. I could see - result!

Then came the call: "someone mark that f**king Fraggle." I am now a respectable 26 year old teacher whose friends refer to him - still - as Fraggle. Takes some explaining at times. My partner calls me Fraggle, but being a David in reality, that's what her Mum calls me. So numerous people who know the aforementioned Mum assumed that my dearly beloved was seeing two blokes at the same time.

Point 1: never dye your hair red and put it in bunches if it's curlier than a brillo pad.

Point 2: never introduce yourself using your nickname to a large number of people. It'll stick like a turd to your slippers...


Nicnames and their origins

Post 2

wind152, aka spaz. When I die, the world will cease to exist because it will no longer have anything to revolve around

I recently acquired the nickname "Snowball". It comes from my hoby of DJing. I was DJing this dance, and it was going great, when someone requested a snowball. Now if you don't know what a snowball is, it's when the dance floor and the dance is started with two predetermined people. When the DJ calls switch, the couple breaks and grabs two new partners, so now there's four people on the floor, it keeps on going and the number of people grow - like a snowball. So I started it, I announced that it was a snowball, but I had forgotten exactly what it was, I was thinking of something completely different and made a huge fool of myself. In fact, I left my friend to finish DJing the dance while I went and hid outside. It's a scar that will stick as long as I DJ.


Spaz

Which is another of my nicknames, and fortunately this one isn't embarrassing, but I did get it from a dancesmiley - winkeye


Nicnames and their origins

Post 3

Fraggle

My only knowledge of anyone else with the nickname Snowball is a character in "Clerks", the Kevin Smith movie. Something to do with having semen kissed back into your mouth after fellatio (to put it politely). Now THAT would be embarrassing!

I once stagedived out of a DJ booth and forgot about switching tunes. That was a bit of a berk moment...


Nicnames and their origins

Post 4

madmonk-of wine and wibble, contemplator of those little specks you can only see in the sunlight and everyone says are NOT dust

I had a bunch of friends who used to call me Cornelius, after the rooster on the corn flakes box. This was because I had a 10 inch blood red and floresant yellow mohawk, at the time, that looked sort of like that dangly rubbery thingy roosters have, except on the top of my head. Sometimes they called me Corny *groan* but really, Cornelius was much MUCH worse, seing as how I am a girl.smiley - biggrin


Nicnames and their origins

Post 5

Cardi

I know this thread was started a while ago but I may as well post my nickname up,

A select group of my mates know me as Dog-Boy (in fact I've even got my own dog bowl with my name on it.) Now I got this name one new years day, I was obviously still quite merry from new years eve and played a game of rugby, now like any game of rugby it involved a lot of drinking so hence I got fairly drunk again fairly quickly.

Roll on to about 3:00 n the morning that day and I'm quite comprehesively slurring and some how the conversation swing around to the subject of sheep dog trials! I proudly annouced that my great aunt WAS a working sheep dog (instead of OWNED a working sheep dog) so from that day on my family have a bit of collie in the bloodline and I'm the Dog-Boy!


Key: Complain about this post